From the forum question for issue 28

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:34 am

Hey, I've thought of something.

Managing to dock manually for the first time on Elite. It was necessary to play the game, but required some real skill to achieve. I don't think a current game developer would dare make something so challenging an integral part of a game these days. Wusses.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:10 pm

When I figured out how to use Jojo the Monkey in Monkey Island 2. English isn't my native language, so monkeywrench isn't part of my vocabulary, so I had to figure out the word first. Since I was young, that wasn't the easiest thing to do... until I found a dictionary that is.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:44 pm

StarEye wrote:When I figured out how to use Jojo the Monkey in Monkey Island 2. English isn't my native language, so monkeywrench isn't part of my vocabulary, so I had to figure out the word first. Since I was young, that wasn't the easiest thing to do... until I found a dictionary that is.
Well done. Even in the UK we'd have been struggling with that one as its an American term.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Stellaking

RE:

Post by Stellaking » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:41 am

Top game moments... Mmmm ? Caned Omega weapon in ff8 & Ozma in 9 was pretty tough without leveling up enuff

Can't wait till issue 28 falls in the door...

Quoted from my April post...

[quote="Stellaking"I would like to see an interview with the German based www.ngdevteam.com and a feature on their forthcoming & sublime looking "Last Hope" for the Dreamcast, Neo-Geo AES & CD[/quote]

Thankyou... :D

ehem... Zenobi any time soon ?

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:14 am

Finishing King Kong on the Xbox 360.

What?

Oh ok, getting my way through every seperate route through Dark Savior on the Saturn in a matter of days.

Gah, what a game.....

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:30 pm

I was never a big wiz on Marble Madness, but as not many locals seemed to ever play it when I was around I was pretty pleased with myself when getting to level 5 (or did I even get to 6?).
There was something about MM and the trackball controller that made you feel like you _really_ were in control and that whatever score you made was entirely fair and a consequence of your skill.

I wonder if anyone has made an FPS that goes well with a trackball - whizzing around that ball or just using your fingertip on it is so much more in control than a big mouse your whole hand has to move and that needs lifting when you run out of mousepad...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:07 pm

Any FPS works fine with a trackball.

I 'borrowed' one from work and found it nice to use. Caught up fluff something rotten though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dell_Zincht

Post by Dell_Zincht » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:12 pm

Completing Broken Sword without looking at a single walkthrough.

At the time, all my friends were miles ahead of me on it because they'd cheated, but I refused any help as I loved the game so much. I can of course, now simply breeze through it, but it took me months to complete it for the first time, and when I finally did, it was a big achievement to me at least!

Demonblaze

Post by Demonblaze » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:12 pm

That's a toughy but it'd probably be the when I 1st killed ruby weapon in final fantasy 7. Can't remember the exact combination but I had my materia set up so every time I attacked all my hp and mp went back to full and between knights of the round and limit breaks I totally kicked his ass. Hell I didn't find most of my old nes games that tough and I was playing them when i was a nipper lol. The feeling of euphoria when I struck that final blow was amazing is my 2nd greatest psx gameing moment...

And then there was getting crabs from the lady of the night in the remake of leisure suit larry 1 (amiga). When I saw his crotch explode I vowed to ALWAYS use protection :shock:

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:05 pm

Demonblaze wrote:And then there was getting crabs from the lady of the night in the remake of leisure suit larry 1 (amiga). When I saw his crotch explode I vowed to ALWAYS use protection :shock:
That was your proudest gaming moment? :shock:
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:22 pm

I'm another person who was very proud to become Elite. I played the Amiga version and it took just over 80 hours of game time.

More recently, clearing Wardner (MAME) on one credit. It's the first arcade machine game I've ever cleared without putting more coins in when I died.

Bleugh

Post by Bleugh » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:00 pm

my proudest moment........owning a console the day of release in the UK for the first time ever........a few months back when they released the DS lite :-)

Mort

Post by Mort » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:59 pm

Landing the Hornet on the Carrier on F18 Interceptor for the Amiga, but the catch is doing it upside down it ! looks great with the wheels sticking up like and upturned turtle on the outside view :P
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

StarEye

Re:

Post by StarEye » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:24 pm

Dell_Zincht wrote:Completing Broken Sword without looking at a single walkthrough.

At the time, all my friends were miles ahead of me on it because they'd cheated, but I refused any help as I loved the game so much. I can of course, now simply breeze through it, but it took me months to complete it for the first time, and when I finally did, it was a big achievement to me at least!
I completed Discworld 2 without using a walkthrough or hintbook. I hate using walkthroughs, you feel like you've accomlished something if you don't.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:07 pm

StarEye wrote:
Dell_Zincht wrote:Completing Broken Sword without looking at a single walkthrough.

I completed Discworld 2 without using a walkthrough or hintbook. I hate using walkthroughs, you feel like you've accomlished something if you don't.
But the game has to LET you complete it fairly

Some games (possibly) inc DW2,but definately DW1 had puzzles that were so obscure as to make them virtually impossible to complete
without a guide.And oh!- how convenient! they then published a hint book which you could buy for £10-£15 to solve said conundrums

Adventure games should have generally logical solutions - I hated games where you ended up going around 'using' every item on everything else

2 classic examples of how to do a proper adventure game are Day Of The Tentacle and Monkey Island 1
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"