Is my CRT knackered?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Coopdevil

Is my CRT knackered?

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:40 pm

It started doing this over the weekend;

Anything that contrasts against surrounding colours now shadows to the right-hand side. I've tried it without the RF lead plugged in, the living room lights off, the cable modem switched off, the PC off - nothing makes any difference. Furthermore it does it on the internal setup menus as well so I doubt it's interference in the SCART sockets.

In RL the effect is far more pronounced than this and while the TV picture through RF is sort-of watchable, obviously it really shows up on games with black text or white or vice versa.

Fred83

Re: Is my CRT knackered?

Post by Fred83 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Could be your comp either.Or the rf cable.Tv channel not tuned in finely?
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:46 pm

That pic's through the SCART socket through a composite two plugs into SCART plug type arrangement but the same thing happens with the aerial, internal menu, XBox (where I first noticed it), 360 and that SMS TV Boy. It won't be fine tuning as the feed from the SCART socket is just on the "AV" channel.

TBH, rather than spend £250 on a replacement that I will never use for anything other than games I've decided to say sod it and not replace the TV. I never watch TV, rarely watch DVDs and pretty much 75% of the games I play could be done via emulation on the laptop. The digital switchover in my area is in 2011, I don't pay for Sky, freeview is a bit of an unknown quantity for my postcode (broadcast blackspot that didn't get Channel 4 until 1989) so I had decided to drop the TV license when the switchover game and keep the TV for games. Now I think I'll use the PC instead and join the ranks of the television-less.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:50 pm

Coopdevil wrote:(broadcast blackspot that didn't get Channel 4 until 1989)
I've heard you still have outside toilets too :wink: :lol:

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:11 pm

SexyWayne wrote:
Coopdevil wrote:(broadcast blackspot that didn't get Channel 4 until 1989)
I've heard you still have outside toilets too :wink: :lol:
It's easier for cleaning up the horse mess when you don't have to carry the shovel indoors and up the stairs. Far more hygienic.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:15 pm

Have you used the Degauss option from the monitor menu yet.?

RIK

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:23 pm

RetroRik wrote:Have you used the Degauss option from the monitor menu yet.?

RIK
:shock: Oops - just reading back my post I realised it isn't clear - it's a TV not a PC monitor, sorry. I did look for a degauss option but not on this TV (do they even have them? I've only seen them on PC/Mac monitors)

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:26 pm

Coopdevil wrote:
RetroRik wrote:Have you used the Degauss option from the monitor menu yet.?

RIK
:shock: Oops - just reading back my post I realised it isn't clear - it's a TV not a PC monitor, sorry. I did look for a degauss option but not on this TV (do they even have them? I've only seen them on PC/Mac monitors)
Nah don't think TVs have them. Try playing with the sharpness, contrast settings.?

RIK

Dam

Post by Dam » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:12 pm

Coopdevil wrote:That pic's through the SCART socket through a composite two plugs into SCART plug type arrangement but the same thing happens with the aerial, internal menu, XBox (where I first noticed it), 360 and that SMS TV Boy. It won't be fine tuning as the feed from the SCART socket is just on the "AV" channel.

TBH, rather than spend £250 on a replacement that I will never use for anything other than games I've decided to say sod it and not replace the TV. I never watch TV, rarely watch DVDs and pretty much 75% of the games I play could be done via emulation on the laptop. The digital switchover in my area is in 2011, I don't pay for Sky, freeview is a bit of an unknown quantity for my postcode (broadcast blackspot that didn't get Channel 4 until 1989) so I had decided to drop the TV license when the switchover game and keep the TV for games. Now I think I'll use the PC instead and join the ranks of the television-less.
Be prepared for weekly visits/letters/calls from the bellends at TV licensing - they don't seem to believe anyone could not have a TV!

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:26 pm

Dam wrote:Be prepared for weekly visits/letters/calls from the bellends at TV licensing - they don't seem to believe anyone could not have a TV!
Tell me about it, when I first moved into my flat 3 years ago I had no sky, cable or even a aerial to watch anysort of TV, I was watching a DVD at the time when the bloke called round, I explained to him that I had no way of watching a TV broadcast, and even got him to come in and inspect my TV and he could clearly see what I had told him was true, yet I still got fined £260 which I still refuse to pay to this day, I'm actually in court the 25th of this month over it :roll: I have a TV licence now and have done for the last 2 1/2 years but I'll be f**ked if I'm paying that fine :evil:

Dam

Post by Dam » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:38 pm

SexyWayne wrote:
Dam wrote:Be prepared for weekly visits/letters/calls from the bellends at TV licensing - they don't seem to believe anyone could not have a TV!
Tell me about it, when I first moved into my flat 3 years ago I had no sky, cable or even a aerial to watch anysort of TV, I was watching a DVD at the time when the bloke called round, I explained to him that I had no way of watching a TV broadcast, and even got him to come in and inspect my TV and he could clearly see what I had told him was true, yet I still got fined £260 which I still refuse to pay to this day, I'm actually in court the 25th of this month over it :roll: I have a TV licence now and have done for the last 2 1/2 years but I'll be f**ked if I'm paying that fine :evil:
That sucks big time - how can he fine you for NOT watching TV? Hope everything works out mate.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:47 pm

Were you watching the DVD on a telly or your PC?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:05 pm

On the TV
Dam wrote:That sucks big time - how can he fine you for NOT watching TV? Hope everything works out mate.
It'll be fine, I'll just tell em that once again it completely slipped my mind to make the £12 per month installments, and that it's their fault for not having a direct debit/standing order thingy in place for me to use and that I'd rather they would stop it directly out of my wages to which they'll refuse :lol: .... well it's worked for over two years anyway :lol: