Handheld Heaven?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

quantum

Handheld Heaven?

Post by quantum » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:28 am

Hopefully there are some handheld experts that can help me with this one.

Basically I'm looking for a handheld console to play some amiga 500, snes, megadrive, pc engine retro games on. I'm happy to go with emulation or new releases and don't mind a bit of tinkering to config the machine.

So what are my options? DS, PSP or GP32?

:D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:43 am

DS doesn't have the power to do a few of those justice.

PSP can do most, though SNES emulation is patchy and Amiga emulation is a non-starter (Atari ST emulation is great if you'll accept those ports instead).

GP32 won't do much, but the GP2X is on a par with PSP for most stuff.

Pandora has just come out, or for something a little larger you could look at eePC palmtops.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:55 am

EEEpc is def the best for Amiga stuff. You can pick them up for about £150 now for the basic level and if you bung XP on it then you are set to go.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:06 am

Lorfarius wrote:EEEpc is def the best for Amiga stuff. You can pick them up for about £150 now for the basic level and if you bung XP on it then you are set to go.
Boyo's Eee PC is superb, WinUAE runs like a dream!

quantum

Post by quantum » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:26 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Pandora has just come out, or for something a little larger you could look at eePC palmtops.
The pandora looks interesting.

The eePC would be a handful with an external controller!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:26 am

PSP all the WAY!! It's the greatest hand held device I've ever owned (had a GP2X and it's a total joke compared to PSP, no offense) and it just incredible what this machine can do when it comes to emulation. OK you won't be getting Amiga emulation, but C64 is pretty much perfect (and I mean that when I say it). The Pandora is what you are looking for it you MUST have Amiga but also for the fact that PSP also is host to some really fine commerical games I would say get one.

It goes online, you can watch videos on it, online radio, messenger, store you MP3's and so much. Everything about the PSP is customisable and most importantly it feels great to play. The D-Pad is the best out there on any hand held at the minute, it will even do you for all your shmups and Streetfighter games. Long battery life too considering and the screen is really crisp and clear (huge too for a hand held).

To put things into perspective, I recently bought a Nintendo DS with CycloDS and a 8gb card and as much as I love it, it doesn't even get a bloody look in!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:32 am

Can the DS do MAME?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:11 am

Not very well

Best to get a GP2X

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:25 am

C=Style wrote:The D-Pad is the best out there on any hand held at the minute, it will even do you for all your shmups and Streetfighter games.
Er, isn't the PSP widely acknowledged to have a poor d-pad when it comes to fighting games? Iirc, the Japanese release of Streetfighter came accompanied with a d-pad attachment to help improve the controls and make it easier to execute certain special moves. I also seem to recall Retro Gamer commenting on how the game is adversely affected by the poor d-pad in the review several issues ago.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:27 am

Katzkatz wrote:Can the DS do MAME?
No, but you can emulate some early 80s games with MarcaDS. Generally speaking, the DS lacks the CPU power to emulate anything beyond the 8-bit era.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:59 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
C=Style wrote:The D-Pad is the best out there on any hand held at the minute, it will even do you for all your shmups and Streetfighter games.
Er, isn't the PSP widely acknowledged to have a poor d-pad when it comes to fighting games? Iirc, the Japanese release of Streetfighter came accompanied with a d-pad attachment to help improve the controls and make it easier to execute certain special moves. I also seem to recall Retro Gamer commenting on how the game is adversely affected by the poor d-pad in the review several issues ago.
Not in my opinion, certainly not on the PSP 2000 anyway. I really don't rate the D-pad on the Dual shock in any form but the PSP pad is a LOT looser and I find it really easy to hit diagonals. Believe me, I'm super fussy when it comes to controllers and the PSP 2000's D-pad does what you want it to do. The analogue nub on the other hand is God awful.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:59 am

Matt_B wrote:No, but you can emulate some early 80s games with MarcaDS. Generally speaking, the DS lacks the CPU power to emulate anything beyond the 8-bit era.
It's more down to the emulation scene being small and with few programmers that don't have much time. Neo DS shows what the DS is capable of, playing most Neo-Geo games at 90–100% speed, nicely scaled, etc. The Genesis emulator's also pretty good. FWIW, FrodoDS appears to have come back from the dead, too—a couple of new devs are creating builds for it that include scaling options and other stuff.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:14 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Matt_B wrote:No, but you can emulate some early 80s games with MarcaDS. Generally speaking, the DS lacks the CPU power to emulate anything beyond the 8-bit era.
It's more down to the emulation scene being small and with few programmers that don't have much time. Neo DS shows what the DS is capable of, playing most Neo-Geo games at 90–100% speed, nicely scaled, etc. The Genesis emulator's also pretty good. FWIW, FrodoDS appears to have come back from the dead, too—a couple of new devs are creating builds for it that include scaling options and other stuff.
Given that the PSP has around five times the CPU power (and the Pandora will have around ten times) I don't see how you can honestly say that the size of the homebrew scene the machine has is the main factor. Given that sort of disadvantage, it seems pretty obvious the DS is always going to be well towards the back of the pack when it comes to emulation.

Yes, people have got some decent 16-bit emulators up and running on it, but only by putting in a ton of optimization work that isn't necessary on machines that have much more grunt. By the same token, I'm sure that it would be possible to get decent Amiga emulation on the PSP - UAE runs on PalmOS and Windows Mobile devices that aren't much faster after all - but whether it's worth the effort of anyone doing so with much faster handhelds on the horizon is another matter.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:18 pm

Its not been mentioned that there are several commercial 'Best of' PC Engine collections for the PSP by Hudson, and updates of PC Engine games (And also arcade ports of games that were on the PC Engine - Gradius, Parodius, Salamander etc)

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9f- ... -2uew.html

The 'soldier' collection for example is a good one, though its a pity star parodier is on there instead of Gunhed. Theres also a collection with the mythical Sapphire on it, IIRC the only other platform its had a commercial release on (Good seeing as the game goes for £300 on the PCE).

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:31 pm

I really loved using my GP2X for many many months. There wasnt any decent Amiga emulation but i loved the Atari ST emulator. I had an Amiga back in the day but i'm quite happy playing ST on the GP2X.

For me the big winner on the GP2X is MAME. Runs superbly and a ton of games work superbly.

The PSP is very good but i just hate the way Sony try to stop everyone playing homebrew by constant updates to the firmware if you run certain games.

I prefer to support the GP2X which embraces homebrew emulators/games rather than the PSP which seems to try and stop it. Not normally into the whole 'david and goliath' type thing but i much prefer supporting the GP2X in this case.

The pandora could be superb but i would wait to hear reviews when people receive theirs and play emulators etc. On paper it looks the ideal gadget but we'll see.