What films/TV shows have you watched this week??

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Bub&Bob

What films/TV shows have you watched this week??

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:12 am

I find the "The What games/consoles have you bought this week" thread quite useful for game recommendations and ideas, so perhaps a similar one for films / TV may work.

Anyhoo,

I watched Blue Collar last night - Love it. Very gritty but quite funny too. Richard Prior is really good in this, didn't realise he was such a good actor outside of the comedy roles.

Highlight of the film for me is where Prior, Keitel and Kotto are at the late night party. Seeing Yaphet Kotto humping the women whilst moving across the floor always cracks me up!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:20 am

Saw Tropic Thunder at the cinema, very average (just not enough jokes) and a really weird turn from Tom Cruise.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:23 am

Watched the finale to season 2 of Dexter last night - creeeepy Lila, LOL

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:04 pm

Being off work for a few days last week I watched

The Oblongs
Rich Hall's Fishing Show
Clive James in Las Vegas
An episode of The Great Egg Race
The Forbidden Kingdom, which I thought was ace.
Splink!

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:07 pm

I watched JJ Abrams Fringe episode 1 and 2..

boyo

Post by boyo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:19 pm

Been watching Rocky 1-3 on Sky 1 over the last 3 weeks.

Rocky 4 on tonight...... Love 1-4 and 6.

Rocky 5 is poo.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:26 pm

I have been watching series 1 of Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles and am downloading whats available for season 2 in the meantime. Am enjoying it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:49 pm

I am too much of a skeptic fo these type of programmes. I alway assume they are set up.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:52 pm

felgekarp wrote:Being off work for a few days last week I watched

The Oblongs
Rich Hall's Fishing Show
Clive James in Las Vegas
An episode of The Great Egg Race
The Forbidden Kingdom, which I thought was ace.
The G.E.R.? Not seen that in years! So much better than Scrapheap Challenge which I guess is its successor
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:18 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:I watched JJ Abrams Fringe episode 1 and 2..
Is that any good ? Downloaded the first one but havent got round to watching it yet.

I'm still enjoying 'to catch a predator' on FX , love it when they catch those dodgy kiddie fiddlers.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:23 pm

Fringe is ok. Its decent enough sci-fi hokum, but the mad prof bit can be overdone. I assume that as with all new shows these things will settle once the actors get into the swing of it and we get to know them. Watched the first two so far.

What I did really enjoy last night was the first episode of True Blood. A slight change from the usual take on vampires. Been done before to some extent, but this isn't something you should watch with the kids. Best new show I've seen so far, here's hoping its not cancelled.

Worst new show - Sons of Anarchy. Gave up 3/4 of the way through episode 1, as what should be a hard nosed show about a biker gang is in fact more akin to The O.C. Dreadful middle of the road soap, liek all the worst bits of Jericho with none of the good stuff. Disppointing given the cast.

Oh, and season 4 of Bones, season 5 of House and season 2 of Secret Diary of a Call Girl have also seen the first episodes viewed this week.
Last edited by Antiriad2097 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:25 pm

Hmmm tempted to have a look at True Blood. Has the word 'comedy' in there though when i looked it up at imdb. Not keen on comedies much, looking for another '24' or 'Prison Break' kinda of show.

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:28 pm

I watched Be Kind Rewind.

I was really looking forward to it until I read the reviews.

Overall the film was OK. As always Michel Gondry has some clever ideas in there but nothing that impressive.
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:31 pm

psj3809 wrote:Hmmm tempted to have a look at True Blood. Has the word 'comedy' in there though when i looked it up at imdb. Not keen on comedies much, looking for another '24' or 'Prison Break' kinda of show.
If there's any comedy to be had, its of the darkest kind. Plenty of sex, violence and bad language, possibly the darkest show I've seen from the US for a while. It could be a big one this if its handled right.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:36 pm

I watched Zombie Strippers - Jenna Jameson's first attempt at being the star of a mainstream movie. Overall it was pretty poor. The budget and standard of acting was even lower than a lot of her "special interest" films. Worth watching if you're into zombies though, if only for the chance to see Jenna bite off and eat a bloke's you-know-what :shock:

Other than that I'm getting into season 3 of The Wire on DVD. I love this show, each episode makes me want to watch the next one straight away.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com