The 360 Import Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gmintyfresh

The 360 Import Thread

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:58 am

I've been threatening to post something about 360 import gaming for a while now......

Edit: 01/05/2012 Finally got around to adding most of the 360 shmup releases below, there are a few releases missing and I'll add full release information later but I've made a start:

Edit: 14/03/2013 Updated with some of the more recent titles

Physical Japanese releases first then UK/US if applicable:

Senko no Ronde Rev.X - July 2006. There's also a rare Japanese first print limited editon.
Released as Wartech: Senko No Ronde in the UK/US.

Shikigami no Shiro III - December 2007.
Raiden Fighters Aces - March 2008. Japanese version has a superplay DVD included. Also released in the US should be very cheap and unfortunately region locked and without superplay DVD
Raiden IV - September 2008. Japanese release includes and soundtrack CD. Also released in the US
Otomedius Gorgeous - November 2008. Japanese first print release includes comic book and DLC card, there's a limited edition variant that includes the touchscreen joystick
Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label Extra - February 2009. Japanese first print editon includes Cave guide/artbook
Shooting Love 200X - February 2009. Includes superplay DVD
Death Smiles - April 2009
Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta - June 2009
Mushihimesama Futari - November 2009
ESPGaluda II - February 2010
Ketsui - April 2010
Senko no Ronde DUO - May 2010
Death Smiles II X - May 2010
Strike Witches Shirogane no Tsubasa - July 2010
Radirgy Noah Massive - October 2010
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu - November 2010
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu: Black Label - February 2011
Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets - February 2011
Bullet Soul - April 2011
Eschatos - April 2011
Otomedius Excellent - Apr 2011
Akai Katana - May 2011
Under Defeat HD - February 2012
Mushihimesama HD - May 2012. Regular and Limited Edition REGION LOCKED.
Ginga Force - Feb 2014. First print includes soundtrack DC REGION FREE

Platinum Physical Re-relases:

Senko no Ronde Rev.X - Mar 04, 2008
Otomedius Gorgeous - Mar 11, 2010
Deathsmiles - Apr 8, 2010
Mushihimesama Futari - Nov 11, 2010 *
ESPGaluda II - Apr 28, 2011 *
Deathsmiles II X - Nov 10, 2011
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu - Mar 08, 2012
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Double Pack - Apr 26, 2012
Eschatos Wonderprice Version -
Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets [Cave the Best Version] - Feb 2013 REGION FREE

Xbox Live Arcade releases:

Aegis Wing - 2007 (US Marketplace only)
Ikaruga - 2008
Triggerheart Excelica - 2008
Omega Five - 2008
R-Type Dimensions - 2009
Raystorm HD - 2010
Space Invaders: Infinity Gene - 2010
King of Fighters: Sky Stage - 2010
Guwange - 2010
Strania - 2011
Trouble Witches Neo - 2011
Bangai-O: Missile Fury - 2011
Radiant Silvergun - 2011
SINE MORA - 2012

Here are my first thoughts on the Konami 360 conversion of Otomedius which arrived this week. This shooter the spiritual successor to the Parodius series and for the last couple of days I've been plugging away at it.

+Presentation is immaculate with the menus, cut scenes, and in-game graphics all looking stunning in HD. The main characters are very well designed and the backgrounds are all bright and bold.
-Not hugely import friendly as everything is in Japanese, unlike a lot of Jap shooters which have mainly English menus Otomedius doesn’t. You'll find the Arcade mode, Gorgeous mode, and the galleries quite easily but tweaking other options is pure trial and error – not a real fault of the game but something to consider.
+The achievements seem pretty easy to acquire, with the bulk of them coming from playthroughs with the different characters.
-No achievement for a 1cc and one of the achievements will be tedious in the extreme
+Boss encounters are imaginative and exiting - The design of the bosses is particularly impressive with real strategy and refluxes needed to beat some of them.
-Against the bosses your main weapon seems slightly underpowered if you lose your options, the bosses leave after a certain amount of time so you don't always have enough time to finish them off unless you completely nail your attack.
+References to the other Konami games will make a fan smile. I've spotted references to games in the Parodius, Twinbee, and Gradius series. One of the levels is purely for the fans, I won't spoil the surprise for any of you but I found it great being a fan of the series.
+/- The soundtrack also pays quite a bit fan service and there are quite a few remixes of tunes from the Gradius series. The original music in the game though is either amazing or very bland.
+There is an extensive library of game content unlocks, you'll spend ages perfecting your score so that you'll get more gold and buy items from the shop. It looks like there are more weapons, gallery items, and collector cards - great replay value.
-Infinite continues from the off in Gorgeous mode mean that you can get through the game in your first sitting, it should be relatively straightforward to crack 800 points of the achievements this way (a time related continue unlock would have been a simple solution to this).
+The Arcade mode is loads of fun, it’s only three levels long but is totally focussed on the art of the highscore.

