Issue 73 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Re: Issue 73 feedback

Post by necronom » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:24 am

Duddyroar wrote:Rare is one of the UK's most prolific software houses and several of its games have sold well into the millions. Regardless of which platform you owned in the past, I would have though anyone with even the most passing interest in video gaming would be aware of titles such as Donkey Kong Country, GoldenEye 64, Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark, etc...

If you've legitimately never heard of them then fair enough, but they've made the cover of RG several times now.
In my original post I said I didn't know them until I got RG. I've heard of them now, and know they came from Ultimate. I've also heard of all the games you mentioned. What I was saying is that if you asked me a few hours ago to name some of their games I would have struggled to name more than one (I'd have been 80% sure that they did DKC).

My main point is that probably everyone who has played Sabreman will know that it's an Ultimate game. I never had a Spectrum, but I know of Ultimate's games. If you asked a large selection of people who played Sabreman I'd be surprised if many people would say Rare.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:30 am

mikeb wrote:Lol well at least you've all stopped arguing about Simon. Which was a cracking read btw, as was the Dan Dare article.
I totally agree, I thoroughly enjoyed the article and would welcome more coverage of some of the early electronic games which at the time were pretty much part and parcel of the fledgling videogame industry.

Lots of videogames companies played with different ideas and forms of electronic and processor driven entertainment through the 70's and early 80's. It would be nice to have a small regular feature on 'other' retro toys and crazes, I'm pretty sure it would fit in quite nicely with the rest of the mag.

Not sure if I missed the point with 'The Unconverted' piece though. I'm pretty sure at least half of the games featured were released on the Snes (not specifically sure if they made it to the UK though). The memory is a bit vague, but I definitely played Act Fancer and Prehistoric Isle on a home console in the 90's and I'm sure it was via my Super Wildcard, although it could have been on the ST...perhaps.....I f**king hate having an elderly brain.

Violence Fight was also the third and final game in the Crime Fighters/Vendetta series of games.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:50 am

Unsure about those conversions. Must admit i just love having MAME games featured as it makes me want to try them out. Hopefully there'll be more 'obscure' ones featured on 'why you must play...'. So many MAME games, need to know what gems i'm missing (outside of the 'famous' ones)

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:53 am

psj3809 wrote:Unsure about those conversions. Must admit i just love having MAME games featured as it makes me want to try them out. Hopefully there'll be more 'obscure' ones featured on 'why you must play...'. So many MAME games, need to know what gems i'm missing (outside of the 'famous' ones)
Damn straight.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:15 pm

another great issue, read through this one ultra fast, still need to finish reading the last issue though! :lol:
Iain Lee's page made me laugh out loud, which was nice.
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.

Stoy

Post by Stoy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm

The Ultimate Hero. I just wanted to say what a fantastic article this was in this month’s issue. The point regarding Knight Lore being complete before Sabre Wulf however is still very much up for debate. I’m still pretty sceptical on the matter, and tend to agree with this write up:

http://retrospec.sgn.net/users/nwalker/ ... facts.html

Why would the Stampers change their core-routines and take a step backwards when all their other games suggest a natural evolution regarding code?

Stoy.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm

psj3809 wrote:Unsure about those conversions. Must admit i just love having MAME games featured as it makes me want to try them out. Hopefully there'll be more 'obscure' ones featured on 'why you must play...'. So many MAME games, need to know what gems i'm missing (outside of the 'famous' ones)
I don't like referring to them as 'mame games'. Mame is just one of many arcade emulators. They are Arcade not mame.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:33 pm

SirClive wrote:
I don't like referring to them as 'mame games'. Mame is just one of many arcade emulators. They are Arcade not mame.
Sorry boss. Anything else you dont want me to say Mein Commandant ? ;)

(Its like when people call Speccy emulator files 'roms' - seems to upset the old brigade)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:33 pm

psj3809 wrote:
SirClive wrote:
Sorry boss. Anything else you dont want me to say Mein Commandant ? ;)
No, you can say what you like.

So long as it is correct ;)
(Its like when people call Speccy emulator files 'roms' - seems to upset the old brigade)
No it isn't really. It is like Americans calling videogames in general 'Nintendo'.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:03 pm

I have to admit I always think of Sabreman as an Ultimate guy.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:11 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Great issue again, BUT.....(puts Toxie Trainspotter Award specs on again)

The Dan Dare screenshot at the bottom of page 65 looks suspiciously like the Speccy version, not the C64 version to me :wink:
That IS the C64 loading screen for Dan Dare II. It's done in hi-res bitmap mode, not multicolour. And I know, because I only sent Darran the C64 loading screen...

Anyway, glad people like the Dan Dare article.

Personally I really enjoyed the Coleco Vision retroinspection, one of the best articles yet in that series. Ryan also did a good job on the Unconverted, and I'm looking forward to it being a regular piece. Liked the Return Fire and Durell pieces too.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:19 am

merman wrote:Personally I really enjoyed the Coleco Vision retroinspection, one of the best articles yet in that series.
God bless ya. Always nice to hear positive feedback from a fellow scribe. :)

blasteron

Post by blasteron » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:57 am

Just to reignite the earlier conversation as i forgot to add my feedback.
I enjoyed the simon feature and would love to see more topics covered like that after all it is reto GAMER not retro computer games and more toys covered would be great brings back memorys and get to learn things about them i never knew.
Ive supported magazine since issue 1 and still to this day find it a enjoyable read.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:24 am

blasteron wrote:Just to reignite the earlier conversation as i forgot to add my feedback.
I enjoyed the simon feature and would love to see more topics covered like that after all it is reto GAMER not retro computer games and more toys covered would be great brings back memorys and get to learn things about them i never knew.
Ive supported magazine since issue 1 and still to this day find it a enjoyable read.
Yeah the odd article on a classic old toy might be good. But again all this 'after all its Retro Gamer...' , we all know it was originally meant to be about retro 'computer/video' games. How many times in the first 70 issues did it feature an electronic toy ? Hardly so the name 'Retro Gamer' means games you play on your PC. By your thinking 'retro gamer' could also mean dominos or playing 'i spy' ?

Hope it doesnt feature too many toys

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:56 am

and spot the sausage, used to play that one loads back in the day :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords