RG Issue #20 INVISIBLE CONTENT!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

avdl1999
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:47 am

RG Issue #20 INVISIBLE CONTENT!

Post by avdl1999 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:23 am

Hello

I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to see RG (#19) back on the shelves.


The inclusion of the retro collections reviews was very welcome as well as the Spectrum piece. The buyers guide doesn't list every games machine as stated on the front of the mag because the Acetronic,Oric and Tandy machines are missing.

I was excited to read on "next issue" pages that issue #20 would contain a GP2X review and the origins of Pac-Man. Imagine my dismay that both of these interesting articles were M.I.A!

I cannot afford to buy every issue, and with an obvious lack of guaranteed content i will ensure to double check the contents pages rather than rely on previous issues statements!

There is no apology for the missings articles or indeed any mention when they might appear.

Yours dissapointedly

Shaun Neatly

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6760
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:29 am

Sadly, some things remain out of our control. Apologies that the two articles you were looking forward to weren't included.

Sadly, due to the short deadlines for the early issues some things fall through, it's an inevitable downside to the magazine industry and one that annoys us as much as it annoys you.

Still, when you mentioned invisible content, I thought you were referring to the making of Impossible Mission that was written in lemon juice.
Image

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Re: RG Issue #20 INVISIBLE CONTENT!

Post by Morkin » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:43 am

avdl1999 wrote:
...i will ensure to double check the contents pages rather than rely on previous issues statements!

This is what I do with many magazines - have a quick flick through before purchasing. This is slightly more difficult if the magazines are sealed in plastic bags, although some kind person has usually already opened one with the same idea.


Darran - Maybe you'll be needing one of those "Content subject to change" disclaimers that every magazine has on their 'Coming next issue' pages.

avdl1999
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:47 am

Post by avdl1999 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:55 am

Hi Darran

Thank you for your prompt and courteous reply.

Can you tell me if you know when the 'missing' articles in question will become available?
It's just that i'm very tempted to buy an GP2X console on just the specs alone. But a detailed and impartial review may sway me further. Especially if a port of MAME is available for it! yum! :D

Also, who doesn't want to read about Pac-Man??

Thanks again.

Shaun Neatly

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6760
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:59 am

avdl1999 wrote:Hi Darran

Thank you for your prompt and courteous reply.

Can you tell me if you know when the 'missing' articles in question will become available?
It's just that i'm very tempted to buy an GP2X console on just the specs alone. But a detailed and impartial review may sway me further. Especially if a port of MAME is available for it! yum! :D

Also, who doesn't want to read about Pac-Man??

Thanks again.

Shaun Neatly
I've been told I'm getting im getting a machine next week, fingers crossed eh ;)


As for the disclaimer, I think that's covered in the flannel panel section (where all the names of the staff are)
Image

User avatar
AdamDawes
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:47 am
Location: Berkshire, UK
Contact:

Post by AdamDawes » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:48 pm

And where ... is the Pac-Man?

(Sorry, dodgy movie quote there)

Quaid
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:57 pm

'Respect

Post by Quaid » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:53 pm

'Respect for the Batman quote, Adam.

It's been a while since I've seen one of those
"There was a time that was all the money in the world to me, now it's a day's pay...

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8701
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Re: RG Issue #20 INVISIBLE CONTENT!

Post by Dudley » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:08 pm

avdl1999 wrote: I cannot afford to buy every issue, and with an obvious lack of guaranteed content i will ensure to double check the contents pages rather than rely on previous issues statements!
Can you afford to buy 4 out of every 6? Because if you subscribe that's all it'll cost you ;)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Re:

Post by Morkin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:49 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:

As for the disclaimer, I think that's covered in the flannel panel section (where all the names of the staff are)
Apart from the usual stuff it just says "Although the magazine has endeavoured to ensure all information is correct at time of going to print, prices & availability may change".


I quite like what's printed in Imagine's 360 Magazine on the 'coming next issue' page...

"Note: We'll do our very best to ensure that all of the above fits neatly in 360, you can be sure that some of it will fall by the wayside. This isn't necessarily our fault, but we promise to work very hard."

:D

User avatar
Randall Flagg
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:21 am
Location: The Underwurlde
Contact:

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:02 am

Morkin wrote:
Apart from the usual stuff it just says "Although the magazine has endeavoured to ensure all information is correct at time of going to print, prices & availability may change".


I quite like what's printed in Imagine's 360 Magazine on the 'coming next issue' page...

"Note: We'll do our very best to ensure that all of the above fits neatly in 360, you can be sure that some of it will fall by the wayside. This isn't necessarily our fault, but we promise to work very hard."

:D
Nice touch. Sounds like one of the staff has written it rather than an overpaid lawyer in a sterile office somewhere.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

User avatar
Dizrythmia
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:31 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Contact:

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:26 am

Damn, I was really looking forward to the GP2X article as well. Is it going to be in a future issue? Still waiting for a reply on that one....

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6760
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:37 am

Dizrythmia wrote:Damn, I was really looking forward to the GP2X article as well. Is it going to be in a future issue? Still waiting for a reply on that one....
As soon as I get my hands on one we'll be featuring it.
Image

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Re:

Post by Morkin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:58 am

Randall Flagg wrote:
Morkin wrote:
Apart from the usual stuff it just says "Although the magazine has endeavoured to ensure all information is correct at time of going to print, prices & availability may change".


I quite like what's printed in Imagine's 360 Magazine on the 'coming next issue' page...

"Note: We'll do our very best to ensure that all of the above fits neatly in 360, you can be sure that some of it will fall by the wayside. This isn't necessarily our fault, but we promise to work very hard."

:D
Nice touch. Sounds like one of the staff has written it rather than an overpaid lawyer in a sterile office somewhere.

Agreed. :)

Hint HINT Darran ! :lol: :P :P

User avatar
White Demon
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:37 am
Location: South Australia

Re:

Post by White Demon » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:25 am

avdl1999 wrote:It's just that i'm very tempted to buy an GP2X console on just the specs alone. But a detailed and impartial review may sway me further. Especially if a port of MAME is available for it! yum! :D
Mame is available for the GP2X.

http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

And if you wanna check out the GP2X (and ask a few questions about it, why not visit the friendly forum at GP32X:

http://www.gp32x.com/

User avatar
driver695
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:00 pm
Location: Berkshire

GP2X

Post by driver695 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:40 am

good review on Retro Gaming Radio - check it out - Shane goes in depth re. pluses & possible minuses of the unit - recommended :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests