Issue 73 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ivarf

Re: Issue 73 feedback

Post by ivarf » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:13 am

AlleyKat wrote:
kelp7 wrote:I think it's possibly high-time for a little more CPC focus in the magazine possibly...
"CPC Bombjack is better than the speccy version!!
:wink:
Thumbs up! :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:07 pm

ivarf wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:
kelp7 wrote:I think it's possibly high-time for a little more CPC focus in the magazine possibly...
"CPC Bombjack is better than the speccy version!!
:wink:
Thumbs up! :)
Way too early for practical jokes, its not April Fools day yet ! CPC Bombjack better than the Speccy ?! Come on put down the joint !

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:44 pm

merman wrote: It's a shame Ian Mathias didn't get back to me in time for the article.
Are you in a hurry? It's not like this will become old news by the time of the next issue, so how about a half to full page (on demand though) where you refresh old articles with further information?

Just an idea...

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:44 pm

I haven't yet read the entire issue (as it didn't cover too much of my immediate interest) but I was impressed with the information in the Sabreman article and on the La Abadia Del Crimen, both items I would normally never have any interest in.

I suspect the 'Unconverted' article is a one off, and that's fine although there are dozens more than could be covered, it is something to consider.
Some minor amendments on that article:
- Air Gallet was published and released in 1996, not 1993 (thinking of Batsugun perhaps)
- Armed Police Batrider is more akin to the manic shooting style as opposed to danmaku, this is more or less opinion since it straddles border between the two opposites as opposed to it's predecessor, Battle Garegga, a very pure manic shooter.
- Bubble Memories: The Story of Bubble Bobble 3 (sequel to Bubble Symphony/Bubble Bobble 2) did receive a home port, Japan only though. Taito Memories 2: Joukan for PS2 back in March of 2007 is when it came out and it's quite faithful along with most of the other games.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

NorthWay

Re:

Post by NorthWay » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:33 pm

Limbrooke wrote:I suspect the 'Unconverted' article is a one off, and that's fine although there are dozens more than could be covered, it is something to consider.
I wouldn't mind more of it.

Another slant could be to look at games that were converted, but either to the oddest platforms (ZX81 Frogger?) or with mysterical non-appearances on machines you'd expect to see them on - the interesting bit would be why they didn't show up.
Or perhaps to look at conversions that should have been relatively close given similar-ish hw but ended up aeons apart.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:17 pm

The Unconverted is becoming a regular feature (it's in #74 as well). The PS2 conversion is considered too recent, and is effectively a MAME version anyway.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:56 pm

Thanks for the follow-up merman. Explanation makes sense to me, although even if they are near equivalent to MAME roms, it's actually legitimate and playable on PS2. For the record, not to suggest RG farms out, but I wouldn't mind assisting on future 'Unconverted' articles if such was called for. I was surprised at how many in the first article were ones I'd played and quite nearly had the same results from.
merman wrote:The Unconverted is becoming a regular feature (it's in #74 as well). The PS2 conversion is considered too recent, and is effectively a MAME version anyway.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:57 pm

There shouldn't be any poxy iPhone reviews in the magazine, ITS NOT RETRO

Its a sad day indeed when a magazine that calls itself Retro Gamer devotes more space in one issue to the iPhone than it does to a combination of all the Atari machines.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:There shouldn't be any poxy iPhone reviews in the magazine, ITS NOT RETRO

Its a sad day indeed when a magazine that calls itself Retro Gamer devotes more space in one issue to the iPhone than it does to a combination of all the Atari machines.
DO shut up.

Zapper

Post by Zapper » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:49 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:There shouldn't be any poxy iPhone reviews in the magazine, ITS NOT RETRO

But the iPhone has retro styled games so Retro Gamer is doing the right thing in covering them. There's plenty of time for Atari stuff. I say wait your turn.
An Irish Nintendo fan's blog
http://irishnintendofan.blogspot.com

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:33 pm

Just read the Colecovision feature. Good stuff. Horrible choice of games - where is Cosmic Avenger???

I _still_ want a Colecovision to this day. Which is odd since I know how crap the hw really is. A case of software trumpeting hardware. I think it is the only system I have not wanted for its hw potential, but for the sw.