Desparate help on the Amiga

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mantas

Desparate help on the Amiga

Post by Mantas » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:40 am

Hi all
I've got an A1200 with a 4GB flash disk on it with workbench version 40.42 (kickstart ver 39.106). Everything works fine and I can play games on it etc.
However, I have some original game disks that are faulty (Def of the Crown, Last Ninja 3, Golden Path) and I'd like to try to either copy the ADFs to them or transfer the ADF's to new disks and then move the original lables to them as well. I'd also like to copy ADF files to the miggy so I can install them to the hard drive. I have tried using WHDLOAD but I am completely clueless as to what it going on.

The floppy drive on the Amiga is working perfectly as I have played many games on it

The big problem I have is that I have no idea how the miggy works. I have installed a few games to HDD and so on but even what I'd think are simple tasks like copying files from floppy to Workbench turn into a nightmare. I select the file, select the COPY command - it copies to WB ok. But next time I switch it on the files are all gone. Trying to install and run something like WHDLOAD just doesn't work. Heck I can't even figure out how to unzip .lha files.

I have also tried using Amiga Explorer, went out and bought a null modem cable, installed it in on a Win 98 PC and it tells me that it can't find the COM port.
I just keep hitting a brick wall no matter what I try. It is just soooo frustrating cause at the end of the day all I want to do is play games on this "so called" wonderful machine. Maybe I'm too used to Windows and expect it to work the same way.

Can someone out there please show a newbie how to use this machine.

SexyWayne

Re: Desparate help on the Amiga

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:48 am

woody.cool is probably the best person to ask, but i'll give it a go

for the null modem cable you need to ensure that the amiga serial port is setup properley, when you start to install amiga explorer on the pc side it should tell you the correct settings, ie: transfer speed, packet size etc...

for your adf problem you could simply plug your flash card into a pc card reader and using winuae, as it works with real amiga hdds and amiga formatted flash cards etc copy the stuff to the card from with a winuae enviroment, then you will need a adf writing program installed on the amiga, such as adf blitzer which will allow you to create adf files from floppies and also write adf contents back to a real disk

simply copying a floppies content to the hd rarely works as a hd install, to see the files you need to enable it from one of the workbench menus not sure which one but it'll have a show all option on it

edit: which com port can't amiga explorer find??? the amiga's??? or your pc's?? if it's the pc you might need to go into the bios and make sure it's enabled

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am

hi,what you do is

-download whdload onto your pc.
-useing winrar or winzip you right click on whdload and select extract files to folder name,it will unpack whdload,also go inside the folder and extract the archive inside whdload to folder name aswell.
-drag the whdload onto your cf card on your p.c
-put the cf card in the amiga and drag the whdload onto folder on your hardrive on amiga.
-go to whdload folder select "install whdload",select beginners option,this will choose and pick the places automatically for where it install whdload

-download whdload games onto your p.c,useing winzip/winrar,right click and extract to folder name option,
-drag the extracted folder to your cf card on p.c
-put the cf card in the amiga,then drag the extracted game to an folder on amiga.
-then when you go into a game folder,if you double click on its name ,a reminder will come up telling you to register whdload,the game should run then.

as for "dissappearing games",when you copy a game over that doesnt have any icons,workbench doesnt show them,have you tried going up to the taskbar on top,and right click,selecting "window" and in show option selection select show " all files"

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:07 am

Fred83 wrote:hi,what you do is

-download whdload onto your pc.
-useing winrar or winzip you right click on whdload and select extract files to folder name,it will unpack whdload,also go inside the folder and extract the archive inside whdload to folder name aswell.
-drag the whdload onto your cf card on your p.c
-put the cf card in the amiga and drag the whdload onto folder on your hardrive on amiga.
-go to whdload folder select "install whdload",select beginners option,this will choose and pick the places automatically for where it install whdload

-download whdload games onto your p.c,useing winzip/winrar,right click and extract to folder name option,
-drag the extracted folder to your cf card on p.c
-put the cf card in the amiga,then drag the extracted game to an folder on amiga.
-then when you go into a game folder,if you double click on its name *i.e a little white box*,a reminder will come up telling you to register whdload,the game should run then.

as for "dissappearing games",when you copy a game over that doesnt have any icons,workbench doesnt show them,have you tried going up to the taskbar on top,and right click,selecting "window" and in show option selection select show " all files"
am i missing something? i read the 1st post as the CF card was being used as the miggy's HD, so it's not a matter of simply plugging into the pc as windows can't read ffs or sfs or whatever filesystem is on there, and you can't just extract amiga lha/zip files in a windows enviroment as some of the naming conventions can get bollocksed by windows :wink:

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:16 am

Right, SexyWayne above has covered a lot of the stuff, but here's my two pennies worth!

For WHDLoad to work properly, you need an accelerator and/or RAM expansion.
WHDLoad will only work with ORIGINAL game disks, not copies or ADF images (99% of ADF images are cracked copies anyway)

To install a game with WHDLoad, download the installer from the WHDLoad website, run the Installer in Workbench, insert the original disk when prompted, follow the on-screen prompts clicking Proceed when necessary.

