The best arcade conversions on the 8 bits 16 bits and 32 bit

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:49 am

I just remembered, I should've said New Zealand Story for the Master System too! :D I thought the graphics were amazingly faithful for the MS. I still think it has amongst the best graphics on the MS.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:34 am

nesmaster wrote:
TMR wrote:
nesmaster wrote:How the hell is the PC Engine 8-bit?
Well, the main reason is the 8-bit CPU at the heart of it; the MSX range from the MSX2 onwards (and certainly the Turbo R) and Amstrad CPC Plus series are both 8-bits as well despite being able to lightly toast the NES, SMS and the "big three" home computers on the graphics front.
I understand that but i just think its a bit unfair to bundle it in with the NES,SMS and others. The Atari 2600 is 8-bit isn't it? So you wouldn't put that in the catogory as the NES would you?
To illustrate just how arbitrary a division it is, also consider that the Intellivision and TI99/4A both have 16-bit CPUs yet are vastly inferior to most of the successful 8-bit machines.

me316

Post by me316 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:28 am

This topic is all down to your own interpretation you can go the technical route or the time at which the machines came out it doesn't really matter, I personallly went the technical route...the choice is yours. 8)
Games Graveyard rules!!!!
http://gamesgraveyard.podomatic.com

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:37 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Not sure the 'bit' thing is fair though - The PC Engine is always gonna p*ss on the C64 and ZX.
Not really.

I find that whilst a lot of PC Engine arcade conversions 'look' the part, they certainly don't 'play' properly. The PC Engine version of Vigilante is a good example of a conversion with spot on graphics but messed up gameplay. I'm not 100% convinced by what I've played of PC Engine Splatterhouse either, compared to the original arcade version.

I'm not dissing the PC Engine though, I do love a lot of it's original games like Bonk and Soldier Blade, and the PC Engine port of R-Type was a good 'un.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:05 pm

Matt_B wrote:
nesmaster wrote:
TMR wrote: Well, the main reason is the 8-bit CPU at the heart of it; the MSX range from the MSX2 onwards (and certainly the Turbo R) and Amstrad CPC Plus series are both 8-bits as well despite being able to lightly toast the NES, SMS and the "big three" home computers on the graphics front.
I understand that but i just think its a bit unfair to bundle it in with the NES,SMS and others. The Atari 2600 is 8-bit isn't it? So you wouldn't put that in the catogory as the NES would you?
To illustrate just how arbitrary a division it is, also consider that the Intellivision and TI99/4A both have 16-bit CPUs yet are vastly inferior to most of the successful 8-bit machines.
Agreed!!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:14 pm

For me:

8-Bit: Rainbow Islands (Spectrum 128K)

16-Bit: Strider (Mega Drive)

32-Bit: Sega Rally (Saturn)

:)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:51 am

8-Bit: Joust(NES)
16-bit: Smash TV(SNES)
32-bit: Sega Rally Championship

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:46 am

For me:

8-bit: Gauntlet (CPC)
16-bit: Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES)
32-bit: Sega Rally (Saturn)

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:35 pm

nesmaster wrote:I understand that but i just think its a bit unfair to bundle it in with the NES,SMS and others. The Atari 2600 is 8-bit isn't it? So you wouldn't put that in the catogory as the NES would you?
i would yes, simply because they're running similar processors; the graphics may be better but my interest in any game is more about how it plays rather than how it looks.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:45 pm

8 bit.
Commando, ikari warriors, green beret, chase hq, renegade, enduro racer, midnight resistance on the spectrum. Shinobi for the master system.

16 bit.
Super off road racer, super sprint, super hangon, pang, bombjack, r-type, bubble bobble on the st. Street Fighter 2, Killer Instinct for the snes.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:19 pm

Some conversions I've enjoyed playing:

c64: Alien Syndrome - Slap Fight - Buggy Boy - Bubble Bobble (though the master system version was better) - Salamander (even with bits missing, it still gave the feel of the arcade) - Green Beret - Ikari Warriors - Cabal - Operation Wolf - Gyruss - Up 'n' Down - Silk Worm was pretty good too.

Speccy: Flying Shark - Chase HQ

Also Renegade on the CPC

NES: Terra Cresta - Donkey Kong - Green Beret - Twin Cobra - Galaga - Pooyan - Dig Dug - Pac Man - 1943 - Silk Worm - Gradius - Lifeforce/Salamander (different, but still great)

SMS: Bubble Bobble - The NZ Story - R-Type was pretty cool, although quite flickery

PC-Engine: Ninja Spirit - Dragon Spirit - Gradius - Side Arms - R-Type - Twin Cobra - Raiden - NZ Story

Amiga: Space Harrier - Toki - Rodland - Rainbow Islands - Silk Worm - Ninja Warriors (in retrospect the game is kind of dull, but I found in strangely fun back in the day.)

...of course there are plenty of other great conversions across these platforms that I either haven't played or have forgotten about.

Cornervizion

Post by Cornervizion » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:00 am

How about UN Squadron on the SNES? It took the best bits of that and Carrier Airwing.