Sonic & Sega All-stars Racing

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Tank

Re: Sonic & Sega All-stars Racing

Post by Tank » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:38 am

Loftgroover wrote:
That information comes direct from someone at Sumo Digital btw, so it's perfectly legit and I trust his words
ive seen SOL saying that...but call me a cynic. Programmer of game saying 'its not that crap honest guv' is not exactly convincing.

Tho if it turns out to be true I will be picking it up...people moaning about the difficulty tho makes me chuckle :lol:
The difficulty one is perhaps because of someone deciding bumping the difficult in the settings (an option on the track select screen) to hard or whatever it's called rather than easy (by default).

Not sure Steve would welcome being labelled a programmer though, although he has borland c++ 6 on his desk for some reason. It may harm his internet fameage ;)
Last edited by Tank on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tank

Post by Tank » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:42 am

PacSuit wrote:
Mayhem wrote:Raced as Sonic, took me three goes to place first in the one track available. Not sure about the power sliding though, it's definitely not as tight as Mario Kart, so it's going to take a little readjustment for each track on the right line to go through...
I thought it was Outrun 2 style drifting?
The triggering is different from Outrun 2, I prefer the Outrun way myself, but I guess it's more friendly for the casual gamer, maybe.. although I suck with it.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:42 am

I've been playing a little bit of this on and off and have to say everytime I come back to it I am shocked at the choppy framerate. It's annoying as I can't see any reason for it. However, the gameplay is really damn good on this game, I think I prefer it to Mario Kart Wii as there's just so much more going on and it's fast and most importantly the weapon system is better balanced to the point where a skilled player will get rewarded in a more fair way.

S0L

Post by S0L » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks to Tank, I can witness yet more framerate moans. Joy :P

I've been into this on about 1 billion forums now, but we had to do the demo a lot earlier than we'd usually have liked, in fact before we'd finished the full game. As such it didn't benefit from the optimisations we did right at the end, and as such the framerate and difficulty weren't final.

So let me assure you, the final game is smoother and not quite so tricky. I'm sure someone will post up some day one feedback to agree with this :P We have looked into updating the demo, but sadly it's out there and done. Not ideal, really...

And yes, I'm not much of a programmer, not unless you count Pascal and Cobol, neither of which are particularly useful for writing modern games...!

---
S0L
---

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:40 am

Download the demo from the playstation store & had a few goes at it.
The game is nice & smooth but the drifting is quite a bit jerky & spoils a good game.
You play either sonic or Dr Roboknik cars & only get one track(Billy Hatcher's)
I got more success with Dr Roboknik than sonic.
The game is not as good as mario kart because of the bad drifting.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:44 am

Yeah, the drfting knackers it for me too. Whereas it was refined in MArio Kart, it just feels like you're drifting on ice. I kept sliding into the scenery all the time and cost me third place :evil:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:23 pm

Looking forward to palying this - love my Sega visuals and characters :D
Nintendo DS games: 41

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Picked it up today and just had 3 or 4 hours playing it on two player mode with my lad whose kicked my butt , really enjoying it , unlocked a few characters and courses .

The bonus mini games are really good , especially the gem collecting mode and knockout .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:46 pm

yeah, really good fun so far! framerate is far better too btw.

off to play some more now :D

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:03 pm

Quality game this, its nothing like the crappy demo, had about 6 hours on it today & lovin it! :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:49 pm

Bought this today too, excellent so far

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:05 pm

Saw this in Morrisons today for £35-ish, didn't even know it was released yet. Was I tempted? god yes but I just can't afford it atm. :( I really want it though!
Space_turnip wrote:Bought this today too, excellent so far
This games been getting some solid reviews too! Is the framerate a lot nicer in the full version compared to the demo?

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:04 pm

Has it come down to £17.99 yet? :)

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:46 pm

C=Style wrote:Saw this in Morrisons today for £35-ish, didn't even know it was released yet. Was I tempted? god yes but I just can't afford it atm. :( I really want it though!
Space_turnip wrote:Bought this today too, excellent so far
This games been getting some solid reviews too! Is the framerate a lot nicer in the full version compared to the demo?
I was surprised by the reviews I have to say - I'd of bought it anyway, but when I last looked it was touching an average review of around 8.0. I did adore Sega Superstars Tennis though so I'm not overly surprised!

Frame Rate is a lot better, I havent noticed any slowdown at all. There's a bit of a problem for me with screen tearing, but I know not many people worry about this too much, and the games so bloody colourful and fast it doesnt matter anyway!

Definately reccomend it. The Acheivements are also a nice little touch, being references to past Sega games (small detail I know but still a nice little surprise)

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:44 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Has it come down to £17.99 yet? :)
Its Sega, so its only a matter of time. No other publisher discounts their games faster than good old Sega.....
Nintendo DS games: 41