Issue 67 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

the_hawk

Issue 67 Feedback

Post by the_hawk » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:37 am

Just arrived - first impressions, looking like a great issue.

Here's Hawk Jnr modeling the cover.....

You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Timothy Lumsden

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:20 am

word of warning - if you have a beer belly like me - DO NOT be tempted to buy that cool Star Wars Boba Fett t-shirt in the retro booty section - it's only for people who've done a sit up in last 10 years... :lol:

One tiny comment caught my eye - in the Psst review, there's mention of a Spectrum Rom cartridge - never knew they existed - would love to know what other ones were released.

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:00 am

Play.com is home to some damn-fine T-shirts. I'm just glad I consider myself too old and uncool to any longer be able to get away with wearing any of them, otherwise I might be parting with a small fortune. On the plus side, I'm not fat. Elsewhere, the new Coin-op Capers feature is sure to become one of the best-loved parts of the magazine.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:35 am

Just had mine posted through the door, still havnt finished reading 66 yet!

I also love the new Coin-op Capers feature and would greatly appreciate one on Lucky and Wild 8)

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:36 am

Another great issue!, particular highlights for me being...

* Loved the Back to the 80's / 90's feature as usual
* The Bomberman feature was great reading, as was the Hudson Soft part 2 writeup
* John gave a great insight into the Japanese machines
* Really enjoyable SEUCK feature by Craig, and really chuffed to have one of my games mentioned in the top 6 creations :)
* Great to see Colin Porch get some recognition for his great coding work on OP Wolf... really underrated developer who has never really been in the limelight.
* Really enjoyed Desert Island Disks return with a great chat with Bob. Shame about the Thriller game!
* Homebrew section - Jason doing a top job as per usual :-)
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:29 am

Yeah, it's en route already? What the heck did I do with the last month?
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:52 am

Guess this means I'll be picking up my copy later today... will comment in due course :)
Timothy Lumsden wrote:One tiny comment caught my eye - in the Psst review, there's mention of a Spectrum Rom cartridge - never knew they existed - would love to know what other ones were released.
There were only ten and you needed a special interface to plug them into. Even though I'm a C64 person, I suppose it's home computer cartridges that also interest me. A couple of people I know have the full set: Backgammon, Chess, Cookie, Horace and the Spiders, Hungry Horace, Jetpac, Planetoids, Pssst, Space Raiders and Trans-Am. You could somewhat call Shadow of the Unicorn the "11th cartridge" but that was a ROM and tape combo package, and the plug-in was mostly just a 16k RAM upgrade.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:10 am

Loved the Bomberman and FM towns sections. Pride of place however was the OP.Wolf coverage. outstanding feature and another great Issue.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:53 am

Sassing, frassing postman on strike today :evil:
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:37 pm

Actually I think they were here yesterday, so I don't know if my copy will be waiting for me or not...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Only had a quick flick through but looks a good issue, the Operation Wolf feature looks excellent.

Quite amazed that LAP made it in again, especially as the response to Jack The Nipper was so abysmal, had another look at the thread and each section only has a handful of responses so how this warrants four full pages in the mag is a mystery......

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:08 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Quite amazed that LAP made it in again, especially as the response to Jack The Nipper was so abysmal, had another look at the thread and each section only has a handful of responses so how this warrants four full pages in the mag is a mystery......
Simple. Loads of readers like it. And most importantly I like it. The Moonwalker one is getting a better response than Jack the Nipper that once again proves that 16-bit games are better than 8-bit ones.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:20 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Simple. Loads of readers like it. And most importantly I like it. The Moonwalker one is getting a better response than Jack the Nipper that once again proves that 16-bit games are better than 8-bit ones.
Getting a better response than Jack The Nipper is nothing to shout about, it would be hard for a game to get less of a response than JTN got !! And as for the Moonwalker response, there isn't one section in double figures so I would again question about how popular the feature is.

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:05 pm

It's true, the level of reaction to the Moonwalker threads so far isn't what I expected, and in terms of the feature's current title we certainly aren't 'all playing' it. I've not said as much about the game as I could because, frankly, I got two or three entries in the Castle of illusion one, and I'm sure no one wants the same people in there every month. However, the idea of an article in the magazine that goes into depth about all aspects of classic titles is still appealing. I listen to the Rebel FM Game Club podcast, which is a similar idea, but it's mainly about the podcast regulars discussing the game over three or four whole episodes. Listeners can then play along with the game and offer their anecdotes/views, but it usually amounts to a handful of short letters/emails read out.

If the current format isn't good enough for some, perhaps for future issues Darran and Stuart can round up as many of the RG contributors as possible to discuss the game in question and then allow readers to add their own anecdotes if they like.

Regardless, I don't know if we should be criticising them for being able to stretch the Jack the Nipper discussions out to a four-page article. I thought that was quite an impressive achievement, all considered! If you actually take the time to look at the LAP article and not jump to the conclusion that it's only a transcript of the forum threads, you can appreciate it more. It does the game a good service.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:18 pm

Just read the FM Towns/Fujitsu retro-inspection - good stuff indeed - didnt know anything about these machines. The problem with retroinspections is each month it leaves me with a hankering to buy the system - my bank manager and wife (not the same person by way) not happy about that. Came very close to getting a QL last month!