From the forum question for issue 26

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed May 24, 2006 3:37 am

I do find some of the best MAME games to be from 1982-1992 and most of my all time favourites are from that era

RS200

Post by RS200 » Wed May 24, 2006 6:11 am

I think people are right when they say that every era has it's merits - however it is how we remember them is what counts. For me my favourite era has to be from '86 to '94 .. I worked in a computer shop at this time and found my enthusiasm was at it's greatest. I breathed, ate and slept games during this time and nothing else mattered.

I really liked the 8-bit time though, I liked the innocence of the industry where anything seemed possible - a lone bedroom coder could make a top-selling game ... that kinda thing could never happen now ... these days teams of 100 or more people with development budgets of millions make games ... all watched over by the finance hawks .. Today the industry is a business not a hobby.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Wed May 24, 2006 9:06 am

I was around for the middle of the 8-bit era, & while I enjoyed it, there was always something missing. Decent endings would be one thing I could mention, as could poor quality arcade conversions (that always looked & played better on 16-bit machines)

When the 16-bit era hit its peak with the SNES/Megadrive/Amiga things really took off. There was always a decent game around the corner. Sure, there were some real stinkers out there but that's the case with every video game era. Platformers, fighters, shooters, nothing was off limits for 16-bit machines.

It just pales in comparison to todays games where "shock value" & plagiarism is the order of the day with playability not being much of an issue. I don't think it would be unfair to day it all started to go downhill with the event of the 32-bit era.

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Wed May 24, 2006 4:27 pm

8-bit for me.

It was the era I was born into, and hence my first contact with this rediculously time consuming persuit. Thankfully my dad and uncle were huge gamers before I made my way into the world back in the early 80's, and in our family the C64 was kind. Hence my earliest memory of life is watching my dad play Football Manager!

Sadly, both my dad and uncle rarely game these days. As for me, well, I do more than enough for the three of us...

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Wed May 24, 2006 5:11 pm

I loved to 8-bit era. I started with a 48k Spectrum, then moved on to a +2 and a C64. There were some games in this era that I loved (Ghostbusters, Creatures, Manic Miner, Dizzy) and that I can still play to this day...

BUT...

Then I got an Amiga. It almost blew my poor young mind. Lemmings and The Secret of Monkey Island were the first two games that had ever taken over my life completely. It was the 16-bit era that made me what I am today (a socially inadequate shut-in)! God bless the 16-bit era! :D

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed May 24, 2006 9:26 pm

'84-'88 -the golden years of the Speccy and C64
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu May 25, 2006 5:28 pm

Still miss the awe and wonder of going into a games shop or Whsmiths and having shelves upon shelves of games to choose from between 83-87, and the sheer scale of the Computer shows of the time, pure Heaven for a Gamer :-)
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Fri May 26, 2006 3:17 pm

I'm torn between 8-bit and PC. Could have been all my childhood as far back as I can remember right untill I was 21, say 79 to 94 (met my wife at 21 and thought I better get out a bit for some fresh air for a few years).

There was always somekind of computer gadget in the house to play with as my Dad was a nuclear engineer and my brother was studieing computer science. Then came the games systems. I can remember 1st playing space invaders from telegames on the Atari 2600 back in 1980, and then Star Raiders on the Atari 400. Then spent 10 years on the Atari 800xl/520ST, from there I went straight to PC in 89. My 1st PC was an 8086 with green screen monitor (really my brothers), then moved to a 286 with a wopping 256 colour vga monitor, 386, 486 and so on. The games gradualy got better for PC and there are what I would consider quite a few classics (starglider 2, TFX, XWING, Sam n Max, Eye of the Beholder etc..) but I still went back to the 8-bit and sometimes the 16 bit ST.

Wow, just realised, I think I am in my second childhood. Through retro gamer/ing and emulation, I get to play nearly any game from nearly any system, from any era. Yep, now is my favourate era.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri May 26, 2006 5:39 pm

Any era has its high and low points. Gaming is like an art form. Theres different gaming periods defined by graphics, playability and the emotions the player felt as the games were played.

Every era has had its graphical triumphs and blocky let downs. Every era has also had its great games and seriously bad games.

I think that most people including me will go for the first game era they lived through as you can never quite capture the magic of your first gaming era and for thats classic 8-bit.

I missed very early 8-bit but the C64, Speccy, Amstrad 464 and Beeb B were my parents during my senior school torture. Those machines and the software on them made life worth living and for that I will always be in debt to Acorn, Commodore, Sinclair and Alan Sugar(Amstrad cpc464).
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Sun May 28, 2006 1:44 pm

the 8 bit computer eras my fave era mainly cos i had one......errm
82 - 90 purely for the speccy, was my first, the one i look back on fondly, the one i used the most, it had the most games, was easy to program, user friendly, the small, black, sleek look, and the smell mmmmmmmm i can smell the rubber now :)
it was also a game copiers dream, just any 2 tape decks was all that was needed :P
errrrrrrm
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Mon May 29, 2006 8:04 am

I think for me it would be a bit of both.

I enjoyed the excitement of going into town on a Saturday morning with my £3 pocket money and taking a pick of the budget games for my CPC464.

I also enjoyed the 16-bit scene, getting the latest mega demos on the ST & Amiga and anticipating the latest nearly perfect arcade conversion.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Bleugh

Post by Bleugh » Mon May 29, 2006 3:50 pm

The 8 bit 'era' was the best for me, fond memories of my mum typing in magazine listings for games on the family C64. we couldn't afford the 16 bitters until they were becoming a dying breed, but i've got fond memories of playing demo discs (entropia anyone??) on my A500

slightly delayed

Post by slightly delayed » Mon May 29, 2006 5:43 pm

has the be the later half of the 8 bit era hundreds of games available every where most at £3.99 , and a lot of them were ace and it did'nt matteras much if you bought a duff one it was'nt a huge amount wasted plus the local librarys used to loan games out, i miss my stacks of c90's

(piracy is theft don't do it kids)

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:52 am

I think for me it has to be 8 bit gaming 89-92 when I was using a C64. Programmers were still producing great games Creatures 2, Exile, Turrican 2 etc plus you pick up a huge variety of budget re-releases such as Rainbow islands, Rick Dangerous or new releases such as CJ, Turbo the tortoise for a meagre £3.

Also back in the days of 8-bit computing the developers couldn't dazzle you with 100% life-like graphics or a milllion colours on screen at once they had to use gameplay to suck you in. Also the High Score Boards at the end of games meant something and even though you couldn't save, it kept you coming back.

Another advantage of the 8-bit era was you could do your homework while a game loaded (OK not all of it but some) and so avoid the parents wrath.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:45 am

For me it would have to be the early 8bit era, because that’s where it all started!

The arcade games of this era were new, with things never seen before being brought into existence, Space Invaders, Packman and all… When these were new they were really new!!!

When I got my first computer, a VIC-20, it was all shiny and mysterious and you could play real computer games in your own house! No need to wait until a family day out took you, by chance, near a video arcade.
Later I learned the black art of BASIC programming and never looked back.