Midwinter

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

station

Midwinter

Post by station » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:00 pm

This, along with the sequel is in my top 10 games of all time. I just liked the atmosphere, and have not played it since so as not to ruin my memories ... ah.

But anyway, I have a vague memory of being able to travel by cable car in the game? Am I imagining this?
I felt it was so atmospheric and would love to see something inspired by this (and the sequel) being made today. There wasn't much story (if any), just atmosphere and longetivity (to entertain my 12 year old mind). :)

thevulture

Re: Midwinter

Post by thevulture » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Been years since i played this gem of a game and spent more time on the sequel, but yes, you could travel by Ski lift, plus ski, hang glide and use Snow mobiles, from what i recal.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:06 pm

Ahh, the glories that were Midwinter and Midwinter 2 Flames of freedom on my trusty old Amiga. Awesome games. 8)

To be honest I haven't really dabbled in Amiga emulation since way back in the late 90s when I tried (and tried and tried and tried) in vain to get WinUAE to work. After about a month solid I gave up in disgust and never went back. :cry:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:50 pm

I have got Midwinter on the ST, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:57 pm

There is an easy way to complete the game in a few hours....Best not mention that.Hang Gliding was tricky at 1st, Skiing? The real life 'Transversing' tactic worked in the game.Also seem to Remember ARCADE magazine at the time hinting of a PS2 update to the midwinter series, alas, nothing ever came of it.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:27 pm

A-Ha, Found said Arcade magazine! March 2000: ' mike is just beginning to put togather a threequel to midwinter, working title Skyfall year zero:total midwinter.Based on Midwinter, but with surprises in store.as for the gameplay?-Well it`s gonna knock everybody`s socks off' Was planned for PS2 and Dolphin (game cube)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:57 pm

Was a good game , but much of it was simply traversing the landscape , delivering things people wanted to be on your side

Personally I preferred Hunter , which was very similar , but played in 3rd person perspective
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:59 pm

I've not played Midwinter properly but spent a fair amount of time with its sequel. I tried to revisit it a few years ago via an ST emulator and the load times are appalling. Its a neat idea in theory, jumping from vehicle to foot to vehicle, but I'm not sure it really worked until GTA3. Put those two side by side and there's more in common than you might expect.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Ah, a game I always wanted to get into but found it really confusing back in the day. Would love to try it out again, when I get my Amiga 1200 sorted I'll be picking it up. I just hope it hasn't aged too badly, sadly these types of games do tend to.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:38 pm

All this talk of the 2 Midwinters, the superb Hunter, got me thinking, Anyone remember Twilight 2000 on PC? or wasteland on C64? The Fallout`s of thier day?.