J.Ross and R.Brand - Phone calls

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:42 am

Katzkatz wrote:If they had done this on a local radio station they would have been sacked. Curiously there are two local radio presenters on an Essex radio who have done a similar phone prank and they have been sacked over it!
Martin and Sue. Thank f**k for that!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:49 am

mattwerk wrote:Other than the odd old shows I can't watch TV anymore, it is full of perversion, bad morals, anti-Christianity, disrespect and social bias - I'm not exactly a prude but I don't want to watch this crap! So those who agree, remove the TV tuner and weld your console's cable to the TV... :wink:
When you put it like that thank god for the crap we watch on tv ! Would be even worse if it was the opposite and its Songs of praise every hour.

Seriously people seem to think Andrew Sachs is a doddering old fool in an old folks home even if hes 78. Just think people are totally over reacting
Katzkatz wrote:If they had done this on a local radio station they would have been sacked. Curiously there are two local radio presenters on an Essex radio who have done a similar phone prank and they have been sacked over it!
Yep i agree, same in many other situations, look at Joey Barton and Newcastle, if he wasnt a star footballer they would have got rid of him ages ago. If he was stuck deep in the reserves and did the crap Barton did he would be gone a long time ago.

mattwerk

Post by mattwerk » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:55 am

psj3809 wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:My point is that it was the lead story of the 10 o clock news which compared to the credit crunch, people dying in Iraq and other big stories, to have it first is a complete joke.
That's life mate. Don't read too much into news broadcasts. They are heavily biased in any case and only serve to reflect whatever the broadcaster wishes to reflect. You could equally argue that Iraq is on the news instead of all the UK crime that you'd maybe see on the local news.

What I've found from living all over the place is that there are stories that may not warrant a massive outcry, yet they are main news - it deflects people's thoughts from what is really happening out there. It's political. Why is there huge emphasis on sports stories or TV stuff - you forget that there's a real world out there full of evils. Think about it - most people don't know who their MP is, but could easily talk for hours about a TV show. People don't know what their council is up to, but they know the ins and outs of their football club's dressing room. See what I mean...

And also, the broadcaster can determine the nation's mood by choosing light-hearted stories over nasty ones. Having lived in South Africa, I saw this blatantly happening. We have the worst crime in the world but they choose to show a house-building project over 50-80 murders a day. Oh how we joked down in SA... the state-run SABC (we call it SANC as it's right up the ANC's arse, it's not funny) will run stories on how GOOD the ANC is doing with various projects whereas the independent ETV news will show all the murder, rape, hijacking, corruption etc. Rather a vital issue as most South Africans use an aerial to receive TV and ETV's signal is poor outside the main cities, so all the millions of rurals will be brainwashed by SANC crap. As we said, if you feel down then SABC news will perk you up, if you feel too good then watch ETV new to put you on a downer.

Anyway, who decides what is vital and what isn't? The media chooses to talk about how bad Iraq is almost daily, but who gives a toss about poor Zimbabwe? Or Darfur? Even South Africa which is supposed to be OK, we have more murders than Iraq, the level of violence is so vile that you'd beg belief. Worse stuff happens there and elsewhere but the media doesn't care so nobody else cares because they don't know what's going on... so when the news channels say "totally unbiased coverage", it's rubbish, nobody can be so unbiased - I know from living in a volatile country that the media is anything but unbiased!

Oh well...

mattwerk

Post by mattwerk » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:00 am

psj3809 wrote:When you put it like that thank god for the crap we watch on tv ! Would be even worse if it was the opposite and its Songs of praise every hour
Steady on - I'm a Christian, I like hymns, yet I can't even stand Songs Of Praise... and of course not all TV should be 24/7 Songs of Praise! But I mean, is it really so necessary for shows to use foul language, blaspheme regularly even before the watershed (and why is it always referring to God or Jesus? Why not blaspheme against other religions?), scantily dressed people, progressively worsening morals? None of that is really necessary is it? TV was enjoyable for the masses 20-30 years ago without half of the above, so why do we need to become like this now???

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:09 am

mattwerk wrote:Steady on - I'm a Christian, I like hymns, yet I can't even stand Songs Of Praise... and of course not all TV should be 24/7 Songs of Praise! But I mean, is it really so necessary for shows to use foul language, blaspheme regularly even before the watershed (and why is it always referring to God or Jesus? Why not blaspheme against other religions?), scantily dressed people, progressively worsening morals? None of that is really necessary is it? TV was enjoyable for the masses 20-30 years ago without half of the above, so why do we need to become like this now???
I'm quite happy for shows after 9pm to have swear words. I mean what next, ban any violent shows ? Why should i not be able to shop on a sunday because of some crazy old 'law' which says sunday should be a day or worship kinda thing. Sorry dont mean to go down the dodgy route of a huge discussion about religion but how about all the people who arent religious ? I get told many times how i'm going to burn in hell as i dont go to church etc. Think how many people in the last 2000 years have been killed due to religious beliefs ? Are you going to convert to christianity ? No ? Okay kill him.

I agree its crazy that theres no jokes about muslims etc as theyre paranoid of their reaction but the powers that be dont seem to mind upsetting the christians.

I watched a ton of violent films back in the 80's, 90's, know all the swear words, never have been religious but i havent turned into a pot smoking, fathering 4 kids, tourettes sounding person. Even if the kids nowadays watched Tom and Jerry non stop instead of violent films they would still be just as bad.

And whats wrong with scantily clad people, i thought Adam and Eve were naked ?! You'll be telling me next how upset you are with the dodgy adverts in the back of retro gamer next !

What Brand/Ross did was ridiculous but at the time hardly anyone knew/heard about it, theres been a huge uproar as people seemed to have jumped on the bandwagon and suddenly have got offended (despite not even hearing it when it was broadcast). Just with all the news at the moment it was ridiculous to put this out as the first item. So over the top.

mattwerk

Post by mattwerk » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:43 am

psj3809 wrote:I get told many times how i'm going to burn in hell as i dont go to church etc. Think how many people in the last 2000 years have been killed due to religious beliefs ? Are you going to convert to christianity ? No ? Okay kill him.
Tough field... firstly no true Christian would force their beliefs on anyone (but most don't read their Bible correctly...). Also, anyone telling you you'd go to hell for not going to church is totally wrong - the only way to go to heaven is to accept Jesus as lord and saviour and that's all! Secondly Christianity has never instructed anyone to kill for whatever reason. "Love thy enemies". I know what history tells us but one must remember the difference between Christianity and the "Holy" Roman Empire that was in place and all those horrible things that happened were by their instruction, and they were certainly not Christians! But this is a detailed debate and we were all on about the TV, not this - besides I'm sure this topic isn't allowed on here so I'd say get in touch outside the forum if you fancy a debate.

To change this topic back though - when I remember Jonathan Ross being in the media as I watched the BBC as an expat in the 90s, I remember him not having all that much publicity and every other form of media referred to him pretty negatively. Now he seems to be everywhere and gets a fat salary for doing a show. What happened in the years I was away? How was he allowed to become popular??!!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:04 am

The problem I have is that this isn't the first time Brand has pulled this sort of trick. He got into hot water just a few months back by making a prank call to the emergency services in the name of comedy which was both tasteless and disruptive. However, he managed to talk his way out of that at the time, only for him to be doing something similarly offensive now. As such, he's had fair warning that this sort of thing isn't funny and he's only got himself to blame should he get the boot over it.

I've a little more sympathy with Ross, who might well have been unaware of that and got carried along by the moment, but for £6 million a year he really ought to do better.

mattwerk

Post by mattwerk » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:09 am

Matt_B wrote:He got into hot water just a few months back by making a prank call to the emergency services in the name of comedy which was both tasteless and disruptive.
Isn't it a criminal offence to waste the emergency services' time? Or was that just a proposal? Calling 999 for a laugh is just sick, what if someone was dying but had to hold the call because someone was busy playing a trick?

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:14 am

Just heard on the radio news headlines that both Ross and Brand have been suspended pending the official investigation into this furore. All their shows on both radio and tv have similarly been suspended.

**edit**: In fact, clicky here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7696714.stm

mattwerk

Post by mattwerk » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:21 am

Is this true though? I just saw Channel 4 advertise a show, I think it was on
tomorrow? A show with Russell Brand that is.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:23 am

mattwerk wrote:Is this true though? I just saw Channel 4 advertise a show, I think it was on
tomorrow? A show with Russell Brand that is.
BBC only. Channel 4 will do what it wants - always has done before!

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:23 am

Sorry, I meant "all their shows on the BBC channels" are being pulled.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:27 am

mattwerk wrote:
Matt_B wrote:He got into hot water just a few months back by making a prank call to the emergency services in the name of comedy which was both tasteless and disruptive.
Isn't it a criminal offence to waste the emergency services' time? Or was that just a proposal? Calling 999 for a laugh is just sick, what if someone was dying but had to hold the call because someone was busy playing a trick?
I believe it was a direct police station number rather than 999. Here's a link about the story here.

Whilst he appeared to get away with it back then, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the book thrown at him this time.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:33 am

Matt_B wrote:Whilst he appeared to get away with it back then, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the book thrown at him this time.
For what? Sach's isn't pressing charges (not least because getting any kind of conviction worth a damn would be pretty much impossible).

And in the unlikely event Ross gets fired from his BBC work, he'd end up on his feet anyway, due to being so bankable. That said, I'd miss Film.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:34 am

Hello? Yes....I'm ringing to enquire about the prices of your doovde?......
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!