J.Ross and R.Brand - Phone calls

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

J.Ross and R.Brand - Phone calls

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:02 am

I couldnt believe last night when the first news item on the 10 o clock news was this ridiculous story !

Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand acted like idiots with these prank phone calls, i'm no fan of Ross but i dont mind Russell Brand at all. But yeah what they did was stupid but the huge uproar over it is embarassing !

We're in the middle of the credit crunch, troops getting killed over in Iraq and other problems, and the lead story is this pile of rubbish ! So 10,000 people complained, i'm sure 100,000+ more didnt and werent that offended by it.

Cant believe all the news stories over this, worlds gone mad !

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:12 am

Yes, you have phonejacker and all those people making a living by annoying people on the phone, but because this was celebrities annoying other celebrities we should be grabbing our pitchforks and taking to the streets :?

There was a guy on radio 5 this morning from the Guardian saying how bad it was, but then also let out he found it funny!

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:15 am

Think there were 2 complaints originally about it, then the media needs a story which isn't the credit crunch or whatever ('cos that is now sooooo boring!) and now there are 10,000 complaints, people talk about these things like...this is the end...the end of entertainment!...needs a few more days and it will be forgotten I would think.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:18 am

Yeah thats what i thought, two grannies must have moaned about it and i'm sure theres a fair few who dont like Jonathan Ross so they blew it up big time.

I do laugh when Ofcom or whoever look into something when 58 people have complained about a tv show or something when the other 6.5 million dont give a monkeys.

Think i prefer the doom and gloom of the credit crunch stories than this story which belongs in the Sun.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:25 am

It pisses me off when you hear 'the grand daughter of Andrew Sacks has now hired publicist Max Clifford to handle her story'.

What that should read is 'the bird who was happy to sleep with Russell Brand after knowing him for a very short time has now hired the devil's own PR man to bleed the story dry and grab as much dirty money from the saga as inhumanly possible'.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:32 am

SirClive wrote:It pisses me off when you hear 'the grand daughter of Andrew Sacks has now hired publicist Max Clifford to handle her story'.

What that should read is 'the bird who was happy to sleep with Russell Brand after knowing him for a very short time has now hired the devil's own PR man to bleed the story dry and grab as much dirty money from the saga as inhumanly possible'.
Damn didnt know that ! Its like its the worst story ever, hiring Max Clifford for this ! What a joke ! Unbelievable

Coopdevil

Re: J.Ross and R.Brand - Phone calls

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:50 am

psj3809 wrote:I couldnt believe last night when the first news item on the 10 o clock news was this ridiculous story !
Annoyed me as well, I was at parents for dinner and commented that the Brand/Ross thing was first item on the news and the second, clearly felt to be less important than the lead, was that house repossessions are at a record high! Talk about a whacked-out sense of proportion, but thats typical of the BBC - it's such an ivory tower kind of organisation that anything that happens within meeja is somehow of vital important to the rest of the world. They later went on to repeat parrot-fashion a MicroSoft press release about "cloud" computing with their typical "everything MicroSoft does is great" attitude.

Anybody notice David "Dave" Cameron's soundbite piece on the Brand/Ross story? He was standing in some industrial estate with a conveyor belt behind his head carrying rubbish out into a skip - Have I Got News For You will have loads of fun with that clip, I'd have thought he'd be a bit more media-savvy about where he poses for his soundbites.

Coop

psj3809

Re: J.Ross and R.Brand - Phone calls

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:02 am

Coopdevil wrote:Annoyed me as well, I was at parents for dinner and commented that the Brand/Ross thing was first item on the news and the second, clearly felt to be less important than the lead, was that house repossessions are at a record high! Talk about a whacked-out sense of proportion, but thats typical of the BBC - it's such an ivory tower kind of organisation that anything that happens within meeja is somehow of vital important to the rest of the world. They later went on to repeat parrot-fashion a MicroSoft press release about "cloud" computing with their typical "everything MicroSoft does is great" attitude.
Well to be fair i was talking about ITV not BBC1. The way Gordon Brown and Cameron are getting involved is laughable.

It seems similar to years ago when the Sex Pistols swore on live tv and there was uproar all over the place. Just soooo OTT.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:29 am

TBH I think its more related to the fact that they are employed by the BBC, which is funded by the licencepayer. They are expected to uphold certain broadcasting standards as a result.
Its also worth noting that Andrew Sachs was a celebrity 30 years ago, he's been out of the public eye for many years now, so effectively what they did was made phone calls harrassing a very elderly man, telling him how he'd f**ked his grand daughter, then joking that the shock might kill him.

I agree that in the balance of things its getting a lot more attention than it deserves, and the vast majority of people complaining probably never listened to the show and are just bandwagon jumping, but I would disagree that there's no case to answer, if a smug, overpaid cretin like Ross or Brand did what they did to an elderly member of my family I would kick off about it too.

The fact that nuisance calls have become a fact of life and are featured in other programs, shouldn't serve as an excuse. Harrassing elderly people, talking about f**king members of their family, and laughing about how they might die, isn't entertainment. And definitely not something that should be funded by the licence fee.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:34 am

There are two very important points not being reported widely.

1 - They were supposed to interview him, which he skipped out on. It starts with Russell trying to interview his answer phone.

2 - Russell DID have a relationship with said Granddaughter. They didn't make it up.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:37 am

The license fee has zero to do with it. How they are payed is irrelevant. Yes they are arrogant fools who should be punished for it in some way for dragging british broadcasting further into the gutter, but it is the massive overreaction of the media that gets on my nerves. It is not because they feel it is bad, just that it will sell mroe papers/get more viewers.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:45 am

FatTrucker wrote:TBH I think its more related to the fact that they are employed by the BBC, which is funded by the licencepayer. They are expected to uphold certain broadcasting standards as a result.
Its also worth noting that Andrew Sachs was a celebrity 30 years ago, he's been out of the public eye for many years now, so effectively what they did was made phone calls harrassing a very elderly man, telling him how he'd f**ked his grand daughter, then joking that the shock might kill him.

I agree that in the balance of things its getting a lot more attention than it deserves, and the vast majority of people complaining probably never listened to the show and are just bandwagon jumping, but I would disagree that there's no case to answer, if a smug, overpaid cretin like Ross or Brand did what they did to an elderly member of my family I would kick off about it too.

The fact that nuisance calls have become a fact of life and are featured in other programs, shouldn't serve as an excuse. Harrassing elderly people, talking about f**king members of their family, and laughing about how they might die, isn't entertainment. And definitely not something that should be funded by the licence fee.
Dont get me wrong i'm not sticking up for what they did, if they phoned up an elderly relative of mine and started putting that crap on the answerphone you would be annoyed.

My point is that it was the lead story of the 10 o clock news which compared to the credit crunch, people dying in Iraq and other big stories, to have it first is a complete joke.

I like Ross and Brand but yeah this just wasnt funny. I completely went off Billy Connolly when he was doing jokes about Ken Bigley and a line about 'dont you just wish they would get it over with' about executing him which went down like a lead balloon. Still wouldnt expect that story to be the lead one (which it wasnt) on a major news program though.

Ross/Brand messed up big time but lead story ? Its a joke. Then i read something about they rang Sachs to see if they could use the story but Sachs kinda said yes but said later he could hardly hear them or something ??! So he kinda gave them confirmation they could use it ?

mattwerk

Post by mattwerk » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:03 am

I never watched these guys and never heard the calls but from what I see it was all about, it's pretty sick. The poor guy is 78, ever heard of respecting your elders! But since returning to Europe I've been horrified by how bad the TV and media has become. Other than the odd old shows I can't watch TV anymore, it is full of perversion, bad morals, anti-Christianity, disrespect and social bias - I'm not exactly a prude but I don't want to watch this crap! So those who agree, remove the TV tuner and weld your console's cable to the TV... :wink:

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:04 am

Worth noting too, that the soundbites from the 'average' person on the street was four grannies. Way to pick a cross section of the community, BBC! I thought that was more ITV standard reporting, to be honest.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:21 am

If they had done this on a local radio station they would have been sacked. Curiously there are two local radio presenters on an Essex radio who have done a similar phone prank and they have been sacked over it!