First Computer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

morf

Post by morf » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:53 am

Atari 130XE, very few games at the time but suberb... how i loved The goonies.

PanzerGeneral

Re: First Computer

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:19 pm

First machine I ever got was a TI/99/4A for Christmas 1982 - loved it to bits, got the game Alpiner with it (big complaint though - the machine didn't come with a bloody tape lead?).
Still works 28 years later!!!!

rainbird rich

Post by rainbird rich » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:08 pm

The first computer I ever used was a friend's Tandy TRS80 back in 1981. That's the machine that got me hooked on text adventures.

The first computer our family ever owned was a BBC Model B Micro that my Dad convinced my Mum he should buy in 1983.

The first computer I ever bought was my rubber keyed 48k Spectrum, bought in mid-1984. That was followed up by a 128k machine in February '86 and a second-hand C64 in the Summer of '86.

Those were the days!
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:14 am

Vic 20 - for Xmas... early 80s?? I remember wandering to the post box with an order for Interceptors Frogger... I knew the computer was coming... The hours spent typing listings in from C&VG... I still have my 1st C&VG somewhere...The type in "Nibblers" was a classic.... (although probably not in the 1st one I got..)

Blue Meanies from Outter Space anyone?!?

My parents got it from an indepenent computer shop in Great Yarmouth... in the... err... Westgate Centre (I think!)... Wish I still had it..

Of course, the modulator kept having to be re-soldered.... a common Vic problem.

Best game? Anilog Scramble or Matrix probably....

Great thread
Last edited by slacey1070 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:18 am

ZX Spectrum 48k. Shame the a OP's only made 1 post, that's a great username!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:41 am

First computer in the house was a Comart Communicator (obscure 70s CP/M machine) that my dad used for work. The first machine I had for myself was a ZX81.

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:48 am

My first computer was a ZX81 with a whopping 1k ram.

Actually, it didn;t belong to me but my sisters boyfriend which he gave me a loan of for a few days, then tried to sell it to me, seeing as i was at school i did not have any money, so i had to refuse.

Eventually he gave it to me, don't know if my sister had to give him anything in return :shock: after that i got hold of a 16k Spectrum on loan and then my parents bought me a 48k Spectrum which i loved to bits.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

dr_bob

Post by dr_bob » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:47 am

Bit of thread necromancy here eh? ;)
First computer I had was a Sord M5 which I was donated by my auntie when my cousins had given up on it , it wasn't a great computer but had a brilliant manual (taught myself BASIC with it ;)) , my first proper gaming computer though was an Atari 800xl (great machine , ended up trading it for a c64 a few years later as you just couldnt get the games for the old Atari at that stage).

Commander Jameson

Re:

Post by Commander Jameson » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:11 am

Randall Flagg wrote:ZX81 with 16k rampack. After the power supply cable falling out repeatedly my dad hardwired it to the machine. After about 6 months 2 keys on the membrane keyboard stopped working so once again, dad to the rescue, he ordered a proper keyboard for it then built a wooden box round it with keyboard fitted and supports so that the rampack didn't wobble around.

Wish I had a piccy of my wooden computer.

Eventually the power brick went duff and my dad tried to power it up from a different power supply brick he had, there was a loud pop and the machine never worked again :cry:

Still, then got my Beeb B so couldn't complain....
My first computer was a ZX81 too, around 81-82. My Dad bought it off a bloke in a pub, with a bunck of those black and red style cassettes, and some Psion stuff. Learnt how to play Chess on 1K chess, spent loads of time on the maths software, and Catacombs by J.K.Greye.
Had it for about a year before badgering my parents for the essential upgrade to a rubber-keyed Speccy. My justification was that I had learnt the use of all the keywords, and I now needed a computer that had
a) More keywords to learn
b) lower case letters
c) Colour AND sound.

My ZX81 also had a balsa wood frame and a Memotech rampack. Eventually it also had lots of little holes in the keyboard from stray darts - I too used to play darts whilst stuff loaded, but my pooter was beneath my dartboard....

Dennoman

Post by Dennoman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:48 am

A Commodore 64 and a Pentium 486 were the first ones I can recall :)

Always on the look-out for fighting games!
Have any stray ones laying about? Let me know and we'll try to give them a cosy new home.

Wil

Post by Wil » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:33 am

After the usual pong games and the Atari VCS my first computer was the ZX81. I was in the process of saving up for it (£50 from WHSmith, if remember right) when my sister brought it home for me one evening :D. Crappy little add-on keyboard and a Memotech RAM pack later and off I went. That must have been '82.

Later on I bought myself a Speccy and a 64 from a mate for a tenner.

Always fancied an Atari 800 (probably because of those Silica Shop ads) but it'd be the Amiga 500 before I'd be spending that sort of dosh.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:17 am

A ZX81 in 1983ish.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:22 pm

My first was a atari 800xl. I loved it, even though it was totally unreliable. Or was that the cassette player(s)?

Eat your nans pants

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:08 pm

I had a second hand zx81, complete with god-awful Sinclair ram pack, all in a sleek 80s 'Data 2000' computer briefcase. :)
Mrs Liveinabin got me another zx81 for Christmas. Wonderful machine and surprisingly still great for programming. I prefer it to the Spectrum (not as many crazy function keys).

retrogamefest

Post by retrogamefest » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:43 pm

First computer in our house was the ZX81 although I seem to remember an Intellivision from Radio Rentals before that. We got a C64 after that and that was the computer I first really used. I used to keep my feet warm in winter on the power adapter whilst playing all the £1.99 games.

I've just dug both of these out of my parents loft for my retro night (see sig). Despite being up in the loft for years they're both still working (mostly!).