Modern games hate?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

FlyHighKid

Modern games hate?

Post by FlyHighKid » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:17 am

Recently I noticed a lot of negativity towards current-gen games like Bioshock 2, Aliens vs Predator and Mass Effect 2, why is that?
They're (IMO) all very good games as far as I'm concerned. Has anybody else noticed this?
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

Fightersmegamix

Re: Modern games hate?

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:54 am

I don't think anyone hates current gen games, I haven't noticed that much negativity. The games you mentioned are all sequels though, that may be a source of some negativity.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:56 am

I dont think there's been negativity towards current games here at all. There was a fair few people who said they were looking forward to AvP, Mass Effect 2 had some of us drooling at the mouth and Bioshock 2 seems to be just as popular. We've also had threads on the Sabetour, Sonic and Sega All star Racing, Uncharted 2 (which seemed to be universally classed as one of the best games ever), Forza 3, Modern Warfare 2, Dirt 2, Fallout 3... all full of positive comments.

But people here also seem to not mind stating their mind (a good thing), so if a game has obvious flaws or hasn't learnt from what came before, people here are far more likely to say so.

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:13 pm

Huh, I don't know, maybe it's just me :? It a lot of people have been bitching a lot more lately.
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:12 pm

I'm not a fan of the current gen at all but don't get me wrong there are a few crackers. I just find it all a bit hollow and on some games, certainly Dirt there is such an overuse of graphical effects and the lighting is seriously nasty that I find them difficult to enjoy.
Gears of War is another, the original had such dull level design with few geniune monents of excitement.
Also a fair few games run at 30 fps which is just poor IMO. Ace Combat for example feels so much better on the PS2 where it is so responsive and fluid. PGR annoys me also with the only decent game in the series for me is the original which again felt wonderfully fast and fluid.
Don't get me wrong its not the be all and end all but racing games certainly need 60fps as do most action titles.

Not played Mass Effect yet but it looks really good but wasn't a fan of Bioshock at all, take away the great location and I thought it was boring to play.
Loved Grid mind, again not overkeen on the overall look but it was huge fun. Fifa 10 is brilliant also taking PES' crown at last. Also really enjoyed MW1 after borrowing it from a mate.

For me my time is taken up by the PS2 mainly. Online gaming only appeals when it is with mates as I don't care to play with randoms though meeting forum members is cool.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:28 pm

Don't hate modern games, it's just that none of them interest me.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:40 pm

nakamura wrote:I'm not a fan of the current gen at all but don't get me wrong there are a few crackers. I just find it all a bit hollow and on some games, certainly Dirt there is such an overuse of graphical effects and the lighting is seriously nasty that I find them difficult to enjoy.
Gears of War is another, the original had such dull level design with few geniune monents of excitement.
Also a fair few games run at 30 fps which is just poor IMO. Ace Combat for example feels so much better on the PS2 where it is so responsive and fluid. PGR annoys me also with the only decent game in the series for me is the original which again felt wonderfully fast and fluid.
Don't get me wrong its not the be all and end all but racing games certainly need 60fps as do most action titles.
I'm also not a fan of the 'bloom' effect that is used by so many games today. As for the 60fps comment, well I can see where you are coming from. I like my racers to also be in 60fps but after a while with games that are 30 you don't really notice. Though it is a really nice perk being able to use motion plus 100hz that some HDTVs offer, I crack mine up to medium for PGR 4 and it makes it flow at around 60fps, and it looks truly gorgeous.

