Sonic the Comic

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pottyboy

Sonic the Comic

Post by pottyboy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:07 pm

Who else used to read this?

Just asking because my parents were sorting their room out whilst I was at work and my mum found this:

In pretty good nick as well! I remember this issue well as the drawing I sent made it to the Graphic Zone page, the prize being a pack of Crayola overwriter pens!

My image is the one on the bottom left.

And here's the letter I got through the post shortly after it was printed.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

thl

Post by thl » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:13 pm

Some classmates from primary school use to bring it in to read during the break. Also some even brought in few computer game magazines which included Sega Power and Mean Machine.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:46 pm

i won a competition in one of them. The prize was a Sonic water game from Tomy. I still have it, but it just crap. I don't think it even works. The button's naff, i believe.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:17 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:i won a competition in one of them. The prize was a Sonic water game from Tomy. I still have it, but it just crap. I don't think it even works. The button's naff, i believe.
Was it this one? I had one of these too, but I think it was given to me as a present as I certainly didn't win it!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:41 pm

yep, that be the one. i played it solidly for about three months, then i discovered Gunstar Heroes, and put this in the loft, still with the water in. I was lucky it didn't split. Heyho, never mind! :lol:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:22 am

Sonic The Comic is the best comic to ever be made in Britain besides the Beano and Viz, full stop. I had every single one of them until they started repeating the stories what with the reduced budget and all that.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:47 am

I remember reading it back in the 90's. The early stories were good for the time and was a good companion to the games but I had lost interest by the time they did the whole arc loosely based on Chaos/Sonic Adventure. Still impressed that it managed to live that long mind.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:57 am

I just did a Google search for "Sonic Hentai", expecting to be disappointed.

Oh... my... God...
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Ack

Post by Ack » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:59 am

What, you weren't expecting that? The Furry community took over that field years ago. But it'll be ok. Drown the images you just saw with lots of alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:11 pm

Myself and my brother got this comic fairly religously. I remember that issue; I even remember those drawings! Best storyline was that multi-issue one where they finally overthrew Robotnik. I thought they were all thrown out until I found one upstairs about a month ago, with a (god-awful) Streets of Rage cover and a (god-awful) Kid Chameleon story as one of the three. I hope I never see the overthrow comics again because they probably haven't aged well either. I want them to stay awesome in my head!
It's called a MEGADRIVE

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 pm

The Sonic ones still read well today, as do the Mutant League stories. The Decap Attack stories are even more hilarious now, what with being older and understanding the more subtle jokes and stuff.

And yes, that Pirate STC thing is still as hatstand as it ever was.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:30 pm

I was in my 20s, quite possibly even married, before the Sonic comic was released. I bought an MD for my kids and lapped up the game, but the comics and cartoons were too juvenile for me I'm afraid. They took Sonic from being edgy and cool into just another cutesy kids toy :(
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

de-void

Post by de-void » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:23 am

pottyboy wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:i won a competition in one of them. The prize was a Sonic water game from Tomy. I still have it, but it just crap. I don't think it even works. The button's naff, i believe.
Was it this one? I had one of these too, but I think it was given to me as a present as I certainly didn't win it!

I had one of those too. I also didn't win it... where did it come from? Haha. Oh, I wish I still had it.

I do, however, have most of the comics. I started with Issue #2, although my sister ripped a lot of my early ones up (she was young :P ), so my collection starts around #7, going to around #140 (the re-prints were getting ridiculous by this point), and I think I am only missing about 5 issues from that lot.

I have collected a lot of comics and magazines and have a great collection, but I think I will be selling most on eBay within the next few years to make room/money... however some of that money will be going on finishing my StC collection if possible, that's the only one I will keep until my end of days. A fantastic comic, great memories, great humour, great stories :)

I am a member of a Retro Gaming Monthly Club where we choose 4 games to play that month. If you're interested, PM me. Mostly SNES based, branching out into PSX and MD/Genesis.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:45 pm

I think I might still have the first issue, with the free badge taped on the cover! I remember the Streets of Rage section too! Will have to go digging in my parents' loft soon I think :D
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:16 pm

I rember this, I only ever got one issue (I didnt have much money and mum didnt go to the newsagent that stocked it that often. I still had the Sonic Keyring until a few years back when it broke.
Watching you sleep since 1990