Antiriad2097

Re: Things changed over the last 20 years

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Doddsy wrote:Some good things;
*Minimum Wage introduced

Some bad things;
*Cameras everywhere invading our privacy
I'd reverse those two.

Working in the Jobcentre at the time minimum wage was introduced, I saw more wages plummet than I saw rise. Companies now had a fixed baseline they knew they could get away with instead of having to work out how low they could go. Its stopped a few rip off merchants, but the penalty on the majority of jobs just wasn't worth it (imho).

Cameras ensure my safety. If I want something private, I'll do it indoors.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:24 pm

Balls dropped.
Got laid.
Discovered the joys of alcohol.
The ability to complain in shops and have someone do something about it.
Going Solo...................

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:16 am

Life pressures is getting more & more intense over the years + paying bills are becoming more annoying.
A lot of people going panicky like headless chickens but me I try to chilled out most of the time.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:19 am

More bloody adverts on tv.Aggggggggggggggh!i coundnt be arsed watching the top 50/100 lists with the amount of ads in between
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:46 pm

One of the things that I think has come on so well is portable audio.
Just to think, when I was a kid, if I wanted to listen to music on the move, I had a Sony Walkman with a couple of C-90s and a big pack of Duracell on me :lol:
Nowadays, it's just a MP3 player with 20GB worth of music (which is 10 times more than a couple of C-90s) and no pack of Duracells required due to battery economy of these handy devices being much better than their tape based ancestors.

Hey, even modern mobile phones seem to be 'merged' with MP3 players nowadays .... I can take my tunes with me and my phone at the same time without having to fill my pockets with twice as much gadgetry than is really necessary.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:48 am

Back in the day i don't think i ever came across anyone, parent or anyone else thaty had a Credit Card of any kind.
Anything we needed we got on credit from Rumbelows or we basically hired it from them.

Money was money and when it was gone it was gone. If you didn't have the money you didn't buy it..

Now...

Most people have a credit card and hardly deal in actual money.

Peoples finances are far worse now and some people don't even know what debt they are actually in. :(

RIK

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:51 am

woody.cool wrote: Hey, even modern mobile phones seem to be 'merged' with MP3 players nowadays .... I can take my tunes with me and my phone at the same time without having to fill my pockets with twice as much gadgetry than is really necessary.
Gave rise to another trend too.End of the traditional wrist watch.Most people will check their mobile/ipod for the time instead of having an wrist watch...
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:20 pm

They do? Not noticed that one.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:43 pm

The acceptance "of sorts" to tattoos and body piercings...

Why its acceptable now for a bloke to have a pair of hair straighteners :roll:

the change from buying supermarket stamps "for christmas big shop" to loyalty cards.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:24 am

The rise of the gays.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:09 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:The rise of the gays.
Err ? That sounds a bit controversial ! Dont mind the gay community one bit. I dont like to see two gay men kissing just as i wouldnt like to see two straight people snogging their faces off in public.

- I'm glad over the years you dont have to wear a tie for many jobs (Or even a suit), i still have to wear a suit when i see a customer but dont have to wear a tie, when i go into the office i can just wear jeans/t shirt and doesnt matter about tattoos or piercings (i dont have piercings) which is good. Doesnt change the way someone does their job, seeing a customer i can understand though.

- Agree above about hair straighteners, shocking when a bloke uses those.

- Cant get my head around 'man bags'. Come on lads, 99% of the things in that bag you dont really need

- Also mobile phones, i do like mine if i'm on a long train journey, i either watch films or play games, dont actually call on it. But when i leave work at 5.30pm i wont be answering work calls. Had to go to London on monday, journey home listening to some woman talk business on her mobile for the whole journey, most of it was utter waffle or could have waited till the next day. Some people just are addicted to their phones and have to use them non stop.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:35 am

Rise of Z list celebs.People been famous for been famous.Or one hit wonder bands that come popular by screaming teenage girls then disappear overnight.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:21 am

Coffee! Twenty years ago it was still possible to go into a cafe, ask for a cup/mug of coffee and get just that. Nowadays you ask for a cup of coffee and they look like you have escaped from 1973 and then ask what sort you want. I want a cup of coffee, not a bl**dy double mochaccino or a triple latteamerispresso with a half pike and a twist. Nor do I want to have to mount an archaeological expedition to actually locate the tepid caffeinated bit under a mountain of froth, whipped cream and a scattering of marshmallows.

Same with tea. Should be hot and strong enough to put hairs on your chest. You should not be asked but do you want green tea, black tea, Earl Grey, lemon zinger with a dash of ginger, strawberry and kumquat, or mango and badgers ar*e.

There are some things where progress is not a good thing!
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:34 am

Always seemed back in the day you just ate what you wanted and didnt worry.

Now people say 'oh i cant eat that as the farm used fertiliser on it and it might make me ill.....' or 'cant eat that as some columbian coffee grower is getting ripped off by the big companies....' etc. Not into organic/fairtrade etc as you can tell ! Got some friends who scan for ages whats been used in the food, eg the additives or if its free trade or the amount of e numbers. Was at a barbeque once, their poor kid wanted an icecream, oh no cant give them that, way too unhealthy, gave the little kid an organic crispbread !!

I know for a fact they take cocaine at weekends ! So cant eat non-organic stuff as they might get ill, cant eat some things because it has some additive which is super bad for them, but okay to take coke every weekend. hmmm !

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:02 am

I forget to put in political correctness & health & safety has gone overboard over a number of years.
Here one example on msn link: http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/article ... =149597119