All in all quite a good shooter, it's full of the series trademark humour and is actually loads of fun to play. I suspect it's one that fans Konami shooters will really enjoy as it is very famililar in the way it plays. I don't think a Cave fan will get much out of it as there aren’t streams of bullets to avoid and the game only gets really hard on the higher difficulty levels. Easily the premiere Horizontal shooter on the system (it’s not got much competition) but I suspect that when Deathsmiles is released this'll look less impressive. 7/10
Last edited by gmintyfresh on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:11 am

Thanks for your impressions. Sounds exactly like my type of shooter. I'm not a big fan of bullet-curtain shooters. Classic gameplay is more my thing :)
If more of them will hit 360, I'm gonna import a Japanese one.

Devious

Post by Devious » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:15 am

I used to really enjoy scrolling shooters when I was a kid. I didn't know they began mixing 3D and 2D together. It's not just static 3D backgrounds either! Take a look.

Incidentally, that's one video that takes advantage of YouTube's new widescreen video format. :)

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:18 am

Type2XS wrote:Thanks for your impressions. Sounds exactly like my type of shooter. I'm not a big fan of bullet-curtain shooters. Classic gameplay is more my thing :)
If more of them will hit 360, I'm gonna import a Japanese one.
Cool, I know quite few bullet hell fans that really dislike this game but it's a good solid shooter.

Raiden 4 plays in a simliar vain, it is challenging but doesn't rely on insane curtains of death for your shooter fun. It's about fire and avoid pure and simple :D

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:19 am

Once the christmas releases dry up an import 360 is going to be a serious option, this looks good fun, hows raiden IV?

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:25 am

My slow typing speed means you already answered that.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:25 am

Thanks for the impressions, I had no idea that Otomedius was the "successor" to Gradius. Sounds like I might have to consider an import 360 after all.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:23 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:Once the christmas releases dry up an import 360 is going to be a serious option, this looks good fun, hows raiden IV?
The upcoming line up looks great mate:

DoDonpachi Dai Ou Jou - 25/12/2008

Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra - 29/01/2008

Death Smiles - Q1 2009

Exceal/Trizeal enhanced pack 02/2009?

Raiden 4 is seriously cool, everything that was good about 3 has been enhanced and taken further. You can play the game purely for survival but the missions/challenges in the game are as much as the main game for me. I'll do a similar first thoughts post about that game too :D

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:30 am

ShadowMan wrote:Thanks for the impressions, I had no idea that Otomedius was the "successor" to Gradius. Sounds like I might have to consider an import 360 after all.
I think this is the route they want to take the franchise, it's slightly more grown up and less mad (not sure if that's a good thing!).

I need to see Gradius 6, this is a nice appetiser but Konami need to get back to that next.

I don't regret taking the plunge and getting an import 360 one bit, it's been the easiest import console I've bought to set up to run in the uk. I've noticed the import price to the UK has crept up moving toward christmas but the Arcade version is still a spectacular bargain.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:05 am

Otomedius has sold 14,045 copies in Japan in three days and is number 19 in the multiformat chart. Apparently that's more sales than Raiden Fighters Aces, Radien 4, and Shikigami 3 have sold combined!!
Last edited by gmintyfresh on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:10 am

Great, perhaps it's the signal Konami needs to get Gradius 6 up and running :)

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:29 am

Type2XS wrote:Great, perhaps it's the signal Konami needs to get Gradius 6 up and running :)
Hopefully, it's nice to see a shooter doing so well, it'll drop out of the charts next week like!! ;)

I hope that Treasure see this and resurrect their "unamed 360 shooter" project.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:07 pm

Some might be interested in this: http://kotaku.com/5099097/xbox-japans-s ... s-december

Though obviously its in Japan.Its pleasing to hear MS are going to be supporting the genre more. Apparently in Xbox Gamer magazine this month there has been a 2 page spread on the available shmups for the 360..

I wasn't aware of R-Type Dimensions though.

James A

Post by James A » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:37 pm

Question, If i imported a Jap 360 would i be able to put my normal 360 game profile on it or would i have to set up a brand new account?

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:35 pm

Import 360 looks like the new dreamcast :) There may be an outside chance of raiden IV reaching here in a couple of years but no chance with death smiles.
gmintyfresh wrote:Otomedius has sold 14,045 copies in Japan in three days and is number 19 in the multiformat chart. Apparently that's more sales than Raiden Fighters Aces, Radien 4, and Shikigami 3 have sold combined!!
Thats kind of sad re sales of raiden and shikigami, they must only be selling 5000 copies each - its hard to see how companies can keep going with sales like that. Although its great when a shmup is released on Live theres no replacing a nice retail copy.