Scariest Moments in Games - Halloween Special

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

leefishuk

Scariest Moments in Games - Halloween Special

Post by leefishuk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:04 pm

With Halloween tomorrow, I was wondering what your scariest moment in a game is.

Mine is probably the first Resident Evil when the dogs burst through the window early on. Bloody scary.

Any others?

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Oh oh, scary games my favourite :D

Okay, for me...top three would be (in order):

(3) Condemned 2 - having some screaming, naked, junky rush at you from the darkness...

(2) Fatal Frame, too many to choose from really... ;) But generally when you see something rush passed the camera

(1) All time scariest moment, the kind i can still recall in my memory banks - was when playing Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. There is a mission set in a haunted house. Various 'haunty' things happen and build to a crescendo where you have to enter the basement of the house. You reach a cross-junction and see a ghost run across your path down the other corridor...walking up to that x junction afterwards was petrifying!

Edit: Oh, and i just remembered another creepy game - The Legacy for PC, which was a rpg in the vein of Eye of the Beholder but set in a haunted house (that reminded me quite a bit of the one from Resident Evil actually)...there is a section where you end up in an insane asylum type place. That was pretty hair-raising.
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:30 pm

Resident Evil Nemesis for me......the moment when your in the Police Station (i think), the nemesis bursts through the wall, you have a fight, he collapses.

Then, as you run back past the hole he created, he bursts through a new hole!

S**t the bed, that made me jump!

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:02 pm

Project Zero/Fatal Frame. I'm no wuss, but I've had to turn it off a couple of times late at night because the vibes are just too creepy. Brrrr.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:06 pm

Its that moment where I'm on a gaming forum but I can't tell if its a dream or reality as there's a recurring thread that keeps asking the same question over and over, even though the last time the old thread was used was mere days ago ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:20 pm

I had nightmares about Silent Hill :oops:
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:09 pm

Resident Evil when you meet the first zombie feeding on a soldier and he turns around. Made my hairs stand on end. :shock: :oops:

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Pretty sure I posted this the other day too ;)

My scariest moment in a game was in Silent Hill 2, being chased down that narrow corridor by Pyramid Head. I was censored bricks.

Also, like what others have said before, the dogs jumping through the windows in Resi Evil was definitely a "jump outta your skin" moment.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:28 pm

gping to the toilet and finding theres NO BOG ROLL!!!!!

oh, hang on........
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:30 pm

Being woken up by a mummy in DM
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:05 pm

There were loads of moments in Doom 2 that made me jump. I remember walking along a lit corridor and I saw the switch in the distance. I press it and the lights go out and I hear a door open in the distance. I then turn around and there's like 10-15 pink imps that start attacking me :shock: :shock: :shock: It was late at night and I had headphones on. No one believes me but I actually felt physical pain in my chest.

Second scary moment was in the original Thief. It started building up from when you get asked to steal a secret sword that then leads to you stealing the Eye (can't remember the exact name). Anyway, during the course of these missions I got the feeling that something wasn't quite right. What made me freak out was the cut scene when ***SPOILER ALERT*** that women turns into wood nymph pegging you to a pillar and takes out your eye while the guy who commisioned the sword turned into some kind of horned demon. One of the scariest and most memorable moments in gaming for me.

James A

Post by James A » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:21 pm

Doom 3. First video game i played with 5.1 surround.

I've said it many times the first hour of Project Zero. I don't think theres a film that scary

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:44 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Its that moment where I'm on a gaming forum but I can't tell if its a dream or reality as there's a recurring thread that keeps asking the same question over and over, even though the last time the old thread was used was mere days ago ;)
Agree fully.

This threads still going strong in the 'Feedback' section of the forum....
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:28 am

Vir_Lucis wrote: (1) All time scariest moment, the kind i can still recall in my memory banks - was when playing Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. There is a mission set in a haunted house. Various 'haunty' things happen and build to a crescendo where you have to enter the basement of the house. You reach a cross-junction and see a ghost run across your path down the other corridor...walking up to that x junction afterwards was petrifying!
Same game and part but the bit in the basement where you see the ghost walking with an axe through a small gap in the pipework but once you get round to face him...nothing there.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:34 am

Another scary moment for me is when I suffer a nightmare about sarcasm in the Retro Gamer forum.

Sorry guys, didn't realise there was another similar thread.