Final Fantasy 8 - Is it worth playing

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mantas

Final Fantasy 8 - Is it worth playing

Post by Mantas » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:13 am

I played FF7 a while ago and did enjoy it but felt that it got a bit boring and after 50 hours I was ready to give up. I did finish it with a little help though. Also the constant random battles really got to me. A trip that should take a couple of minutes ended up becoming a long drawn out mission. Is FF8 the same?

devilman

Post by devilman » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:52 am

Pretty much. I played through FFVII twice in a short period of time and then moved onto FFVIII but by the fourth disc I'd had enough and I never went back to it. I persisted as long as I could but it stopped being fun. I played IX much less too. FFX was a good return to form though, despite being rather linear.

Elgin_McQueen

Re: Final Fantasy 8 - Is it worth playing

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:11 am

Mantas wrote:I played FF7 a while ago and did enjoy it but felt that it got a bit boring and after 50 hours I was ready to give up. I did finish it with a little help though. Also the constant random battles really got to me. A trip that should take a couple of minutes ended up becoming a long drawn out mission. Is FF8 the same?

To Me those radnom battles were the worst thing about FF7, and the main reason I won't go back to it. Having said that, I would never run from the battle as I always forgot there wsas an option, I know with these typr of games though u kinda need to keep fighting to level up enough.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:16 am

Mantas wrote:I played FF7 a while ago and did enjoy it but felt that it got a bit boring and after 50 hours I was ready to give up. I did finish it with a little help though. Also the constant random battles really got to me. A trip that should take a couple of minutes ended up becoming a long drawn out mission. Is FF8 the same?
I'm not going to sugar-coat it... FF VIII is F*cking boring. Easily the worst in the entire series. I am currently playing FFVI and I seriously can't put it down. If you are looking for a good FF to occupy your time, stick with anything from I-VI (but be warned, I,II and III can be a bit repetitive).
真・豪鬼

preownedgames.co.uk

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:13 am

Try skies of Arcadia instead, still lots of random battles but a much more interesting story.
Preowned Games - Buy games that other people are bored with.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:20 am

Isn't Skies of Arcadia the worst possible game to recommend to someone who doesn't like random battles? A simple journey becomes an epic thanks to the random encounters.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Lentini2001

Post by Lentini2001 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:04 am

8 got on my nerves with all the drawing of magic that although I managed to do it, I never fully understood it.

That and the baddies levelling up when you did which is fair enough, but I remember a few times getting beaten by some plant in a random battle and that really annoyed me :oops:

Mantas

Re:

Post by Mantas » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:30 am

preownedgames.co.uk wrote:Try skies of Arcadia instead, still lots of random battles but a much more interesting story.
I played Arcadia on the GC where the number of random battles was supposedly toned down. It was very annoying at times but along with Tales of Symphonia on the GC I rate it as one of the best RPG's I've ever played. A wonderful setting, brilliant story and great ship to ship battles. I loved it.

BTW, you can avoid the random battles once you get the ability to fly above and below the clouds .

James A

Post by James A » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:07 pm

I'd recommend FF8 but yeah random battles do suck. Skies Of Arcadia though is nearly worth avoiding on the Dreamcast due to the random battles.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:46 pm

Lest we forget, FFVIII had f**king junctioning too, which makes the random battles even worse.

'I have to suck 2-3 spells out of the enemy, loads of times, up to 100 to improve my armour a bit?'
'Yeah'
'Okaaaay... Pub?'
'Mmm-hmm.'

Thus, I played FFVIII for 20 minutes the day I got it, and FFVII remains my 2nd fave game ever. 8 Sucked balls. 9 is brilliant though, go for it.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

tssk

Post by tssk » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:51 am

Final Fantasy 8 is awful. Really really awful. My second least favourite game of all time. (The most hated being the disaster that was SaGa Frontier 2.)

Play any of the other Final Fantasy games instead.

Or even better the new Dragon Quest.

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:55 am

These two lines kinda messes up the whole thing a bit. 50 hours? You were bored for 50 hours, or you just started to get bored after 45? Either way, I'd say you got your money's worth with that playtime.

And to be honest, I've yet to play a Final Fantasy game that takes even close to 50 hours to complete the first time. I'm guessing you did a lot of sidequests and explored everything, because after 50 hours you were at least 15 hours overtime to complete the story. If you want to finish the games, try and go through the storyline first (not rushing through, gotta make sure you're strong enough to proceed), then the next time you play through it, you can take your time.

Final Fantasy VII should take somewhere close to 30 hours to complete the first time through. The good thing about Final Fantasy games to me is that it becomes even more enjoyable once you don't have that stinging curiousity as to what happens next, so you can just soak in the atmosphere and not worry about your progress.

And yes, I'd recommend you play Final Fantasy VIII. It's a very good game, even though there's a lot of different opinions of it. My problem with it is that certain elements of the battlesystem ruins the enjoyment, and the fact that the enemies level up with you, making the levelling pointless. Junction system is nice, but it's also screwing you over so that your spells are used up when you use them. The spells work more like scrolls, making it a depletable. And once you start using spells you've junctionened to yourself, you get weaker, cause less spells means less effect on the junctioning. This kinda forces you to only use basic attacks, and removes all incentive of using magic. If that wasn't enough, the GFs (summons) are completely useless, as you'll probably do more damage with the basic attacks than your GF does.

But some people love it, and some people hate it. For some it's the best FF ever, for others it's the worst. You can't really go wrong with at least trying it out, because there's a lot of good stuff in it that makes it worth playing through.

devilman

Re:

Post by devilman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:39 am

Smurph wrote:Lest we forget, FFVIII had f**king junctioning too, which makes the random battles even worse.
Plus you could effectively take off one person's equipment and pass it to another mkaing the characters themselves pretty irrelevant.

Kai

Post by Kai » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:06 am

Final Fantasy VIII is the best in the series. Period.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:19 pm

StarEye wrote:
These two lines kinda messes up the whole thing a bit. 50 hours? You were bored for 50 hours, or you just started to get bored after 45?
I had gotten to the final bit where you go down to fight Sephiroth but I kept on getting killed. This was after about 40 hours. So I went back to the underwater ship to level up for about 8-9 hours. Thing is, once you've played a game for so long and you know you're almost finshed it, its pointless to just give up - although I was tempted. I didn't find the game boring, its just the random battles that got to me.