What Is Retro?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Jakeway

What Is Retro?

Post by Jakeway » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:46 am

[quote]
Dictionary Definition Retro – ret-ro
adj.
1. Retroactive: retro pay.
2. Involving, relating to, or reminiscent of things past; retrospective:
“As is often the case in retro fashion, historical accuracy is somewhat beside the pointâ€
UK Arcade Database isn’t going to work without support.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:40 am

It's a good post mate, and one that will no doubt cause some interesting debate.

If you go strictly by the dictionary definition, then by rights, many machines should never be covered in the mag...

On the other hand though, when people actually refer to the term retro, they normally associate it with many different things. As for myself, I'll be taking the same approach with Retro Gamer that I did with the retro section of gamesTM.

I'm happy to include all consoles, up to and including the Dreamcast. The Playstation will also be covered, now before the backlash begins, allow me to explain why.

Many people that I've spoken to liken retro gaming to stuff they played in their youth. So at the moment, there are many late teens and early 20 somethings that consider the Playstation and N64 to be old.

Of course, we're certainyl not going to fill the mag with the more recent machines. As I've stated in the past, it's all about trying to maintain a balance that will try and please as many people as possible (you'll certainyl never please everyone...)

Ben

Post by Ben » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:49 am

Yeah, you've got it about right i think. I still consider the DC current gen, its just (pretty much) dead
Where i think the problem comes, is that towards the end of the Dreamcasts life, it was filled with retro style games. It seems to be the last console to really be blessed like that. Sure the ps2 is catching up now, but as ive said elsewhere the DC almost carried on the legacy of the saturn

Theres no doubt true retro is the likes of space invaders, maybe even stopping before the snes and megadrive. but for me its more about the games on the system. While virtua tennis isnt retro stuff like KOF has the retro feel to it, and thats what muddys the waters in my opinion

mr.zzapback

Post by mr.zzapback » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:02 am

Personally I'm not that fond of the word 'Retro'.
I'd very much prefer 'Classic', just like you have classic films, rock classics, in terms of media being 'classic' by having proven itself during a certain period in the past, but still popular up to this day.

From that point of view it could contain all games, computers and consoles except (of course) the current running generation, and the last generation(s) still available through standard retail channels. (Not 2nd hand, auctions etc.)
So yeah, I consider for example the Dreamcast 'retro', or in my opinion, a 'classic' console, for the reasons mentioned above.

Does this make sense?

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:01 am

To me, Retro is the time of the 8-bits - mainly the C64 and Spectrum days or older. I don't really think of the Amiga as very retro, since 5 years ago I was still using my A1200 every day. I would like the Amiga to feature in the mag though. Anything after the Amiga 1200 I don't see as retro (PS1 etc).

merman

Post by merman » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:50 am

I agree that the definition should include older machines... I think we can be quite liberal in our definition of retro and including anything from 2000 and earlier. That's five years ago now, well behind the current generation (and the next). So that includes early PS1 really, and a lot of games that current players may never have heard of...

sparky

Post by sparky » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:17 pm

Retro, difficult one, who could actually say for sure what the meaning is.

It's not like holding out an Orange and saying to someone, 'this is an Orange'.

I associate 'Retro' to anything that belongs to the past long enough ago for me to remember, for me the mid 70s to mid 80s. So the Spectrum 48k and C64

I would only ever tend to use the word Classic when I associate a particular item within a group of products of the same age or make, such as the Jaguar E type.

I'm thinking the meaning of life is easier to explain. :shock:

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:19 pm

For me, it's anything before the Playstation.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:20 pm

LOL, this is always one of my favourite topics and it was inevitable that it would pop up.

The thing is, everyone's comments make perfect sense when you listen to the reasining behind it. Now imagine to cater for all that in one magazine ;)

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:25 pm

I think the one problem with the old RG was the sudden change from focusing on successful home computers in the uk to doing lots of console and import gaming features - Kind of one extreme to the other (though for the record, I enjoyed both styles of articles).

I think if RG throws together all the different aspects of 'retro' in each issue, then it will be a winner.

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:33 pm

LeeT wrote:I think the one problem with the old RG was the sudden change from focusing on successful home computers in the uk to doing lots of console and import gaming features...
I did notice the change and felt a little short changed on occasion. A broader balance of all aspects is the way to go methinks.

sparky

Post by sparky » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:37 pm

Reminisce

Evolved

Timeless

Relive

Old

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:38 pm

Nice acrostic Sparky! 8)

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:07 pm

andy vaisey wrote:Nice acrostic Sparky! 8)
Acrostic?

You can tell he is a teacher! :lol:

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:12 pm

LeeT wrote:
andy vaisey wrote:Nice acrostic Sparky! 8)
Acrostic? You can tell he is a teacher! :lol:
Give it a try here... :wink:

I use this with the kids on an interactive whiteboard. 8)