Gamestation ain't so bad

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:08 pm

I quite like the Sonic Tshirts they are doing (to go with the Mario ones they have had in for ages). Just need to wait for PS3 so that PS1 will be officially retro (3rd generaion must make it so), maybe they will do some Spyro or Ratchet ones then :D
Image

User avatar
redleader28
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:37 am
Location: South Wales

Post by redleader28 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:15 pm

As an employee of Gamestation I do agree that even I find myself asking what the f*£k when I see some of the prices that head office make. Me I wouldn't pay £4.99 for an unboxed NES game unless it was something rare and I mean really rare like Metal gear (wishful thinkin).

As for the price of consoles well I think the top brass has cottoned on to the retro scene and are trying to milk it. But the thing is ppl are paying for the over priced games amd consoles.

So really if you keep paying the prices then the suits will keep knockin the prices up.
Image
Nobody shoots anyone in the face unless you're a hitman or a gamer

User avatar
M.A.G
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:32 pm

Post by M.A.G » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:26 pm

The bargins are still to be had tho. On Friday i got

R-type III
Parodius
Pop n Twinbee
Axelay
Timeslip
Legend

All on the Snes, all boxed and complete and in very good condition £15 the lot.
"the forum is populated by idiots, and poorly moderated"

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re:

Post by Spector » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:25 pm

Interesting reading Paranoid Marvin's comments on The Great Escape earlier in this thread. The Spectrum/C64 game proves that games old and new are like all other entertainment, in that nothing beats a good idea.

Remember the original game from 1986? Remember what happens when you lose? It would have been so easy to just give your character three lives and that would be it. But this game was too inventive for that particular cliche. There is a flagpole on the left hand side of the screen that represents the escapee's morale. When he gets caught, he's shoved into solitary and his morale goes down, as does the flag. Get caught too many times and the flag reaches the bottom of the pole. At this point, you can no longer control your character. He just copies everyone else in the prison camp, going to roll call, eating breakfast etc. Your character may be still alive and well, but mentally he's dead as he's lost all hope. It's hard not to see the deeper meaning in that. It's reminds me of what happens to Winston Smith at the end of "1984". For an 8-bit computer game to have that sort of (dare I say it) artistic depth, I'm bloody impressed.

I think that the message of this game hits harder because of the simpler graphics. Your character looks like all the other prisoners, and when you lose control of him, it becomes impossible to tell him apart from anyone else. The lack of detail emphasises his anonymity. This is an example of how limitations can make it easier to say certain things, not harder. And that's why I think the possibilites on older hardware may well be greater than on todays one-million bit, tap-dancing "emotion-engines". So there.

User avatar
ToxieDogg
Posts: 8356
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Vice City, a.k.a. 'Liverpool'

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:44 pm

Going back to my earlier post....

I ordered We Love Katamari on PS2, on 8th Jul. 5 minutes later, I get a confirmation email from Gamestation saying, and I quote,

Your credit/debit card will be charged once we have packed your order up and we are ready to send it out

They took the money out my account 2 days later.

10 days later, I still hadn't received anything, so I went online and checked my order status. All it says (and still says) is 'Order Acknowledged'. I made an order last year (which I received OK), and next to the older one, it says 'Dispatched', so I'm assuming they haven't even sent my recent order out to me yet.

I've emailed them at the address they provided for queries (sales@gamestation.co.uk) 4 times now, and also sent 2 queries through the 'Order Queries' section on the website, but haven't had a reply.

I've also tried phoning them every day since, using the telephone number on the website, but only get a recorded message every time...'Thanks for calling Gamestation....busy....please call back later....our office hours are....blah blah blah'. On Saturday, I tried phoning them 15 times at various times throughout the day.

Today, I tried faxing them using the number on their website. It rang a few times, then went dead. Fax came up as 'Not received'.

I have now sent them a recorded delivery letter to the address shown on their website threatning them with legal action and/or Trading Standards. Hopefully this will do the trick.

