Doom can now play itself

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:59 am

Vir_Lucis wrote:You know i came into this thread expecting it to be about someone programming an AI routine that could play all the way through the game ;)
That makes two of us! :P

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:03 am

Rinoa wrote:
Vir_Lucis wrote:You know i came into this thread expecting it to be about someone programming an AI routine that could play all the way through the game ;)
That makes two of us! :P
Haha sorry, was implying that being 15 yeras old, it can now legally play itself as it's a 15 certificate.

Was going to title it in a Duke Nukem 3D style "Doom can now play with itself", but I felt I was pushing it a little.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:13 am

I played Heretic before I played Doom (bit bizarre I know) so always preferred that as you couldn't look up and down in Doom.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:35 am

First saw Doom being played on the PC and thought it was awesome. Never owned a PC back then, so I wanted it badly. Since I owned a CD32 back then, I bought Gloom which as the name suggests was a rip of the game. Unfortunately the game never captured the gameplay and atmosphere of Doom. Although Doom had blocky graphics because of hardware limitations, Gloom's were even blockier and it was sometimes hard to workout what was and wasn't a monster as they clashed with the background and still objects.

Madge

Post by Madge » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:34 am

I first played Doom on the same coverdisk that you guys have already mentioned, and soon afterwards it became the first game I bought for my shiny new PlayStation. It blew my socks off, especially when linked to another PS for co-op action, and I still play it on PC via Doomsday, having bought that huge collection of id games that was put on Steam a while back.
I love the simplicity of it - I find it far more enjoyable than most modern "realistic" FPS games.
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:19 am

For me, DOOM and DOOM II are still the greatest games ever made.

When my folks bought me a PC when I was 14 the main reason I wanted it was to play DOOM II, as id seen it on TV and didnt know anyone who owned it, and I bought it from town just a few days after getting a PC and I have never been so excited in my life, and I think it just gets better with age. I mean, modern FPS games are amazing, but for every hour I spend on my 360 playing them, I bet I spend double on DosBox playing DOOM.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Devious

Post by Devious » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:16 am

Has anybody found a reasonable solution to the limited refresh rate problem of those old DOS games? Playing them at 70Hz and lower for even a relatively short time can induce a throbbing headache. :(

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:23 am

Devious wrote:Has anybody found a reasonable solution to the limited refresh rate problem of those old DOS games? Playing them at 70Hz and lower for even a relatively short time can induce a throbbing headache. :(
But if you play them on an flat panel monitor (not a CRT), no throbbing headache.

However, if you can still get it, SciTech Display Doctor allows you to tweak the refresh rates of VESA and VGA graphics modes in DOS.
Not sure it will work on 2000/XP/Vista but it does work in pure DOS and in Win95/98/ME Command Prompt.
I've not used it for some time, but it had (and probably still has) a permenant home on my old DOS PC.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:26 am

I don't think I've ever run a game over 60Hz. No point. Better to give the PC more time to work on the game than to have it going all out for a stupidly high refresh rate.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:45 am

AlleyKat wrote:Yeah, when I played Doom on a friends PC, I always played without the music which I found a bit dodgy, if memory serves. The near silence punctuated by the various sounds of growling monsters and doors etc made it a lot more atmospheric.

The PS1 version had a far better ambient musical score, I thought.
The music on the PC version depends on your sound card. It's OK on a Sound Blaster using the FM synthesizer, but really comes into its own when played through a general MIDI card, particularly the Roland SCC-1.

Devious

Post by Devious » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:52 am

woody.cool wrote:
Devious wrote:Has anybody found a reasonable solution to the limited refresh rate problem of those old DOS games? Playing them at 70Hz and lower for even a relatively short time can induce a throbbing headache. :(
But if you play them on an flat panel monitor (not a CRT), no throbbing headache.

However, if you can still get it, SciTech Display Doctor allows you to tweak the refresh rates of VESA and VGA graphics modes in DOS.
Not sure it will work on 2000/XP/Vista but it does work in pure DOS and in Win95/98/ME Command Prompt.
I've not used it for some time, but it had (and probably still has) a permenant home on my old DOS PC.
Yeah, I read about that a few years back but the SciTech solution didn't work with my video card. The LCD display would be a very good solution, though the picture quality is more impressive with a CRT. I have an old Optoma 755a lying around but its missing an AC power cord and I haven't been able to find one online. The cord would connect to a round socket about a half inch across with 4 holes for accepting the prongs on the plug. *sigh*

To Antiriad2097: The refresh rate only really matters if you are using a CRT monitor. It doesn't tax the system, and is compatible with practically every piece of software. If you are using Windows on a CRT display I suggest you ensure yours is set to at least 85Hz at 1024x768 (some monitors work at 75Hz max @ 1024x768, which is okay.) and even more at higher resolutions provided your hardware supports this, this way you'll experience less eyestrain and fatigue when viewing things on your monitor for prolonged periods.

Madge

Post by Madge » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:00 am

Or you can run Doom under a source port, many of these allow you to you specify a refresh rate and also support higher resolutions than Doom did originally.
There's even a Dreamcast version, though I haven't tried it yet.
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:37 am

I have painful memories of downloading the shareware version via a local BBS with my old 900 baud beast, only to find it to be corrupt.
It was almost a year later before I actually played after picking up a shareware copy on disk from a computer fayre, good times!

I also remember paying £39.99 for Doom II... ouch!