Issue 73 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Re: Issue 73 feedback

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:27 am

FatTrucker wrote: Not sure if I missed the point with 'The Unconverted' piece though. I'm pretty sure at least half of the games featured were released on the Snes (not specifically sure if they made it to the UK though). The memory is a bit vague, but I definitely played Act Fancer and Prehistoric Isle on a home console in the 90's and I'm sure it was via my Super Wildcard, although it could have been on the ST...perhaps.....I f**king hate having an elderly brain.
Prehistoric Isle was ported to the PC (many SNK games got Japan-only PC releases, including most of the Metal Slug series), but you might also be thinking of Prehistoric Isle 2 on the Neo Geo. As for Act-Fancer, could you maybe be thinking of the SNES's ActRaiser, a superficially similar-looking side-on 2D scrolly platform hack-'em-up?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:39 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:The comments about basically buying a demo are fair enough, though - it's a pretty dishonestly-sold game.
How much content is in the default App Store purchase compared to the XBLA release? I was under the impression the default purchase compared favourably with the original. Even if not, the 'total' of £4.18 is still cheaper, and fair enough for Namco to experiment with pricing. (Personally, I'd have preferred no expansion pack and a £2.99 initial price, going up to a fiver, like Namco's other games, but then I've got loads of play out of the original so far and not felt ripped off.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:09 am

Unconverted or not, I found it a great article and featured a few games i havent tried on MAME much before. An article such as 'underrated gems on MAME/arcade' etc would be superb

(A game for 'why you must play....' is Mighty Bombjack on the NES, quite different, horizontal, vertical and traditional single screen layouts for the game, one of my favourites)

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:42 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
FatTrucker wrote: Not sure if I missed the point with 'The Unconverted' piece though. I'm pretty sure at least half of the games featured were released on the Snes (not specifically sure if they made it to the UK though). The memory is a bit vague, but I definitely played Act Fancer and Prehistoric Isle on a home console in the 90's and I'm sure it was via my Super Wildcard, although it could have been on the ST...perhaps.....I f**king hate having an elderly brain.
Prehistoric Isle was ported to the PC (many SNK games got Japan-only PC releases, including most of the Metal Slug series), but you might also be thinking of Prehistoric Isle 2 on the Neo Geo. As for Act-Fancer, could you maybe be thinking of the SNES's ActRaiser, a superficially similar-looking side-on 2D scrolly platform hack-'em-up?
It was definitely Act Fancer, it was on a 3.5" disk written in pen and had exactly the same main sprite. This would have been mid 90's...ish. I'm bloody sure it was on the Snes, could it have been a hack?....seems unlikely but maybe.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:50 am

Act Fancer never came out on the SNES, I can say that much.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:31 am

Not been here for a while - still reading the mag, just trying to cut down on my internet forum usage :-P

Anyway, just picked up this issue now and made a few people look strangely at me when I shrieked at the news about the iPhone Amiga emulator. However, i can't find any information online about this. Nothing on the Manomio website, a few news stories about Babylonian Twins, but nothing specifically about the emulator?

Any more news? I'm tingling with anticipation...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:39 am

So has anyone found the hidden Miner Willy this month? He was hidden last month as well.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:46 am

MikeFishcake wrote:Anyway, just picked up this issue now and made a few people look strangely at me when I shrieked at the news about the iPhone Amiga emulator. However, i can't find any information online about this. Nothing on the Manomio website, a few news stories about Babylonian Twins, but nothing specifically about the emulator?
I rather think Retro Gamer has an exclusive there. The devs have been dropping hints about other emulators for a while now via email (months back, I hoped for a Speccy emulator, but they revealed they had "other plans"). Thing is, C64 just about runs at full-speed (but without full SID emulation) on a 3GS, so an Amiga emulator would be a seriously tough proposition.

Also, a pity I came across like a totally moody sod in the sidebar. I think the C64 app's improved a lot and is getting to the stage where it's a worthwhile investment (unless you like Laser Squad, in which case it's probably an essential purchase), but I was clearly in a moany mood the day I posted that response on the forum.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Wil

Post by Wil » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:22 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
joefish wrote:I can understand an American having no sense of irony, and I guess it was fair just to report what Ralph Baer said, but it's quite an astonishing revelation...

So, he was looking round a trade fair for people to sue for ripping off his moving-dots-on-a-screen patent, saw a four-button follower game, and decided to rip off the idea for his own game? Outstanding.
I thought that was brilliant as well.
Not only that but the iconic stuff like the name and the shape are merely passed off as being added by an unknown 'unsung genius' later on. He didn't do that either :)

merman

Post by merman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:14 pm

This post is purely my own view, not those of Retro Gamer or Imagine Publishing, and is in no way meant to cause controversy or get anyone's knickers in a twist...

Anyway, I liked the Simon piece for its insights into a popular ELECTRONIC GAME that many of the readers into retro gaming will remember well. As a one-off, I have no problem with its place in the magazine. I would like to see pieces on other LCD/handheld games - for example, Konami's range of LCD handhelds including the very unusual Skate or Die - but only if they offered a similar level of in-depth comment from someone involved in creating them.

Also, I think it would be quite fun (in line with the new Retro Booty feature) to look back at some of the more bizarre and unusual retro merchandise - be that lunchboxes, board games, records that mention gaming and so on.

We now return you to feedback on issue 73...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DRS

Post by DRS » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:19 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
joefish wrote:I can understand an American having no sense of irony, and I guess it was fair just to report what Ralph Baer said, but it's quite an astonishing revelation...

So, he was looking round a trade fair for people to sue for ripping off his moving-dots-on-a-screen patent, saw a four-button follower game, and decided to rip off the idea for his own game? Outstanding.
I thought that was brilliant as well.
And in the interest of balance, for issue 75 my castaway is the creator of the original Touch Me game and also the Touch Me handheld, Steve Bristow. He's keen to put in his twopennyworth, let's say that.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:14 pm

Got mine today. Looking forward to reading 'The Unconverted' though a quick flick through reveals no Red Earth/Warzards or the CPS2 Alien Vs Predator - two major tragedies of the 'no home conversion' curse.

Hopefully there is a follow-up feature with these and many more unconverted titles.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:13 am

Yep another milestone coming up soon, issue 75 ! Very impressive

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:39 am

Megamixer wrote:Got mine today. Looking forward to reading 'The Unconverted' though a quick flick through reveals no Red Earth/Warzards or the CPS2 Alien Vs Predator - two major tragedies of the 'no home conversion' curse.

Hopefully there is a follow-up feature with these and many more unconverted titles.
Alien vs Predator had a close enough home version on the snes .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:48 am

sirclive1 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Got mine today. Looking forward to reading 'The Unconverted' though a quick flick through reveals no Red Earth/Warzards or the CPS2 Alien Vs Predator - two major tragedies of the 'no home conversion' curse.

Alien vs Predator had a close enough home version on the snes .
The SNES version was completely different - and terrible, to boot.