Is there still a market for point and click adventures?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kaiserpc

Is there still a market for point and click adventures?

Post by kaiserpc » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:11 am

I was playing the new Indiana Jones fan made demo "Indiana Jones and the fountain of youth" (great game by the way), and it got me thinking if there was still a market for these types of games.

Back in the early nineties these types of games were amongst my favourites (Indy, Monkey Island, DOTT etc). But it all seemed to go pear shaped when they tried to go 3d.

All the big games these days seem to be either 1st person shooters, driving games or sports games.

I don't know about you but I wish the scumm adventures would make a comeback. And I don't see why it couldn't work. Look at Nintendo and the DS, they are bringing back Super Mario as a 2D game - and I bet you it goes straight in at number 1.

Maybe using the handheld market is the way to go, the DS is a perfect medium for point and click. You could have all the actions in the bottom window controlled by the stylus, and the actual game in the top window. The only problem is I don't see many publishers jumping at producing these sorts of games anymore :cry:

Maybe we need to start a petition to Lucas Arts to bring back scumm, just without the 3d though :wink:
c64 > spectrum 48k

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:46 am

I still buy and play these games. I have Still Life and Syberia II on Xbox, Phoenix Wright and Another Code on DS and I'm really looking forward to the new Sam n Max and Broken Sword.

Adventure games never died (It's the biggest myth in the games industry), there are still plenty worth buying and there are loads of fans out there. Just look at how well the CSI games sell.

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:37 am

I reckon Lucasarts should make a scumm based in the Star Wars universe. In fact, I can't believe they have not done this already!!! It would rule.

Anyone remeber the short 'novel' that came free with the pc version of Tie Fighter?

Somethng like that as a point and clicky.

Damn Lucas, sort it! :x

mr pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:43 am

pforson wrote:I reckon Lucasarts should make a scumm based in the Star Wars universe. In fact, I can't believe they have not done this already!!! It would rule.

Anyone remeber the short 'novel' that came free with the pc version of Tie Fighter?

Somethng like that as a point and clicky.

Damn Lucas, sort it! :x

mr pete
They did a "Desktop Adventure" called Yoda Stories. It was on PC and Game Boy but wasn't very good.

pforson

Re:

Post by pforson » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:55 am

Ash wrote:
They did a "Desktop Adventure" called Yoda Stories. It was on PC and Game Boy but wasn't very good.
I kind of remember that. Was there an Indy version too? Top down Zelda Style?

Screw that, make it like monkey. Imagine the amount of possible sarcastic 'force' lines the game could use?!?!

... I'm so excited by this idea I might make it myself :), now, where was that adventure creator software kit thingy...

mr pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:22 am

pforson wrote:
Ash wrote:
I kind of remember that. Was there an Indy version too? Top down Zelda Style?

Screw that, make it like monkey. Imagine the amount of possible sarcastic 'force' lines the game could use?!?!

... I'm so excited by this idea I might make it myself :), now, where was that adventure creator software kit thingy...

mr pete
Yeah, it was Zelda style. Can't remember an Indy one but you're probably right.

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:35 am

I remember the indy one it was called something like Indiana Jones Desktop adventures and was similar to yoda storys , both of em were fairly naff windows 95 efforts that could almost blend in with hearts and solitaire without us so much as blinking.

as for the adventure games , I too am sick of 3D and wish for a return to the classic 2D'ers of the past.
Heck I even prefer the ones with no speech!!
Retro when it wasnt cool

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:51 pm

I enjoyed King's Quest back in the day, but I slowly just moved away from point and click adventures. I really should go back and try Monkey Island or Grim Fandango, but just don't have the time.

Morkin

Re: Is there still a market for point and click adventures?

Post by Morkin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:59 pm

kaiserpc wrote:
Maybe using the handheld market is the way to go, the DS is a perfect medium for point and click. You could have all the actions in the bottom window controlled by the stylus, and the actual game in the top window.
Agreed. I've recently bought Trace Memory/Another Code for a tenner & I'm really looking forward to playing it. I'd certainly be interested in buying point & click adventures for the DS, especially if they were able to put them out at a reasonable price.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:09 pm

I finished playing Fahrenheit on PC this week and I truely felt like it was a very well disguised adventure game. A bit short but a great story and some interesting scenes. I'd imagine you could find it quite cheap now. Highly recommended.

C4

Re: Is there still a market for point and click adventures?

Post by C4 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:16 pm

kaiserpc wrote:I was playing the new Indiana Jones fan made demo "Indiana Jones and the fountain of youth" (great game by the way), and it got me thinking if there was still a market for these types of games.

Back in the early nineties these types of games were amongst my favourites (Indy, Monkey Island, DOTT etc). But it all seemed to go pear shaped when they tried to go 3d.

All the big games these days seem to be either 1st person shooters, driving games or sports games.

I don't know about you but I wish the scumm adventures would make a comeback. And I don't see why it couldn't work. Look at Nintendo and the DS, they are bringing back Super Mario as a 2D game - and I bet you it goes straight in at number 1.

Maybe using the handheld market is the way to go, the DS is a perfect medium for point and click. You could have all the actions in the bottom window controlled by the stylus, and the actual game in the top window. The only problem is I don't see many publishers jumping at producing these sorts of games anymore :cry:

Maybe we need to start a petition to Lucas Arts to bring back scumm, just without the 3d though :wink:
I couldn't agree with you more!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:02 pm

If Lucasarts made another scumm game nw,it's unlikely to be anywhere near as entertaining as those they made 10 years ago

They (Lucasarts) seem to have lost that special 'magic' they had.Just compare Monkey Island 3+4 to 1+2 - even Grim Fandango compared to Day of the Tentacle , or Tie Fighter and X-Wing to Force Commander

Regarding a Star Wars point'n'click , it's unlikely they would parody
their best 'franchise' (although Shadows of Empire and Force Commander
could arguably be classed as parodies)

Also most of the 'serious' point'n'clicks have been no-where near as good
as the comic ones.I mean,DOTT,Monkey Island,Sam'n'Max are far superior to Broken Sword or even Lucasarts own The Dig (I'm counting the Indy games as comic!)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:37 pm

I love that kind of game and only stopped buying them when the difficulty became that hard that I wasn't getting my moneys worth.
Sam and Max was probably the point that I said F*** this for a game of soldiers, what twisted weirdo would think of doing that without a walkthrough!!

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:40 pm

SirClive wrote:I love that kind of game and only stopped buying them when the difficulty became that hard that I wasn't getting my moneys worth.
Sam and Max was probably the point that I said F*** this for a game of soldiers, what twisted weirdo would think of doing that without a walkthrough!!
If the puzzles were all totally logical,then the games would be too easy-and Sm'n'Max wouldn't be Sam'n'Max without some odd solutions

I think the best game as far as logical puzzles are concerned is Day of the Tentacle
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:44 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: I think the best game as far as logical puzzles are concerned is Day of the Tentacle
Yes, I loved that!