Most Overrated Arcade Classic?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gizmo1990

Post by gizmo1990 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:54 pm

Zagrebo wrote:Bionic Commando is also a bit poo - I just find it lacks an element of skill and seems designed to make sure you get killed fairly regularly and have to keep putting coins in. Preferred the Speccy version.
Blasphemy! Lacks skill? Maybe you were just no good at it!? :P

Not a actual game from me but a 'classic' genre. All bullet hell games, can't stand them.

plumduff

Post by plumduff » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:02 pm

TheDude18 wrote:*gulps*

Defender

It's just too hard!
Agree, each time I've tried to play it just seems broken. You just want to fly fast have some fun and shoot some, but you get wasted almost straight away.

Never really been into asteroids either...

Zagrebo

Post by Zagrebo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:06 pm

TheDude18 wrote:*gulps*

Defender

It's just too hard!
Tsk. You gaming wuss. :wink:
http://mattyongames.wordpress.com/

Indie gaming and retrogaming blog by me

Zagrebo

Post by Zagrebo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:07 pm

gizmo1990 wrote:
Zagrebo wrote:Bionic Commando is also a bit poo - I just find it lacks an element of skill and seems designed to make sure you get killed fairly regularly and have to keep putting coins in. Preferred the Speccy version.
Blasphemy! Lacks skill? Maybe you were just no good at it!? :P

Not a actual game from me but a 'classic' genre. All bullet hell games, can't stand them.
I know it's a controversial opinion and that BC has its fans but I just find it an annoying game to play. It's not terrible or owt but there's so much better stuff out there - its prequel "Commando" in particular.
http://mattyongames.wordpress.com/

Indie gaming and retrogaming blog by me

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:48 pm

Street Fighter 2

Never got the buzz in the arcade and thought the home conversions were boring.

I also think Space harrier and Afterburner are very over rated.

Now when is someone going to get GTI Club running on a pc via Mame??

That was a good little game.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:49 pm

Another Street Fighter 2 vote here.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:21 pm

Hang on SirClive, you can't understand people voting for Frogger or Outrun, then vote for SFii, THE WORLD HAS INDEED GONE MAD!
I would vote for House of the Dead games, eater of £1 coins!

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:29 pm

Pacman. I just never understood the appeal. I can understand its importance, as it's probably the symbol of videogames as we know it - but I was never a big fan of the game, it was just so incredibly boring. Don't know what other games were out at the time, but I was more of a Frogger, Loderunner and Jumpman. These are all some of my first experiences as a gamer.

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:21 am

I honestly am very surprised by most of these answers. I understand opinion and all but Pac-Man, Frogger, Q-Bert, Tempest and Scramble??! Robotron?! Space Invaders?! :shock: What's next Donkey Kong or Galaga?

If I was tied down and forced to choose a classic game that was overrated. I'd be forced to choose perhaps Mappy or Tower of Druga? Only because there always on the compilations but I think there would be better choices.

I'm waiting for someone to say Asteroids to send me into apoplexy! :)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:16 am

sscott wrote:Hang on SirClive, you can't understand people voting for Frogger or Outrun, then vote for SFii
Correct, why is that strange? I can play Outrun on 1 credit and get some fun out of it for 5 minutes. SF2 I play, get pissed of because I can't understand the controls, get battered by either the computer or another person and walk away wishing I had saved my cash.

Frogger is being played in the retroleague this week and I am having a lot of fun with it.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:39 am

Matt_B wrote:Dragon's Lair - Quite a nifty technical achievement, and some good animation in parts too, but completely lacking when it comes to gameplay.
How many people praise Dragon's Lair as a game though? Everybody says the same things you just did - so how can it be overrated?

Tabe

Devious

Post by Devious » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:51 am

CrookedMouth wrote:I honestly am very surprised by most of these answers. I understand opinion and all but Pac-Man, Frogger, Q-Bert, Tempest and Scramble??! Robotron?! Space Invaders?! :shock: What's next Donkey Kong or Galaga?

If I was tied down and forced to choose a classic game that was overrated. I'd be forced to choose perhaps Mappy or Tower of Druga? Only because there always on the compilations but I think there would be better choices.

I'm waiting for someone to say Asteroids to send me into apoplexy! :)
I liked every game mentioned so far except Tower of Druga because I don't know anything about it, never heard of it as an arcade game.

I'm really aghast at their negative regard of so many great games. :shock:

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:48 am

Tabe wrote:
Matt_B wrote:Dragon's Lair - Quite a nifty technical achievement, and some good animation in parts too, but completely lacking when it comes to gameplay.
How many people praise Dragon's Lair as a game though? Everybody says the same things you just did - so how can it be overrated?

Tabe
I suppose it's not so much overrated as wrongly categorized. It's not a game, more a weakly interactive movie.

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:56 am

I have to admit I enjoy Dragon's Lair on DVD! Having a fairly rubbish memory I can never remember all the moves so I come back to it every six months or so and a lot of it seems quite fresh to me. Having infinite lives improves it though as does not having to keep pumping credits in.

My overrated games - all the scrolling beat 'em ups. Double Dragon, Golden Axe etc. Never seen that they had any real skill involved in them, just a wish fulfilment for 12 year old boys that want to pretend they are hard as nails and capable of beating people up! Blatant "pour more coins in to see the end" things as well.

Coop

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:58 am

Coopdevil wrote:My overrated games - all the scrolling beat 'em ups. Double Dragon, Golden Axe etc. Never seen that they had any real skill involved in them, just a wish fulfilment for 12 year old boys that want to pretend they are hard as nails and capable of beating people up! Blatant "pour more coins in to see the end" things as well.

Coop
I would agree and disagree there. You are spot on with the 12 yeard old wish fulfillment, but both games can be finished quite easily on very few credits (virtually everyone can complete DD in one credit surely, if the use the elbow technique).