Things you hate about games you love!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Romulous

Things you hate about games you love!

Post by Romulous » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:59 pm

Bit of an oddball question, but there is usually something about a great game that pisses you off to no end.

I am currently playing World at war on the 360 - great game, but the one thing that really cheeses me off is when you are in a great prone position and one of your AI friends comes up and decides to 'camp' up behind you.

Basically turning you into a useless bag of dripping - then to top it all off you get pumelled with some grenade lobbing fanatic.

IIRC this was a PITA with COD3 that treyarc also produced.

Anyone else got any nags they wanna get off the chest.

Oh and it does not have to be next gen.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:23 pm

The constant temple back tracking in Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. It played very well and looked stunning but I got so annoyed I sold it eventually..

romany8806

Post by romany8806 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:08 pm

I really loved Ultima IX, but anyone who's played it will probably recall a whole swag of things they disliked about it - like the shocking dialogue, unfortunate voice acting, underdeveloped story, linearity, shallow combat, useless merchants, and the BUGS! The fan-made patches help out a lot though, and it's still great to explore - the environments all feel lovingly hand-crafted. The dungeons are still great fun, and the music is really nice.

Ultima V is my favourite game (still one of the first games I loaded up once I'd installed my new 4870X2 :o ), but it takes so damn long to get your characters to level 8 due to the scarcity of enemies to fight.

Otherwise, pretty much any RPG with cumbersome inventory management - most notably Fallout, and to a lesser extent Fallout 2.

Oh, and any Bethesda game! IMO they always feel a little bit auto-generated and generic, for all their polish. Sometimes less is more (cf Ultima IX above!). Not to mention the levelling enemies and items in Oblivion, which sucked out a lot of the sense of accomplishment for me...

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:44 pm

Cheating AI. I really hate finding out a game I initially liked becomes ruined as it gets 'harder' due to lazy developers.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:23 am

The fact that I am generally crap at them.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:23 am

Backtracking in games in general, like Metroid. I don't mind exploring the areas well, I love doing that but when the game practically forces you to do it again and again the whole thing wears thin and just becomes a mundane boring task.
Glitches - Been playing a lot of Bully recently as well as Oblivion and while both are great both also have many bugs in each of them. For instance in Oblivion I can't complete a quest because the NPC won't appear making the quest impossible to beat (and also making further quests impossible to start).
Respawning enemies - I love COD2 and COD4 but the one thing I hate is the endless stream of enemies that spawn when in big battles, especially on Veteran mode can make some levels next to impossible.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

David

Post by David » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:41 am

Indoor levels in FPS's (ie Halo - the outdoor bits were great but the indoor sections were terrible)

When you are playing Pro Evo and the computer suddenly decides during a match that no matter how good you play you are definitely not going to win

David

Post by David » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:50 am

Indoor levels in FPS's (ie Halo - the outdoor bits were great but the indoor sections were terrible)

When you are playing Pro Evo and the computer suddenly decides during a match that no matter how good you play you are definitely not going to win

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:10 am

pantal00ns wrote:The fact that I am generally crap at them.
Same here, my hand to eye co-ordination is shocking. It sometimes gets to the point where I'd rather watch someone else play through a game (& help them with the puzzley bits) than actually play it myself.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:14 am

David wrote:Indoor levels in FPS's (ie Halo - the outdoor bits were great but the indoor sections were terrible)
Yeah the dull repetitive space stations really let the Halo games down.

---------------

One that annoys me is GTAIV when your on your way to do something and you get a phone call from someone wanting to go drinking or to a strip club, and knowing full well if you hang up you lose your friendship level.

---------------

Also, Counter Strike servers with bots with terrible AI, who just follow you and if your trying to be stealthy and walk they leg it behind you giving you away.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:23 am

The awful AI of the survivors in Dead Rising...you spend half your time shouting follow me/over there and the useless idiots get stuck behind a pot plant or mall bench...

Totally agree about the useless AI in cod3 and 5 plus also wherever your are prone or behind a rock or bush a bullet will always find you, if not itll be a grenade..i found both games spiteful and unfun.

Only other one i can think of is "Tails" in the bonus rounds of sonic2 - the amount of rings i lost because he bumped the bombs.

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:42 am

The sheer amount of walking about on the otherwise brilliant Monkey Island II - take item A from one side of map to item B on the complete opposite to get item C which has to be taken all the way back to where you got A from then you get D which is another three minutes walk away... I gave up on this last time I played it (under ScummVM) as it seemed a very cheap way of trying to extend the time taken to complete it and it did somewhat sour my memories of it. A lot of point-of-clicks seem to suffer from this irritation.

Long loading times (PGR3) especially if you fluff a level early on and want to restart quickly. Of course, I got to Rank 1 on PGR3 before you could install to the HD. Also annoyed me recently on Lego Indy in the flooded mine level where you have to move quickly to get the Artefact at the start of that level and if you miss it you can't go back - hence, Quit and Reload and sit there twiddling thumbs. This also counts for games where you have to go through a lot of front-end each time (Indy's Barnett College, CART Fury's myriad of menus just to get into a 2 minute game).

On the subject of Lego Indy, dumb AI whereby the bazooka guys shoot an enemy standing next to you or when you control them they put the bazooka away just as you want to shoot something that is time critical (see flooded mine level above).

On a more general (and more retro) level, time limits on old school text adventures (torch battery life in Zork, food-based time limit in Planetfall) that mean you have to run out of time repeatedly in order to map the thing out to find everything then when you have solved most of the puzzles start all over again from the beginning to try and do a perfect speedrun in order to guarantee you won't run out of time when trying to complete. Also a lot of your save games are suspect because while you might not be dead-ended you can't be sure there is enough time left to complete the task.

Any RPG that mixes random encounters with a time limit. Mega-annoying. :evil:

Coop

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:47 am

Sureshot wrote:Cheating AI. I really hate finding out a game I initially liked becomes ruined as it gets 'harder' due to lazy developers.
I second you on this!

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:36 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:"Tails" in the bonus rounds of sonic2 - the amount of rings i lost because he bumped the bombs.
Oh yeah thats a bad one. Especially if youve only just scraped in with the minimum amount of rings needed and he goes and throws it all away right near the end.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:41 am

Pinball Dreams on the Amiga. Boy does it annoy me when you build up a massive score on the first ball only to see your other two balls go straight down the middle without hitting them once. Still addicted and play the game to death though.