I bought a Eee PC

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
boyo
Posts: 2227
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:35 pm
Contact:

I bought a Eee PC

Post by boyo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:09 am

Ordered a Eee PC 900 with XP on board from Amazon on Wednesday this week.

It has a 12GB static disk which I intend to load full of emulators and games. Just waiting for it to arrive now :D

Cost £199.
Last edited by boyo on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chewy
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:33 am
Location: Aylesbury/Birmingham

Re: I bought a Eee PC

Post by chewy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:11 am

boyo wrote:Ordered a Eee PC 900 with XP on board from Amazon on Wednesday this week.

It has a 12GB static disk which I intend to load full of emulaors and games. Just waiting for it to arrive now :D
Are these things any good? I'd like a little PC to browse t'internet on...

User avatar
boyo
Posts: 2227
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:35 pm
Contact:

Post by boyo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:52 am

It just arrived!!!

User avatar
Lorfarius
Posts: 3599
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:06 pm
Location: Glossop - North West
Contact:

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:55 am

Well thats you gone for a couple of days :wink:
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

User avatar
Vir_Lucis
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:48 am

Post by Vir_Lucis » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:16 am

At that price i have to wonder...

What benefit would there be in buying a Pandora for the same amount? Seeing as how an Eee PC could run every emulator that is out there right?

Would this be the better route to go for hand-held emulation?
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5286
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:33 am

Vir_Lucis wrote:At that price i have to wonder...

What benefit would there be in buying a Pandora for the same amount? Seeing as how an Eee PC could run every emulator that is out there right?

Would this be the better route to go for hand-held emulation?
The Pandora is less than half the size and will fit in your pocket. If you can't see the point in that, then you would indeed be much better off with an Eee PC.

User avatar
Vir_Lucis
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:48 am

Post by Vir_Lucis » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:30 am

Okay cool, i didn't realise it was that much smaller actually.

But still...for me then i think i will be going the Eee PC route - but give it another year or so and they will be a bit more compact and that bit more powerful :D

Looking forward to hearing thoughts from people who have them and are using them for emulation...
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5286
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Post by Matt_B » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:24 am

Vir_Lucis wrote:Okay cool, i didn't realise it was that much smaller actually.

But still...for me then i think i will be going the Eee PC route - but give it another year or so and they will be a bit more compact and that bit more powerful :D

Looking forward to hearing thoughts from people who have them and are using them for emulation...
I've only run a Spectrum emulator (Fuse) on it but it works just fine. You ought to be able to run just about any Linux/Windows emulator that's not too demanding on them though. The main thing you might have to watch out for is that the screen is only 480 pixels high which means that most apps will fill about half your screen with taskbars. Later models have gone for a 1024x600 screen which should work better.

Although it's already possible to make computers a lot smaller (take a look at the OQO for instance) the limiting factor is the keyboard. The Eee PC is already at about the bottom limit of what's a useful size for touch typing, and that's really what separates out a home computer from a console, mobile phone or PDA these days.

On the other hand, if you're one of those lucky people sufficiently dexterous to be able to type on an HTC Touch Pro, it's only a matter of time before we get a fully featured PC of that size.

User avatar
miner2049er
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Leigh, (Lancashire) UK
Contact:

Post by miner2049er » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:01 am

HTC hardware is great.

I'm on my second HTC phone, (TYTN2) and it's superb.

I am selling one of these if anyone is interested before I ebay it.

It will work as a fully functioning Sat Nav device too with a Bluetooth GPS receiver that I am also selling. It is not the best phone but the PDA functions and the ability to use it for Sat Nav are great.

BTW, the OQO is suppose to be great to use and the ability to dock it makes it a winner.
http://www.jamesonline.net
Now I just need an amusing tag line.

User avatar
miner2049er
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Leigh, (Lancashire) UK
Contact:

Post by miner2049er » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:10 am

At work we have a coupole of EEEPCs and I don't like them.

We have another ASUS one which is similar but the screen rotates and folds down to make it a tablet PC.

That too is not very good. The battery life on both of them is quite poor. They are too big to be truly portable and too small to be ujsed for anything other than a quick search and email.

I am using a Dell D410 which is a small laptop that isn't mjuch bigger than an EEEPC but is so much more useful. has a full sized keyboard, 1024x768 resolution and good battery life.

Being a Dell, the hard drive easily slides out and I have a couple set up with different Operating Systems, one packed with emulators. One is triple booted with Leopard, Vista and Ubuntu.

