The Mobile Phone Section

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Re: The Mobile Phone Section

Post by SirClive » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:35 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Well, I hate to say it but I am now quite tempted to get one!
Not just for the gaming but as an all round entertainment device - I need a new MP3 player and I do like the idea of downloading from I-tunes wherever I am!
Just remember that iPod Touch can only download via wifi/usb. You need an iPhone for mobile downloading.

clarance

Post by clarance » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:25 pm

Well I still don't quite get this new iPhone section - which is what it clearly is - despite a sprinkling of other mobile phone game reviews within it.

The section heading is 'MOBILERETRO', well if that's the case, why not include PSP and DS releases within it (am I missing the point). That would make far more sense than having a section devoted to just the iPhone/mobile phones, especially as the RG staff are banging on about it being a proper gaming platform competing against the DS and the PSP.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:47 pm

SirClive wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:Well, I hate to say it but I am now quite tempted to get one!
Not just for the gaming but as an all round entertainment device - I need a new MP3 player and I do like the idea of downloading from I-tunes wherever I am!
Just remember that iPod Touch can only download via wifi/usb. You need an iPhone for mobile downloading.
Bugger!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:07 pm

The iTouch has some great games, a favourite of mine and SirClives is Virtual Pool, play that on the train every day at work. I do wonder on these feedback threads if we represent the majorty view on anything, most readers of RG ae not members. I wonder what they think about all this, whether, frankly, they give a toss?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:46 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:To be fair Toxie my very first post in this thread said that the reviews section would feature a dedicated mobile section. I made no mention of them being littered throughout the section. The only difference is the section crept up by a spread. I'm betting if we hadn't have had submitted while we had the two page mega drive piece that may not have happened.
I am hearing you Darran. I'm not trying to stir the sh!t with you or anything like that, and you know by what I've said that I'm liking the mag even more in recent months than I used to (which you deserve a hell of a lot of credit for :) ) and barely complain in the feedback section anymore, I'm just damn confused about this whole mobile phone reviews thing. You say that your first post in this thread said that the reviews section would feature a dedicated mobile section. However, Craig's first post in this thread reckons that you didn't say that at all.
CraigGrannell wrote:
ipmarks wrote:but if you'd asked me a year ago if there'd be an iPhone section I'd have said that'd never happen either.
Darran hasn't stated that there's going to be "an iPhone section".
So to me, that looks like 2 different people are saying 2 different things. :?

Craig then goes on to say
CraigGrannell wrote:Darran has specifically stated that the size of the reviews section isn't going to change*
FatTrucker then has this to say
FatTrucker wrote:
Quite the opposite (although the point is moot since Darran clarified everything further up the thread), its perfectly ok to include any new, old or in between device receiving relevant games to be included in the mag. OK I know OPA has been particularly vigorous in his condemnation of the format as a whole but for the most part the core issue was its potential inclusion as a dedicated focussed part of the mag.

No-one has specifically been calling for it to be vetoed completely, TBH to blatantly rule out anything is probably not a sensible decision in terms of flexibility. What actually kicked all this off was Darrans original statement that there would be a regular 2 page feature in the mag from now on dedicated to mobile phone gaming with a focus on the iphone. People's ire has largely been that there's already a section that this will slot into without having another section dedicated to a modern platform taking the mag further into mainstream territory covering modern systems.

As I said Darran has since clarified that any iphone or other modern format coverage will still be happening under the current allocated section for that type of thing meaning we've all f**ked our toys off for nothing.... :wink:
And finally, you say this in direct response to him...
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Yeah I just didn't make things very clear did I...

If you opened up next month to find a 12 page reviews section with two pages dedicated to iphone games then yes, you would understandably be upset as this would be a blatent case of 'proper' content being sacrificed for stuff that you feel isn't relevant. As it is, the review section's size is staying exactly the same, so all that will be happening is that there will be two less, single page reviews than normal. Seeing we always manage to cover stuff we've missed in the two/4 page roundups we do within that section, I can't see a real issue.

Now if next month's making ofs were a six page article on Vector Tanks and a 4 page interview with a company who specifically makes mobile phone games then you'd all have reason to get angry (although I am tempted to do a two page article on Vector Tanks, it really is a remarkable little game).

So, to my eyes at least, you're actually agreeing with him and Craig that you're not introducing a dedicated mobile section into the reviews. Either that, or I've completely misunderstood/misread you somewhere. It's as clear as mud to me, to be honest. :? :? :?

Now, you've already replied to my concerns about introducing a dedicated mobile phone section and increasing the size of the review section this month seemingly out of the blue with this post....
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:To be fair he's got a valid point.

I specifically stated that there would be no more than 8 pages (i wasn't including the homebrew stuff) but the very next day we went into a redesign meeting and it was felt that those 8 pages I'd put forward wasn't strong enough for the revamped section and it was quickly changed. Therefore, it now looks like I was lying, which would no doubt cast distrust on any future claims I may make.

but now you're saying that it WAS actually the intention all along to introduce a dedicated mobile phone section even though you've implied before that it wasn't? I'm missing something here, aren't I? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

For the record, I am NOT trying to catch you out or anything like that, I'm just trying to unravel this mess of a thread. I've said it before and I'll say it again....you've done an absolutely fantastic job with improving the magazine recently and I trust you not to sell out on us.

However, the biggest problem I'm seeing on this thread is not that you're putting iphone reviews into the mag as such, it's that your giving them special treatment and, seemingly, a permanent place in the mag each and every month. No other format gets that.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:37 am

Right then.
I always stated that we were doing a dedicated mobile section. It's on my very first post.
My point was if there was a 12-page spread meaning that additional pages of the mag were sacrificed in order to create that mobile section then I could understand while people might get annoyed.

The whole point I was ma,ing was that while there would be a dedicated mobile section, it wouldn't be at the expense of pages taken from elsewhere. There was always a 8 page review section, so if it was incorporated into that, you wouldn't be losing any proper retro content. As it was, this got changed at the last minute, meaning that my original 8 pages got pushed to ten.

Hopefully that explanation will placate you. If it doesn't then I'm sorry, but at least you're getting an actual reply. Other editors would simply ignore you and carrying on doing whatever they felt needed to be done to their magazines.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:41 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Right then.
I always stated that we were doing a dedicated mobile section. It's on my very first post.
My point was if there was a 12-page spread meaning that additional pages of the mag were sacrificed in order to create that mobile section then I could understand while people might get annoyed.

The whole point I was ma,ing was that while there would be a dedicated mobile section, it wouldn't be at the expense of pages taken from elsewhere. There was always a 8 page review section, so if it was incorporated into that, you wouldn't be losing any proper retro content. As it was, this got changed at the last minute, meaning that my original 8 pages got pushed to ten.

Hopefully that explanation will placate you. If it doesn't then I'm sorry, but at least you're getting an actual reply. Other editors would simply ignore you and carrying on doing whatever they felt needed to be done to their magazines.
So it's a regular feature? ie: every issue?

Is it a tie-in with iCreate and Iphonekungfu.com then?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:06 am

Crunchy wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Right then.

So it's a regular feature? ie: every issue?

Is it a tie-in with iCreate and Iphonekungfu.com then?
No not at all. It was a way to distinguish the games from the rest of the section. If it doesn't work it will go, as we've done with many other features in the past.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:54 pm

I think it would look better if there were actually other mobile phone games on the page, or something else portable (not that I play any - I might if you could track down some that were free and homebrew rather than linked to extortionate callback or number-harvesting schemes). Or even just mix up the format a little.

As it stands it could easily be mistaken for a 2-page promotional feature for the iPhone, which detracts from the independent theme of the rest of the magazine.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:35 pm

Just as a point in interest (or dis-interest) - my friend who has the iPhone still only looks thru the mag in WH Smiths - it hasnt made him buy it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:37 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:Just as a point in interest (or dis-interest) - my friend who has the iPhone still only looks thru the mag in WH Smiths - it hasnt made him buy it.
Why would you buy any magazine if it only has two pages you were interested in? You'd have to have more money than sense.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:08 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:Just as a point in interest (or dis-interest) - my friend who has the iPhone still only looks thru the mag in WH Smiths - it hasnt made him buy it.
Why would you buy any magazine if it only has two pages you were interested in? You'd have to have more money than sense.

I should have been clearer: he likes retro and has always either looked thru mine or WH Smiths copy - what I meant to say was that the iPhone section hasn't 'put him over the top' and made him buy it. (To be honest I wish it had - as I'd like to see RG gain readers)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:30 pm

I bought Edge for the last couple of years just for its two pages each of 'revisited' and 'making of'.

I used to buy PC Zone because it had a single page on retro and emulation (pre-RG).

You may have a point... ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:34 am

darran wrote:Why would you buy any magazine if it only has two pages you were interested in? You'd have to have more money than sense.

Well isn't the iphone section, that's not just an iphone section remember, it covers all mobile phone games even though Darran himself tells us they have been looking at iphone releases in the box out on page 94, no mention of other mobile games or plaforms BUT anyway, isn't the point of this new section to keep up with the times and draw in new readers..?

If you don't belive that the 2 pages is enough to do that and know that most of your regular readers can't stand the thought of mobile phone games in the magazine why bother with it in the first place..?

I still dont get it...

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:40 am

have to say I wasnt really trying to make any kind of major point - it was just a real world observation. I'm not a fan of the mobile reviews - but also not that bother by them either. As I said in my reply to Darran, I'd love new people to but RG, but in this one case it hasn't worked that way. All I was saying really.