What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:41 am

Well finally got my Jap PS2 set up and have been playing some lovely imports (can't wait for thunderforce 6).

DoDonpachi Dai Ou Jou - Great continuation of the series, the amount of bullets the game fires at you is stunning (and that's just on level 1). I've been playing it on the normal difficulty and it's completely sadistic but that's how I like em', managed a 126 chain on my second go.

Sega Ages: Treasure box - I bought this to play Alien Soldier really but the whole package is brilliant. The ability to change the settings on all games to overseas and have english dialogue is a very welcome feature.

Espgaluda - Out of these three games I thought Dodonpachi would be the game I liked the most as I really love the series but Espgaluda is the game I've found myself becoming addicted to. It's very pretty, challenging but not ridiculous, has a cool power up/scoring system, and is a load of fun. It's criminal that a shooter like Psyvariar got a UK release and this gem will probably come out here.
Last edited by gmintyfresh on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:43 am

After watching the bring back star wars show the other night im right back into star wars.

So, going through Lego Star Wars on PS3 again!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:32 am

Burnout Paradise with bikes :)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:45 am

I'm playing PURE on Xbox 360 at the minute and it's really really good. It's by Blackrock, the same guys who did SSX, Freakstyle and Shox and it's basically an ATV version of Motorstorm with tricks mixed in. The graphics are gorgeous and it's so addictive. It's not out just yet which means hardly anyone has played it so I'm second in the world on loads of scoreboards haha :) I thoroughly recommend it.

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:13 am

Opa-Opa wrote:Burnout Paradise with bikes :)
Fantastic fun but the burning rides are not hard enough, beat all the ones ive tried first time by at least 10 seconds and usually more!...have only a few to go and only played 2 hours. Maybe the challenge to get them all in less than 80 minutes will be tough tho??

Waiting til my mates get in from work to get the challenges on the go.

Agree with Mootown too...tho only played the demo. Pure is great fun and its only 30 quid from Play so i've preordered it to keep me busy til Fallout 3

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:39 am

Currently playing Sim City on PC and forgot how bloody addictive it really is.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:47 am

woody.cool wrote:Currently playing Sim City on PC and forgot how bloody addictive it really is.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:03 pm

Loftgroover wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:Burnout Paradise with bikes :)
Fantastic fun but the burning rides are not hard enough, beat all the ones ive tried first time by at least 10 seconds and usually more!...have only a few to go and only played 2 hours. Maybe the challenge to get them all in less than 80 minutes will be tough tho??

Waiting til my mates get in from work to get the challenges on the go.
I've got 50% of the learner licence and done most of the time things on each road (day and night) need some people to help me with the online challenges tho.. For free I think it's fantastic..

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:52 pm

EUO
A nice online RPG with that 8bit Ulitma thing goin for it

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:17 pm

I've been playing soulcaliber all week and must admit its not as bad as I first though. Lots of character balancing problems, don't like the tower of lost souls and anyone playing kilik should be flogged for their sins. It is fun though, usually play as Seigfried but have been using new character Amy too.

On to infinite undiscovery tonight, can't wait :)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:22 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:Well finally got my Jap PS2 set up and have been playing some lovely imports (can't wait for thunderforce 6).

DoDonpachi Dai Ou Jou - Great continuation of the series, the amount of bullets the game fires at you is stunning (and that's just on level 1). I've been playing it on the normal difficulty and it's completely sadistic but that's how I like em', managed a 126 chain on my second go.

Sega Ages: Treasure box - I bought this to play Alien Soldier really but the whole package is brilliant. The ability to change the settings on all games to overseas and have english dialogue is a very welcome feature.

Espgaluda - Out of these three games I thought Dodonpachi would be the game I liked the most as I really love the series but Espgaluda is the game I've found myself becoming addicted to. It's very pretty, challenging but not ridiculous, has a cool power up/scoring system, and is a load of fun. It's criminal that a shooter like Psyvariar got a UK release and this gem will probably come out here.

Nice one mate, congrats.

Stunning shmups aint they? The first level of DoDonPachi DOJ sends shivers down my spine when I crank it up on the home theater. Don't forget Ibara next!

As for me,. been playing mainly GRID, and it's getting better the more I play it! Take it for what it is, an arcade racer with interesting single player features then you are bound to have fun. If you go into it thinking of it as a sim then you're gonna end up being disappointed. I'm having a lot of fun with it, and as an added bonus it looks pretty incredible too.
Last edited by C=Style on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:26 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:I've been playing soulcaliber all week and must admit its not as bad as I first though. Lots of character balancing problems, don't like the tower of lost souls and anyone playing kilik should be flogged for their sins. It is fun though, usually play as Seigfried but have been using new character Amy too.

On to infinite undiscovery tonight, can't wait :)
Agreed!

Which are you playing, the 360 or PS3 version??

The Tower of Lost Souls gets really harsh later on, and fighting the CPU just becomes a chore when your only chance of winning is a ring out. Taki and Ivy CPU are just EVIL.

Do like some of the new characters though.

I don't see or understand what your problem with Kilik users/players is. What bothers you about him>
Kilik happens to be one of my main SC characters along with Taki, Ivy and Mitsurugi. And there are certainll much cheaper and unfair characters.

Some of the moves that you "should" be able to avoid while on the floor (by rolling left or right) have insane priority, especially a lot of Siegfried's moves.

The Apprentice is a lot of fun, and Yoda is just plain annoying and simply out of place in this game.

What is your grievance with Kilik!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

DANW547

Post by DANW547 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:34 pm

I've been mostly playing these;

Star Wars : The Force Unleashed
Too Human
TNA Impact

I have enjoyed all three of these games but I must say they all suffer from the same problem which is the lack of a certain Mr Sheen.
It's not like the games aren't decent but you can tell that they could have done with more work and in the case of TNA were simply not finished.

I've also been dabbling in Assault Heroes 2 which is a ton of fun, a definite improvement on the first one.
----

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:18 pm

Anyone still play old games? :)
Random Amiga games tonight:
- Arkanoid
- Bubble Bobble
- Prince of Persia (controls are awful)
- Neighbours (the video game), lots of digitized pics of Ramsey Street, think its an adventure game but I don't know/care.

Bit bored now...still to play Metroid Prime 3 properly but don't know if I can be bothered moving my arms around and stuff tonight.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:22 pm

C=Style wrote: Nice one mate, congrats.

Stunning shmups aint they? The first level of DoDonPachi DOJ sends shivers down my spine when I crank it up on the home theater. Don't forget Ibara next!
Mate the first few of many I should think! You're right they are stunnning what've you got PS2-wise? I'm really interested in Ibara but man it's dear