I've always defended Gamestation in the past too. I wish I hadn't bothered now. :evil: :x

User avatar
ToxieDogg
Posts: 8356
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Vice City, a.k.a. 'Liverpool'

Re:

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:53 pm

preownedgames.co.uk wrote:Anybody who doesn't think PGR3 is the best racing game ever made hasn't played it.
And just as an afterthought to this one, I prefer F-Zero GX myself. Pure racing, pure speed, pure fun 8)

User avatar
M.A.G
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:32 pm

Re:

Post by M.A.G » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:59 pm

preownedgames.co.uk wrote:Anybody who doesn't think PGR3 is the best racing game ever made hasn't played it.
I have and its censored.
"the forum is populated by idiots, and poorly moderated"

User avatar
backdrifter
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:58 pm
Contact:

Post by backdrifter » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:30 pm

I spotted a nice NES box behind the cash desk of my local Gamestation when buying both RG and RF, and asked how much it'd be.

The response, "oh, it's broken."

Damn :(

Apart from that there's absolutely bugger all of note in this particular branch.

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8705
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:50 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
preownedgames.co.uk wrote:Anybody who doesn't think PGR3 is the best racing game ever made hasn't played it.
And just as an afterthought to this one, I prefer F-Zero GX myself. Pure racing, pure speed, pure fun 8)
GX is a better racing game certainly although not a better driving one.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
revgiblet
Posts: 2247
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:46 am
Location: Canowindra, NSW

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:50 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:I have now sent them a recorded delivery letter to the address shown on their website threatning them with legal action and/or Trading Standards. Hopefully this will do the trick.
You be hardcore...
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

User avatar
Opa-Opa
Posts: 4304
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: Kent UK
Contact:

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:57 am

backdrifter wrote:I spotted a nice NES box behind the cash desk of my local Gamestation when buying both RG and RF, and asked how much it'd be.

The response, "oh, it's broken."

Damn :(

Apart from that there's absolutely bugger all of note in this particular branch.
What they ment by that was "We are keeping that because I only paid £3.00 for it from someone I mugged off not 10mins ago."

The reason there is nothing nice in these stores is because the spotty, fat useless toad behind the counter keeps all the best stuff for himself after robbing it from the public...

User avatar
backdrifter
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:58 pm
Contact:

Re:

Post by backdrifter » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:49 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
backdrifter wrote:I spotted a nice NES box behind the cash desk of my local Gamestation when buying both RG and RF, and asked how much it'd be.

The response, "oh, it's broken."

Damn :(

Apart from that there's absolutely bugger all of note in this particular branch.
What they ment by that was "We are keeping that because I only paid £3.00 for it from someone I mugged off not 10mins ago."

The reason there is nothing nice in these stores is because the spotty, fat useless toad behind the counter keeps all the best stuff for himself after robbing it from the public...
I'm sure I spotted a Panzer Dragoon Saga behind the counter this morning too.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26859
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:09 am

I'm happy with GameStation today. Finally tracked down True Pinball for the PS1, £2.99 but in their regular BOGOF offer so I picked up another game free :D
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
revgiblet
Posts: 2247
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:46 am
Location: Canowindra, NSW

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:34 am

backdrifter wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:
backdrifter wrote:I spotted a nice NES box behind the cash desk of my local Gamestation when buying both RG and RF, and asked how much it'd be.

The response, "oh, it's broken."

Damn :(

Apart from that there's absolutely bugger all of note in this particular branch.
What they ment by that was "We are keeping that because I only paid £3.00 for it from someone I mugged off not 10mins ago."

The reason there is nothing nice in these stores is because the spotty, fat useless toad behind the counter keeps all the best stuff for himself after robbing it from the public...
I'm sure I spotted a Panzer Dragoon Saga behind the counter this morning too.
I can't pretend that I wouldn't do the same thing, but it takes some of the excitement out of going into Gamestation when you know that you're never going to find anything **!!!RARE!!** or unusual because the staff get first pick.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

User avatar
M.A.G
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:32 pm

Post by M.A.G » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:04 pm

You guys must have really bad Gamestations by you. Over the last 2 months my local branch on the saturn has had.

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Dragon Force
Shining Holy Ark
Shining Wisdom
Dark Saviour
Guardian Heroes
"the forum is populated by idiots, and poorly moderated"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests