Favourite console...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Favourite console...

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:16 pm

Let's not get into a censored fest, but what's everyone's favourite console and why?

For me it has to be Sega's Saturn, it was horrifically underrated, had a stunning array of jap exclusive titles and has more shmups than I know what to do with.

Runners up include the Dreamcast and SNES.

RetroEd

Post by RetroEd » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:40 pm

The SNES is my favourite console of all time. It had such an enjoyable array of titles, and the controller was, and still is, perfect. It also played host to one of, if not the, best platformers of all time; Super Mario World. Not to mention the stunning RPG's that appeared on the system.

I still remember my mum purchasing me the SFII console pack when I was 11, I believe it was £160 at the time, which still remains packed away safely in tip top condition.

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:13 pm

Has to be the dreamcast for me. I got married the week it was coming out, and just remember through all the stress and last minute arrangements etc driving for an hour to get to the only place in Cornwall that had one left. It brought us many classic games and fine videogame moments but the thing that really makes it special for me is that it was my first social console, My wife (a staunch non gamer) loved it, it was played at dinner parties and everyone joined in and loved it. Plus it got me into online gaming so still had that hard core element. Hard to remember now, but i didnt have a pc when DC released so for a few months was my internet outside of work. Very special indeed.

closely followed by Saturn for everything Darran has just said plus all those lovely am2 beat em ups, fighting vipers and virtua on especially.
Just where is Mickey T?

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm

I really am torn on this. Im still finding games on the saturn that i didnt know existed (partly bcse i was young and naive at the time) and playing stuff like Metal slug, Vampire saviour, Pocket fighter, Panzer saga, Shining force 3 etc etc for the first time are cherished memories.

But the Dreamcast is old faithful. I've had it since launch (swapped a jap launch model for it) and its been my main console ever since, even now with my GC and PS2 its my main console. So many great games, and it could do all sorts of wonderful stuff, like the VCD player and avi player, the homebrew scene for example.

I think i'll plump for the Dreamcast, the saturn probably offers the better 'pure' gaming experience, but the DC was what i dreamed i'd play when i was a kid. It seemed so far away, but what, 6 years after I got my megadrive this beast landed on my door step. It kicked off true next gen gaming, but it also carried the flag for saturn style shooters and fighters

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:15 pm

1. Neo Geo
2. PC Engine
3. Dreamcast

That sounds about right for me!

Although Saturn is a VERY close 4th!

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:09 pm

I missed out on a lot of the consoles in the 90's, as I got bored of gaming until I then got a Playstation.

For what I have seen since:

1) PC engine
2) SNES
3) CD32

FishyFish

Post by FishyFish » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:20 am

In terms of hours of fun provided, my favourite has to be my N64. I loved it so. Goldeneye, OOT, Banjo-Kazooie, Blast Corps, Super Mario 64 plus a whole bunch of others that captured my imagination and drew me into their worlds.

Plus, there's something about cartridges that will always make them feel more special than discs.

Fishy

Markie

Post by Markie » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:37 am

A real tough one this is isn't it? Luckily (or unluckily depending on your point of view) I've had to do mags on all consoles so I've had some hands on time with them all. But like a lot of you guys on here I reckon the SNES has to win out! Closely followed by my beloved N64 and Dreamcast.

What's better than Pizza and playing Super Metroid or Mario Kart (goes all dreamy eyed!).
Or on N64 Banzo Kazooie (genius game) and Diddy Kong Racing (my wife plays that regularly even now!).

Dreamcast... ahhh.. OK it's disc based, but don't hold that against it! Soul Calibur rocks on DC.. :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:58 am

Markie wrote:A real tough one this is isn't it? Luckily (or unluckily depending on your point of view) I've had to do mags on all consoles so I've had some hands on time with them all. But like a lot of you guys on here I reckon the SNES has to win out! Closely followed by my beloved N64 and Dreamcast.

What's better than Pizza and playing Super Metroid or Mario Kart (goes all dreamy eyed!).
Or on N64 Banzo Kazooie (genius game) and Diddy Kong Racing (my wife plays that regularly even now!).

Dreamcast... ahhh.. OK it's disc based, but don't hold that against it! Soul Calibur rocks on DC.. :)
Crikey Markie, I never realised you were such a Nintendo fanboy, I thought it was all about the Sabreman ;)

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:14 am

A difficult question for me, as I was out of the gaming loop in the 1980's. I had heaps of fun with my N64, especially with Banjo Kazooie, but I also fell in love with my Dreamcast & spent hours playing on it.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:40 am

Super Nintendo is the greatest console ever as it had an incredible amount of brilliant, classic, quirky, still played today or copied games.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

mr.zzapback

Post by mr.zzapback » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:54 am

From my own experience:

1.SNES
(All the way! Who can deny it? the list of classic, timeless games is sheer endless)

runners up:
Megadrive (EA Hockey rules! Sensible soccer on ice!)
Dreamcast (MSR, Virtua Tennis etc.)
Gamecube (Monkeyball, and all the Nintendo excellence)
Saturn (superior to the PSX. Sega Rally, SWW Soccer, I love it!)

romanista

Post by romanista » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:41 am

1.Amiga (sensi), i know, not a console, but still
2. Vectrex.. playing protector is still the best home arcade (defender) experience
3. Dreamcast (crazy taxi)

Vlad The Nailer

Post by Vlad The Nailer » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:37 am

Saturn. Three reasons:

1) NiGHTS
2) Radiant Silvergun
3) Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Be attitude for gains:

1) Be praying...
2) Be praying...
3) Be praying...

mechamonkey

Post by mechamonkey » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:43 am

Definately the SNES, Mario Kart, SFII, Zelda, SoM ahh it was a glorious time.

Probobly my DS in more recent days
Born from an egg on a mountain top