J.Ross and R.Brand - Phone calls

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:41 am

mattwerk wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:My point is that it was the lead story of the 10 o clock news which compared to the credit crunch, people dying in Iraq and other big stories, to have it first is a complete joke.
Pretty sure I didn't.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Read the FT then instead of 'entertainment' news. The majority of media these days is total crap.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:03 pm

I can't believe Russell Brand is employed by anyone let alone the BBC. Does anyone find him funny? He is always so pleased with himself and thinks he is oh so clever. I doubt anyone under 50 is shocked by swearing so how else can he offend? I know, lets ring up a 78 year old man and taunt him about sleeping with his granddaughter. Pathetic. I hope the BBC sack him and that none of the media give him any more publicity which is what he so obviously craves. In the great scheme of things it doesn't matter like the Iraq war matters but I don't want my license fee given to the likes of Russell Brand.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:27 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Matt_B wrote:Whilst he appeared to get away with it back then, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the book thrown at him this time.
For what? Sach's isn't pressing charges (not least because getting any kind of conviction worth a damn would be pretty much impossible).
I wasn't so much thinking of the police but rather, metaphorically, of what he'll cop from the BBC and the media generally.

As well as Sachs, there's a possibility that Baillee could press charges herself, although given that Brand wasn't exactly being untrue and that she'll get far more mileage out of playing the victim I doubt that'll happen either.
And in the unlikely event Ross gets fired from his BBC work, he'd end up on his feet anyway, due to being so bankable. That said, I'd miss Film.
Yeah, it's not exactly a career-finishing gaffe of Jim Davidson proportions. I wouldn't be surprised if Ross gets away with an apology although the BBC does have irate license payers to worry about.

Film is the sort of program that could probably work the same way if anyone presented it though. It's not exactly changed much since Ross took over from Barry Norman at any rate.

James A

Post by James A » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:54 pm

I love the fact that Saachs grandaughter news bites on sky about how distraught she is have the Sun slapped all over them.

Ive got no sympathy for Jonatahn Ross or Russell Brand because ive always thought they were a bunch of tossers. i don't like paying a licence fee but for it to pay them makes it even worse.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:32 pm

I'm sure some low level radio producer is gonna take the rap for this, BBC execs will be assigning blame as we speak.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Brand has now resigned. I expect it was a case of jumping before he got pushed. Given that he's got his fingers in a lot of other pies, I doubt his career will suffer that much though.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Ross though. I doubt that he'll want to go, or the BBC will want to lose him but if the fuss doesn't die down quickly they might have no option.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:52 pm

fredghostmaster wrote:I can't believe Russell Brand is employed by anyone let alone the BBC. Does anyone find him funny? He is always so pleased with himself and thinks he is oh so clever. I doubt anyone under 50 is shocked by swearing so how else can he offend? I know, lets ring up a 78 year old man and taunt him about sleeping with his granddaughter. Pathetic. I hope the BBC sack him and that none of the media give him any more publicity which is what he so obviously craves. In the great scheme of things it doesn't matter like the Iraq war matters but I don't want my license fee given to the likes of Russell Brand.
That's not actually a fair reflection of events. Brand was jokingly trying to do the interview he was promised with Andrew, with the answer phone when Ross leapt in and started it off.

Can we please attempt to pretend we're not getting our entire knowledge of this from the Daily Mail?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:59 pm

But its just a question of personal taste isnt it ? I like Russell Brand so my view is probably a bit biased towards him.

But i've never been a fan of Billy Connolly so when he did his sick Ken Bigley joke i disliked him even more.

Like Dudley says that wasnt a true reflection of what happened, Andrew Sachs knew he was going to be interviewed (and i'm sure his agent told him what kind of radio show it was). The interviews i've seen with Andrew Sachs he seems totally bewildered about all the press and media.

2 people complained when the show went out on air, no one here seemed to mind and didnt lose sleep over that interview. Then suddenly because everyones talking about it and taking offence the worlds going OTT.

Reminds me of when Julian Clary said some controversial things at the Comedy awards years ago and people went so OTT.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:08 pm

Yes, in the first week after the show went out (it's nearly 2 weeks old now), 2 people complained.

And I bet at least one of those was Sachs' agent.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:13 pm

Dudley wrote:And I bet at least one of those was Sachs' agent.
Apparently not, according to a few sources (not Mail associated) the first she (Sachs' agent) heard about it is from the Mail on Sunday rang her for a comment.

It's uncondonable, but it's deplorable what's developed.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:24 pm

retrogarden wrote:
Dudley wrote:And I bet at least one of those was Sachs' agent.
Apparently not, according to a few sources (not Mail associated) the first she (Sachs' agent) heard about it is from the Mail on Sunday rang her for a comment.

It's uncondonable, but it's deplorable what's developed.
Well if it looks like Max Clifford and it smells like Max Clifford...........
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:07 pm

I think both Ross and Brand are noobs.

I don't mind Ross, but Brand is just a extremley annoying tw@t.

Sadly, some people actually find his immature, puerile and schoolboy-like jokes, humour and monologues funny.

As someone in a paper today stated "Brand is nothing more than a sex obsessed, ex junkie". So true. He's certainly not funny.

Yeah mate, you're a "celebrity", so naturally girls wanna sleep with you. Well done.

Gotta say those "D1ck sack" jokes are just amazingly original. Where does this guy's genius inspiration come from??
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:27 pm

I found it very funny. But then again my sense of humour is extremely puerile. I've just spent the last ten minutes wheezing and chortling at Roger Mellie's Profanosaurus.

It was funny and yes, it was in poor taste. It can never be nice to be told by someone that there mate poked your grand-daughter, but saying they shouldn't do it because Sachs is 78 is patronising.

Also,it wasn't a prank call, it was a genuine call - they were trying to interview him.

No sackings or resigning needed, just an apology (not necessarily public) would do it.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:23 am

It amazes me how it's got so much media attention.
Surely it's a private matter between Ross, Brand and Sachs!?!

This is probably gonna sound really bad ..... but I don't actually care one little bit about this whole Brand and Ross thing. It's playground antics!