New Sega Console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

IronMaidenRule

New Sega Console?

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:00 am

Just read this article, and thought I would share:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/03/sega_vision/

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:06 am

Yeah right, even the most optimistic ukresistance reader will struggle with those mock ups.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:46 am

I to herd about this and am slightly confused.
Its already to be won in London ?
Has anybody won one ?
How dose one win one ?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:46 pm

Would be incredible news if it were true, but I think we all know different.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:49 pm

It would be the gaming history of the decade, even of all time if Sega made a comeback on the hardware side. Most recent articles I read regarding Sega always mentions about the losses they have made, departments they are losing on its own or to other software houses who buy them off.
The problem is there will always be rumours going about on the internet by Sega fanboys or jokers about new projects planned. Like Shenmue 3, when most creditable gaming websites took up the story that Edge had some info on this when they featured a coverscan of Ryo's diary on their "next issue" page. It turned out that it was a Photoshop edit by a well known internet user. Too good to be true is a saying that will still remain among Sega faithfuls unfortunately.

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:11 pm

Even if it was true, it wouldn't be much of a console would it. Java games? Multiple functions? Does not sound like a success to me.

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:20 pm

StarEye wrote:Even if it was true, it wouldn't be much of a console would it. Java games? Multiple functions? Does not sound like a success to me.
It's another N-Gage isn't it...!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:27 pm

StarEye wrote:Even if it was true, it wouldn't be much of a console would it. Java games? Multiple functions? Does not sound like a success to me.
Much as I'd donate an internal organ to have another Sega machine, I don't think the Vision (if it's even true) offers anything unique or even better than existing machines. It looks crap (to my eyes) and does'nt actually do anything that my 3 phone can't do.

It's all bollocks IMO.
Thoughts and prayers.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:54 am

Exactly. It appears to be just another cheapie personal media player. Nothing amazing, that's for sure. Anyone who wants something like this can jump on ebay and buy one of the many different kinds already out there.

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:45 am

Without even reading the article, the words "sega" and "console" do not fill me full of anticipation.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:51 am

Love everything Sega but don't see the point really - what could it possibly offer that the Xbox, PS3, Wii doesn't?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:30 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Love everything Sega but don't see the point really - what could it possibly offer that the Xbox, PS3, Wii doesn't?
Well, it's a portable so it's up against the DS (woefully underpowered) and the PSP (terrible ergonomics) so with a suitable CPU and an ability to load games in seconds rather than minutes it could be in with a fighting chance.

That said; Java games? Ugh! Unless developers can get close to the hardware, it'll probably be more like the worst of both worlds rather than the best. I can't see the selling point of having a TV tuner in this day and age either; I'd sooner have wireless internet and the ability to play YouTube videos.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:44 am

Matt_B wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:Love everything Sega but don't see the point really - what could it possibly offer that the Xbox, PS3, Wii doesn't?
Well, it's a portable so it's up against the DS (woefully underpowered) and the PSP (terrible ergonomics) ......
Prob should have viewed the link first before spouting...... :roll:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:40 pm

It would be useless having a TV tuner that can only receive channels on analogue. With Europe already switching off analogue transmitters to make way for Digital and the UK to start doing this early next year, the TV tuner will be a big waste of space. A laughable idea to include this if said handheld were released.