Intellivision

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Intellivision

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:43 am

The article in RG was excellent, but there doesn't seem to be much mention on the forum of this wonderful machine. Did anyone else used to have one? I got one for Christmas back, oh many moons ago, and my favourite games were Lock 'n' Chase and Tron Deadly Discs and I seem to remember the conversion of Frogger being pretty nifty as well.

Used to enjoy beating my Dad at Golf too!

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:05 pm

I had one with the Intellivoice and Tron Solar Sailer. A completely excellent machine spoiled by the car-crash of a controller.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:10 pm

yeah that's right i remember those side buttons were a nightmare!

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:45 pm

My brother had one in the early 80's. Fond memorys of it.
( Auto Racing, Horse Racing, Sea Battle, Lock 'n' Chase )

Just bought a boxed one off Ebay a month ago with a load of games.
( followed by a boxed Atari sixer woody )

RIK

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:11 pm

Now we're talking...

I got one for xmas around 81, and absolutely loved it....

Me and my mates used to have marathon, NASL Soccer, NHL Hockey NFL Football sesh's...

My mum and I used to love PBA Bowling...

When it was fading Radio Rentals sold off all their stock so got loads of games for next to nothing...

Favourties are: B17 Bomber, Tron Deadly Discs, Frog Bog... actually all of them! :)

Still have all my stuff now and still play it...

Could go on and on about it...

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:55 am

Now we're talking boggy! You were lucky getting all those games, I could never afford that many!

Space Battle I played a lot, and Auto Racing. Seem to remember Sea Battle being a great two player game, but Tank Battle was a bit clunky. Tron Deadly Discs was brilliant, I remember getting really good at it - it was a lot easier when you learned how to "recall" a disc.

There was another Tron game - Maze-a-tron I think, that I never quite figured out, and Vectron was a bit disappointing too.

Oh and our family dog used to like chewing the gamepad inlays which helped!

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:20 am

I can't believe no ones mentioned Astrosmash. That is far and away my fav game on the system. It's just so addictive and after a while you just fall into this trance like state while playing it. I was quite disappointed that RG did't even include a screen shot of it in their article :(

I quite enjoy Beauty and the Beast too.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:21 am

i didn't have astrosmash or b & the b.
I think astrosmash is on the PS2 compilation I bought yesterday so will give that a go.

quatermazz

Post by quatermazz » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:33 am

One of my mates had one and we'd always go up to play "B-17 BOMBER!!!" - best game was Dracula though - two players was a laugh

barry merkage

Post by barry merkage » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:24 am

I had an Intellivision with a huge amount of games. Armor Battle was quality, as was Sea Battle (Space Battle less so).

Away from the mainstream stuff, I remember loving the game in which you played a fish that had to eat other fish, which enabled your fish to grow and then eat bigger fish. I have no idea what it was called. I also played a lot of the frog game - two frogs sitting on lily pads, jumping into the air to eat insects.

I can't believe RG didn't mention Soccer. For the time it was amazing, as far as I remember the first football game with "realistic" player graphics. Great gameplay as well, despite the wrap around screen.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:15 pm

barry merkage wrote:I had an Intellivision with a huge amount of games. Armor Battle was quality, as was Sea Battle (Space Battle less so).

Away from the mainstream stuff, I remember loving the game in which you played a fish that had to eat other fish, which enabled your fish to grow and then eat bigger fish. I have no idea what it was called. I also played a lot of the frog game - two frogs sitting on lily pads, jumping into the air to eat insects.

I can't believe RG didn't mention Soccer. For the time it was amazing, as far as I remember the first football game with "realistic" player graphics. Great gameplay as well, despite the wrap around screen.
Hi Barry, that game was called Shark Shark... I love it too...

Astrosmash was great, as was Star Strike.. also really liked Night Stalker...

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:34 pm

I had a Colecovision, my best friend an Intellivision, whil emy console had the better graphics he had the speech synthesizer add-on though I only remember it on B-17 Bomber which we played for hours. My favourite game for the system was definitely the excellent conversion of Burgertime, which although very tough after a couple of levels, I think I got really good at it. Also played a lot of Lock n Chase and Tron: Deadly Discs.
The Intellivison version of Dig Dug has a secret game of Tron Deadly discs with hotdogs and other Burgertime characters.

barry merkage

Post by barry merkage » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:48 pm

I had a Colecovision as well. And a VCS.

Best of all worlds.

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:23 pm

I loved my Intellivision but lost it in a fire along with all my other retro stuff.

The above mentioned games are great, I just wanted to add some of what I believe are must have titles.

Happy Trails(Activision) - This is a very cool tile sliding, puzzle game, that is very similar to Loco-motion.
http://intvfunhouse.com/games/hapy.php

Advanced Dungeon and Dragons: Misty Mountain -the other AD&D games were good too but this is a great first effort with great use of sound.
http://intvfunhouse.com/games/dndc.php

Swords and Serpents(Imagic) - A cool top down dungeon crawl with co-op.
http://intvfunhouse.com/games/sns.php

Triple Action - Just for the Biplanes this is awesome, but you need two players.
http://intvfunhouse.com/games/trac.php

Microsurgeon -
http://intvfunhouse.com/games/surg.php