The EEEPC imo misses both the portable and the laptop markets.
http://www.jamesonline.net
Now I just need an amusing tag line.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5286
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Post by Matt_B » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:56 am

miner2049er wrote:At work we have a coupole of EEEPCs and I don't like them.

We have another ASUS one which is similar but the screen rotates and folds down to make it a tablet PC.

That too is not very good. The battery life on both of them is quite poor. They are too big to be truly portable and too small to be ujsed for anything other than a quick search and email.

I am using a Dell D410 which is a small laptop that isn't mjuch bigger than an EEEPC but is so much more useful. has a full sized keyboard, 1024x768 resolution and good battery life.

Being a Dell, the hard drive easily slides out and I have a couple set up with different Operating Systems, one packed with emulators. One is triple booted with Leopard, Vista and Ubuntu.

The EEEPC imo misses both the portable and the laptop markets.
Comparing them with the D410 isn't exactly fair; it's about twice as heavy and was originally about six times the price too, although it can now be picked up quite cheaply as it's getting on a bit.

Also, which Eee PCs have you tried? The early ones are indeed quite slow and the battery life isn't great. However, Asus did a great job of fixing nearly all the gripes with the more recent 1000 model which has a bigger screen, a much better keyboard, a faster CPU and a battery life of up to 7 hours.

User avatar
miner2049er
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Leigh, (Lancashire) UK
Contact:

Post by miner2049er » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:04 am

Matt_B wrote:Comparing them with the D410 isn't exactly fair; it's about twice as heavy and was originally about six times the price too, although it can now be picked up quite cheaply as it's getting on a bit.
Yeah, it helps that I got two of them free along with an X300.
Matt_B wrote:Also, which Eee PCs have you tried? The early ones are indeed quite slow and the battery life isn't great. However, Asus did a great job of fixing nearly all the gripes with the more recent 1000 model which has a bigger screen, a much better keyboard, a faster CPU and a battery life of up to 7 hours.
The EEEPC was an early one with the speakers at the side of the screen which was one of the major gripes we had.

TBH though, if I was buying something like that, I would still go with a small form factor laptop rather than a webtop or whatever they are known as because of all the extras that go with it. Particularly standard parts, screen size and resolution, full choice of Operating Systems.

I just don't get the market for them I guess.
http://www.jamesonline.net
Now I just need an amusing tag line.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5286
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Post by Matt_B » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:31 pm

miner2049er wrote:The EEEPC was an early one with the speakers at the side of the screen which was one of the major gripes we had.

TBH though, if I was buying something like that, I would still go with a small form factor laptop rather than a webtop or whatever they are known as because of all the extras that go with it. Particularly standard parts, screen size and resolution, full choice of Operating Systems.

I just don't get the market for them I guess.
They're cheap and do everything that 90% of home users want; that's their market. :wink:

User avatar
miner2049er
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Leigh, (Lancashire) UK
Contact:

Post by miner2049er » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:27 am

Matt_B wrote:They're cheap and do everything that 90% of home users want; that's their market. :wink:
I bet 90% of home users never leave home with their laptop though.

I don't think that is the market.

I think it's more aimed at business travellers currently using PDAs or Palms, maybe even journalists looking to upload photos on the move. Both of whom would be better served with a small laptop.
http://www.jamesonline.net
Now I just need an amusing tag line.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5286
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Post by Matt_B » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:50 am

miner2049er wrote:I bet 90% of home users never leave home with their laptop though.
I agree. That's largely because most home laptops are too bulky and fragile to be used comfortably on the move. I certainly wouldn't take mine anywhere where there's not going to be a desk and a power supply at the other end.

The Eee PC is at least a bit more portable than that, although certainly not in the same league as a PDA.
I don't think that is the market.

I think it's more aimed at business travellers currently using PDAs or Palms, maybe even journalists looking to upload photos on the move. Both of whom would be better served with a small laptop.
Really? :shock:

Whatever gave you that idea? There's certainly nothing on their website that gives that impression and their tag line is "Easy to learn, work and play". I've always seen it as an upmarket version of the OLPC that's sufficiently more powerful and stylish for adults to want to use it too. In that context it might make a bit more sense.

Certainly, if they were aiming at the business market they've missed it by a million miles. However, that's not stopped them from selling like the proverbial hot cakes to the home market.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests