Pinball, recommend me some...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Pinball, recommend me some...

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:13 am

I've been inspired to return to pinball lately which coincided nicely with the Pinball Fantasies/Dreams/Illusions article in the new issue of RG.

I've got Virtual Pinball/PinMAME set up and working nicely with the arcade controller I built (I added buttons to the sides for this), so I can play the old Playboy table we had at our local arcade. Any other good tables to watch out for on this setup?

I thought I'd be able to pick up True Pinball for the PS1 at lunchtime but missed out. Instead, I walked out with Pinball Power, Elemental Pinball and Austin Powers Pinball. Anyone know if these are any good?

Also wondering what others are decent on other platforms so I can emulate on PSP? There's Starball and Obsession on Atari ST, though I've only got the single table demo of the latter.

I know I'm not alone in liking these things...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:45 am

Not for the platforms you mentioned, but if you like pinball in general, try:

Pro Pinball Trilogy/Dreamcast: three great tables, with plenty of stuff to do. (Apparently, the PS2/Xbox versions—called Ultimate Pro Pinball—suck, though, due to a flipper delay.) Also available on PC and Mac, albeit in individual releases.

Pinball Hall of Fame (Gottlieb collection)/Xbox (USA only)/PS2: a bunch of lovingly recreated tables that span 60 or so years.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:48 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Pro Pinball Trilogy/Dreamcast: three great tables, with plenty of stuff to do.
I have that - I'd forgotten about it :oops:
One to dig out tonight then :D

I don't have an X-Box or PS2, just a Cube and PSP from the current gen. I've lots of older systems though.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:50 am

There was a good pinball game on MegaDrive,wasn't there?

Can't remember the name though..
Dragon something?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:58 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I don't have an X-Box or PS2, just a Cube and PSP from the current gen.
You might like Gottlieb Pinball Classics, which appears to be somewhat similar to the Xbox/PS2 game I mentioned, with some of the same tables. I've no idea how it compares when you play, however.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:28 am

Yeah, one of my buddies has just bought that. I'd have it by now, but I keep forgetting to bring my trade-in to work.

The local indie-game shop owner reckons its one of the best PSP games he has and I respect his opinion.

There was Devil Crash on the MD. I was going to leave that one for Darran to bring up ;)

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:29 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Yeah, one of my buddies has just bought that. I'd have it by now, but I keep forgetting to bring my trade-in to work.

The local indie-game shop owner reckons its one of the best PSP games he has and I respect his opinion.

There was Devil Crash on the MD. I was going to leave that one for Darran to bring up ;)
That's the one I meant!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

pottyboy

Re:

Post by pottyboy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:32 am

paranoid marvin wrote:There was a good pinball game on MegaDrive,wasn't there?

Can't remember the name though..
Dragon something?
I remember I had a pinball game on the Megadrive, but it didn't have 'dragon' in the title!

The one I had was called 'Crue Ball' from Electronic Arts. Pretty good game that featured music by Motley Crue.

The Pro-Pinball games are good, but you usually only get one table.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:53 am

Pro-Pinball has three tables in the DC version (hence "trilogy").

If you want some really retro pinball goodness, Night Mission on the C64 is a decent table.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:57 am

Anothe retro to try
is Pinball Construction Set for c64 by EA
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:15 am

Was true pinball the PS1 one where you had 3 tables? Vikings and 2 others I can't remember, absolutely loved that. Only problem was, you couldn't save your high scores, WHICH IS THE WHOLE FRICKIN POINT OF PINBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: !!!!!!!!!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:25 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Was true pinball the PS1 one where you had 3 tables? Vikings and 2 others I can't remember, absolutely loved that. Only problem was, you couldn't save your high scores, WHICH IS THE WHOLE FRICKIN POINT OF PINBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: !!!!!!!!!
True Pinball is the PS1 conversion of Pinball Illusions according to the latest RG, with the addition of a table that was removed from other versions (the Viking one you remember). That was why my original plan was to pick that one up.

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:35 am

I always loved Epic Pinball on the PC.

It was only ever released as mail order shareware so might be hard to track down but I'm sure you could download it from somewhere. It came in 3 different packs each with 4 tables. I had pack 3 and loved the space odyssey and toy town tables.

Remember playing those for ages and getting silly good at them.

mr pete :)
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:39 am

The only pinball sim I ever enjoyed was Kirby's Pinball Land on the game boy. Check that out.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:21 pm

Some good suggestions there. Surprised we've had no pinMAME table recommendations, I thought we'd have a few players here.