As for the file copying issues, file copying is done by dragging the source icon (for the file) over the top of the destination icon (for the disk or folder you want to put it in/on)

As far as transferring ADFs goes, you have a couple of options here:

Method 1 - Connect your internal Hard Drive or CF card to the PC
If you're running WinUAE under Windows 2000 or later, you can mount the Amiga's hard drive or CF card for use in WinUAE.
To do this, insert your CF card in to the card reader and then open WinUAE ... go to the hard drive page and click 'Add Hard Drive'
Select your CF card.

If it doesn't appear, close WinUAE .... open up a DOS prompt, CD to the directory with WinUAE in it, and run WinUAE with the -disableharddisksafertycheck option

Method 2 - CF card
Get yourself a PCMCIA CF card reader for the Amiga.
The supplied software allows the Amiga to read the PC's FAT and FAT32 filesystems (as long as the software is installed correctly)
Copy the ADFs to the CF card (on the PC), put it in the Amiga and copy them to the Amiga's HD ... now make sure you have some form of ADF transfer software, and use that to transfer the ADF image to the disk.
Personally, I use TransDisk to transfer ADF to floppy, as it's small and command line based (so requires typing in AmigaShell or CLI)
If you're using TransDisk, it's just a case of putting the blank floppy in the drive and opening up an AmigaShell and typing:

TRANSDISK -w <filename.adf>

and that's it!

Method 3 - via Floppy Disk
Install CrossDOS .... this comes as part of Workbench, and you can just open up the Workbench disk, then Storage, then DOSDrivers and finally double-click on PC0
This will enable to Amiga to read PC formatted floppy disks.
Now you could transfer the ADFs to the Amiga via floppy disks, but you may need to find some software to split them up .... and ADF (and also an Amiga formatted floppy disk) is 880KB whereas a PC formatted floppy disk is 720KB (remember we're talking about the DD floppy disks, not the HD floppy disks, which the Amiga 1200 doesn't read)
Once transferred to the Amiga, yet again, the same applies as if you'd transferred via CF card.

Method 4 - Amiga Explorer
Connect a fully wired null-modem cable between the PC's serial port and the Amiga's serial port
Make sure the Serial port is set up correctly in Windows' control panel and correctly in the Amiga's Preferences (Serial program in the Prefs folder)
Now, send the file via Amiga Explorer to the Amiga .... that should be it!
If it fails, check COM port settings (on both the Amiga and the PC) and check you have the right cable.
As for Windows 98 .... I've never tried Amiga Explorer on a Win98 machine. I know it works fine on WinXP though.

Method 5 - copying it yourself over a serial cable ..... NOT OVERLY RELIABLE OR FOR THE INEXPERIENCED
This will require some know-how of how to use MS-DOS on the PC and AmigaDOS on the Amiga!
Connect a null-modem cable between the Amiga and the PC.

Boot up your PC and open up a DOS prompt.
Boot your Amiga into Workbench and open up a Shell or CLI prompt.

On the PC, you will need to set up the COM port, which can be done by typing the following: MODE COM1:9600,N,8,1 for example, substitute COM1 for whatever the COM port number on the PC is and you can lower the speed from 9600 to whatever you like, as for the rest, I'd leave 'em as in the example, as that's the standard settings.

On the Amiga, type Serial .... when the editor appears, choose the same baud rate/speed as the PC (in my example it's 9600), choose No parity, 8 Data Bits and 1 Stop Bit
Now click Save

Right, on the Amiga, now type COPY SER: <filename>
and on the PC type COPY <filename> COM1:

Once the file has copied, the PC will show 1 file(s) copied and go back to the C:\> prompt.
The Amiga will also go back to the 1.Workbench> prompt (substitute Workbench for whatever directory you were in)

Once you're at this stage, you can use whatever software you want to write the ADF back to disk :)

This 5th method doesn't like some PC's serial ports. It works on my old 486 PC with pure MS-DOS and it works on my older Windows XP machine (a Pentium 3) but my current PC doesn't like it :(

Hopefully that's gonna give you some inspiration to get transferring.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:21 am

make note-read more carefully :oops:

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:21 am

Firstly, thanks to everyone, especially Woody.Cool, who have taken the time to help me out.

I am pleased to let you know that the easiest and best way to transfer files to the Amiga was done by using WINUAE.
I just want to add 2 little things that helped......

A) You must tick the box that says READ/WRITE and leave the option as UAE
B) To actually copy the files over, all you do is drag from windows explorer or the windows desktop directly to the Amiga workbench desktop in UAE. Yeah it sounds obvious but it did take me a while to figure it out while trying various other ways to get it there.

The issue I've got now is that when I copy ADF files to the Miggy, it seems to "extract" them and not stay as ADF's. The reason I say this is because when I try to copy them to a floppy disk using either ADF2Disk or transADF, all I can see is the individual files and not the plain ADF. However, when copy a file to Workbench with an LHA extension, nothing gets extracted.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again for your help

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:59 am

extracting lha, the easiest way is to set up a windowsesqe enviroment in winuae is by using classic workbench http://classicwb.abime.net/ this way all you need to do is double click a lha or zip file it'll open just like using winzip

i'm not sure i understand your adf problem, basically all i do is copy the adf itself over to my amiga and then use adf blitzer to rewrite it to floppy