From the forum question for issue 64

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nokgod

Re: From the forum question for issue 64

Post by nokgod » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:24 pm

Doom on PS1. Only for the fact it was the first FPS i ever played, and the only FPS i've ever completed on all difficulty settings.
Bearing in mind, i don't like FP shooters very much at all is testimony to how much of an impact Doom had on me.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:36 pm

My favourite FPS ever, possibly the hardest question ever asked of me.

I'd have to say that for me there are 3 and there's no way I can seperate them.

Call of Duty United Offensive was my re-introduction to PC multiplayer, and even though it was hardly the most refined of online experiences, the bigger maps that the expansion brought (Italy for one) were superb. The story wasn't as great as the original maybe, but it was still a very involving single player experience.

Star Trek Elite Force - because I was a trekkie and it did everything right; a great Trek game and a great FPS.

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II: Im played it so much I didn't go to A Level maths for 6 months. Failed maths, completed the game. Brilliant story, great open levels and lightsabers!

I could also mention UT, UT2004, HL2, Dark Forces, COD4, COD2, Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Duke Nukem 3D... All of which influenced my gaming life.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Space_turnip wrote:Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II: Im played it so much I didn't go to A Level maths for 6 months. Failed maths, completed the game.
small price to pay!

the expansion pack was rock hard. took me ages to work out the ending,

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Doom - tis dead good yer ere!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:17 pm

Up until last month I'd've said either Duke Nukem 3D or Blood, but then I played Left 4 Dead...
So much personality in each of the core characters, it really can't be beaten for its co-op mode!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:11 pm

System Shock 2, the fear, the terror, the zombies!!

Gnome

Post by Gnome » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:55 pm

Hmmm.... not a fan of the genre really, but I guess I'd go with Clive Barker's Undying.
Usually blogging over at Gnome's Lair, steadily into Retro Treasures and some cabaret.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:08 pm

Here's a clue - "That's one Doomed space marine"
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:32 pm

When I played Wolfenstein 3D for the first time on my 486 33MHz, it reminded me of Virtual Reality. Not long before, I had tried the VR flight sim at the Trocadero centre in London. Wow... I really felt we were close to have VR at home.
Unfortunately I was wrong.
Fortunately Doom came some time later to ease the disappointment.
Even better, I got Duke 3D for my birthday. It soon became my favourite, especially when I got a null-modem cable and a friend willing to bring his whole PC to my house.

I've loved so much other great games such as Quake 3 or Half Life, but Duke 3D still holds a special place in my heart.
"Nobody steals our chicks... and lives!"

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:07 am

Da Duke ofcourse! "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of gum!' Holy cow, what a guy!
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:59 am

ar we gonna have another round of duke nukem quotes?

Here's mine: "I'm Duke Nukem. AND I'M COMING TO GET THE REST OF YOU ALIEN BASTARDS!"

Titan

Post by Titan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:27 pm

I'm not usually a fan of FPS's, but it has to be Bioshock for me. The fact I was a wuss and chose to save the Little Sisters might explain why FPS's aren't usually my kind of game :P

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:27 pm

WildWillyWilson wrote:Half Life 2. For sheer immersion it cant be beaten, the way the story is integrated into the game is superb. It really has got a unique atmosphere. Quite eerie with the G man popping up in the corner of the screen and sloping off every now and then.
I never once noticed that even though I completed HL2 - perhaps that doesn't happen on the Xbox port?

Stuart_c

Post by Stuart_c » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:31 pm

Duke Nukem 3D, the first game i ever played over a network. wasted countless hours on that game when i was supposed to be studying at college, till the tech guy found out and deleted it from all our profiles along with all my lovingly crafted levels :evil:

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:29 am

If we're talking online - Battlefield 2142. I haven't been able to put this down for 2.5 years, whenever I have a free moment and the wife is out, I fire it up. The teamplay aspect is just fantastic, and the game is far more rewarding to play as part of a well-funtioning squad than just going it alone. The maps are fantastic, pity only 3-4 different ones ever show up on Assault mode.

For solo campaigns - Half-Life 2. I've just finished this one, all 3 chapters, and I never wanted it to end. Brilliant narrative, the way the story pans out is fascinating, City 17 is so beleivable too. There's a couple of sections where your gravity gun is your only weapon, but it becomes 'supercharged' - meaning you can kill enemy soldiers by picking up another enemy soldier and flinging him at them. This has entered my top 3 'funnest things I've ever done in a videogame'.

For Retro - Doom, but I expereinced it most on the PSX. Or should that be plural. I'll never forget the first time we managed to get 2 tellys, 2 Playstations and a link cable all in the same place at the same time. It was the first time EVER we had connected up 2 systems like this, and just being able to see your mate on your screen just blew us away. Then we started fighting. Oh, my god.....a prime example of graphics do not maketh the game, Sure, they were good in 1996 - but not so good that gameplay took a back seat. Amazing game.