I like the new gen and in some ways it's the best one yet, but I do find myself getting jaded with the sheer amount of war-type FPS games out there and boring adventure games that have such little gameplay to me and rely on their sheer size and storyline to draw you in. I would just like to see more games games, if that makes sense. I love Fable 2 and pretty much all of Rare's output so far this gen. Would love to also see a new Jak game on PS3. Gears of War, yeah it did have some ok gameplay in very short bursts but, my god it is dull.
Last edited by C=Style on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:42 pm

I don't hate modern games, i just get frustrated with them, Modern Warfare 2 especially. Keep finding people cheating (one uses Tactical insertion (oo-er :wink: ) and his mate stabs him, always on Free-For-All) or getting messages like:

'If you want to Prestige easily, then join our lobby and we will prestige you to Level 10'

Has anyone else had this? If I want to Prestige, I'd rather do it through hard work so I get satisfaction that I've done it properly.
I'm getting so hacked off with it, I'm trading it in tomorrow. :evil:

Fucking game.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:45 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:I don't hate modern games, i just get frustrated with them, Modern Warfare 2 especially. Keep finding people cheating (one uses Tactical insertion (oo-er :wink: ) and his mate stabs him, always on Free-For-All) or getting messages like:

'If you want to Prestige easily, then join our lobby and we will prestige you to Level 10'

Has anyone else had this? If I want to Prestige, I'd rather do it through hard work so I get satisfaction that I've done it properly.

Fucking game.
I join there games just to kill them, sodding boosters!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:50 pm

FlyHighKid wrote:Recently I noticed a lot of negativity towards current-gen games like Bioshock 2, Aliens vs Predator and Mass Effect 2, why is that?
They're (IMO) all very good games as far as I'm concerned. Has anybody else noticed this?
I wouldn't touch any of those with a barge pole. No particular reason, just don't want my brain to turn to mush. :P

Mass Effect 2 looks okay though.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:02 pm

SpiffierRabbit wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:I don't hate modern games, i just get frustrated with them, Modern Warfare 2 especially. Keep finding people cheating (one uses Tactical insertion (oo-er :wink: ) and his mate stabs him, always on Free-For-All) or getting messages like:

Fucking game.
I join there games just to kill them, sodding boosters!
I was going to do that, but I couldn't be ar$ed, so I just report them instead. Hugely satisfying. Mind you, I think I've reported about 50% of everybody on Xbox Live by now :lol:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:07 pm

There is just as much crap in this generation as there was in the last....and the gen before that.

I'd rather play good current gen games than good last current gen games if im honest. I just pick out certain retro games that take my fancy, Rage Racer (ps1) and Yakuza 2 (ps2) at the min.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:12 pm

C=Style wrote:
nakamura wrote:
I'm also not a fan of the 'bloom' effect that is used by so many games today. As for the 60fps comment, well I can see where you are coming from. I like my racers to also be in 60fps but after a while with games that are 30 you don't really notice. Though it is a really nice perk being able to use motion plus 100hz that some HDTVs offer, I crack mine up to medium for PGR 4 and it makes it flow at around 60fps, and it looks truly gorgeous.
The bloom effect yeah thats it. I was playing WRC Rally Evolved on PS2 and the lighting in it is simply beautiful. Such subtle reflections of the sun off of the surroundings and the cars is sumblime. Particularly in one level where a blueish morning tint was clear to see and it was lovely even being a PS2 title.
Dirt on the other hand was so garish and cartoony looking.
Forza 3 is another game that suffers on some levels as the colours often look completely wrong.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:22 pm

I'll admit to Bioshock 2 hate. Mostly because I'm told its a rehash of the first game and I found that tedious, unoriginal and a chore to complete, not worthy of even the £20 I spent on it. A sub £10 game imo, if I'd picked it up for a fiver it would have been acceptable. To churn out the same again just isn't acceptable. I really felt conned by the overwhelming positivity given to this series. If it did something new and interesting I could understand, but its a fairly bog standard shooter with fetch missions. Nothing new except the art direction, which gets repetitive far too soon.

Looking forward to AvP though, so its not all negative (yet).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:40 pm

I don't think it's so much "Hate" as "Boredom that it's yet another censored dull as hell by-the-numbers FPS." Or Racing game. Or 3D Platformer. Or barely incremental Sports franchise.

I liken it to eating Pasta. I like Pasta. But I'd hate to have to eat it every day because that's all that was ever on the menu.
Who cares if you serve it in different shapes? IT'S STILL censored PASTA! :evil:

How. About. Something. Different.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.