armalyte coming out on pc

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TMR

Re: armalyte coming out on pc

Post by TMR » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:39 pm

ismellicecream wrote:Yeah I could never get my head around coding.
Seriously, s'not that hard and the current crop of BASIC variants for the PC and Mac are pretty phenomenal as far as power goes
ismellicecream wrote:The reason I cant do homebrew now is because I work in the industry, contracts and all that.
It might be worth looking at your contract, usually they're fairly specific about you doing work for a competitor and in the case of homebrew and freeware there's no actual commercial entity involved. Failing that, have a word with your boss perhaps and there's always the option of working under a pseudonym...

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:24 pm

TMR wrote:
ismellicecream wrote:Yeah I could never get my head around coding.
Seriously, s'not that hard and the current crop of BASIC variants for the PC and Mac are pretty phenomenal as far as power goes
ismellicecream wrote:The reason I cant do homebrew now is because I work in the industry, contracts and all that.
It might be worth looking at your contract, usually they're fairly specific about you doing work for a competitor and in the case of homebrew and freeware there's no actual commercial entity involved. Failing that, have a word with your boss perhaps and there's always the option of working under a pseudonym...
I think it was the accessibility of decent info at the time - machine code looked so daunting. I'm actually at the beginning stages of learning C#/XNA at the minute - it seems a lot easier. Plus being surrounded by people who practically speak in code is helping.

As for my contract, It pretty much states that any brain activity I have belongs to the company. But come to think of it, I cant see the problem with being involved in remakes. I might ask my boss to be sure. Cheers.

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:27 pm

ismellicecream wrote:I think it was the accessibility of decent info at the time - machine code looked so daunting.
The data was always there (at least for most platforms, getting a decent hardware reference for the Atari 8-bits was close to impossible until a couple of years after the machines were launched!) but as you say having the people to help was a must; i learnt quite a bit of machine code from a couple of friends and in turn taught others who were learning at the same time. These days that's all taken over to the internet, so there are tutorials (some not entirely helpful), forums, IRC channels and so on where help can be sought. Right now i'm teaching myself the basics of C++ (with Allegro to drive the graphics) and thanks to assorted tutorials i have a few bits and pieces working after just a day.
ismellicecream wrote:I'm actually at the beginning stages of learning C#/XNA at the minute - it seems a lot easier.
It's ironic really, i've had several goes at picking up C++ over the years and found it significantly harder than 6502 machine code! =-)

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:47 pm

Haha, you must just be a natural coder.

I tried coding on the speccy, and using amos on the amiga. crap at both. I preferred using seuck and stuff. Must be why I chose design - the cowards way in. :lol:

I still feel like getting my head around 8 bit and 16 bit coding - just so I can finish what I set out to do. Maybe one day.

smila

Post by smila » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:51 am

glad to see its going down well :)
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 am

A selection of screens from the later levels have now been added to the Psytronik site. Clicky the piccy below to check 'em aaht! 8)

http://www.psytronik.net/ - New games for retro gaming systems!
http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/ - Binary Zone Retro Store!
http://psytronik.blogspot.com/ - Psytronik Software Blog now online!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:11 pm

Kenz, you're such a tease.

Now that the later levels are up and running, are we approaching a ballpark release date?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:28 pm

Thats a great blog. I love Armalyte and actually completed it 2-player with my mate. (Ahem, remember pokes?)
Scott me up beamie!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:58 am

Any updates? All this Trap talk reminded me of Smila, which reminded me of this.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:04 am

I think it is coming out in April. Order online at their site now. TMR has got a preview copy I think.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:10 am

I can't remember if I already pre-ordered :oops:

I know I meant to.

smila

Post by smila » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:12 am

yeah its finished, out in april.
There are few extras too, check out http://psytronik.blogspot.com/ for more info ;)
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:48 am

Postie's just been, leaving me a shiny new sealed copy of Armalyte for PC. Just about to give it a quick whirl before I go to work.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:03 am

Yeah I got an email yesterday saying it took longer than expected but has now been dispatched. So should be with me some time next week. :D

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:48 am

Mine turned up this morning, which was a bit of a surprise because i thought it was Sunday today!