Game Music

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Cornervizion

Post by Cornervizion » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:12 am

random_dave wrote: I would also reccommend www.kohina.net for some retro game radio
Thanks for that! One for the favourites list!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:19 am

Silent Hill 2 had an incredible, atmospheric soundtrack - its the only one i've considered buying. Dragon quest journey of the cursed king on PS2 had great music (and very good voice acting).

My older favourites are sega rally (which I hum in the car whenever I drive down a country road) and of course zelda O.O.T. The older 8 and 16 bit tunes were catchy but CD's made a big difference to soundtracks.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:54 am

I know ive mentioned this site before, but I think it needs posting again in this topic.....

http://gh.ffshrine.org/

Some great tunes on here for download!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:17 am

http://benuits-itsonlyapapermoon.blogsp ... results=50

Someone posted this link on the composers board at IMDB. Interesting thing is they have some unreleased game soundtracks too (mainly Medal of Honor). It's all unreleased or unavailable apparently.

Thanks for all your other suggestions.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:30 am

I forgot to mention dune on the amiga (the Cryo game). Blinking marvellous soundtrack.

me316

Post by me316 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:39 pm

Turrican 2 on the Amiga brilliant .. 8)
Games Graveyard rules!!!!
http://gamesgraveyard.podomatic.com

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:25 pm

Always loved the loading music to Commando on the 64. Was a tad repetitive but loved it none-the-less!
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:03 pm

I love sid chip music from the c.64... too many tunes to mention them all but Bionic Commando by Tim Follin and W.A.R. by Rob Hubbard are just off the wall.
Symphony of the night OST
Metroid Prime OST
Final Fantasy 7 OST
Streets of Rage 2 and 3 OST
These are my faves and i own the sountrack cd's to all.
The four disc FF7 japanese soundtrack releaseis partictularly noteworthy because of the sheer amount of tracks and the beautiful artwork and packaging.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:09 pm

Shadow Of The Beast: all three. the music is so sublime, like chill out music really.

Turrican (original). You gotta love the title music

Lotus 2 and 3. title music from both.

really awesome tracks from all those mentioned really.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:31 am

I could name a few but just because no-one's mentioned it, I thought the music in 720º totally rocked at the time. IIRC a tape version of the arcade soundtrack came with the Spectrum conversion (or was it on a magazine covertape?) anyway i think it was one of the first tapes I listened to on my walkman.

Outrun was another one where I had the tape soundtrack, it still sounds brill in a kitsch sort of synth music way. Final Fight (both arcade and CD) had great music, Bionic Commando reminds me of the summer holiday I spent playing it at an arcade in Cornwall.

Cornervizion

Post by Cornervizion » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:01 am

JetSetWilly wrote: Lotus 2 and 3. title music from both.
Interesting thing about Lotus 2, Barry Leitch said in an interview that if your Amiga is connected to a pair of speakers unplug one of them. And just after the beggining of the title tune you should here a quiet voice saying "Do Not Copy This Game!"

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:10 pm

After an admittedly quick scan through the thread I'm unsurprised to see no mentions for anything from the Atari 8-bit range, so I'll put in a vote for:

Tail of Beta Lyrae
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2muzwR1 ... re=related

I have a decent collection of A8 tunes (and a plug-in for Winamp to play them with) but I've never found this. Luckily YouTube came to the rescue...

Ballblazer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qri5xavBdh4

- now this is odd; the YouTube vid has an opening sequence which isn't in the version I had on my 130XE in the 80s. Could have been a dodgy re-packed rip of the original...

Robot Walk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ZbgXol ... re=related

- ok, this is a cheat as it's a demo not a game, but after listening to Kraftwerk yesterday I noticed (surely non-coincidental) similarities between the demo's tune and The Robots from The Man Machine (perhaps more-so in the version from The Mix)

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:13 pm

Here are some C64 ones I particularly like:

Monty on the Run
Sanxion
Rambo
Delta
F.G.T.Hollywood
Crazy Comets
The Last V8
Thing on a Spring
Thrust
Giana Sisters
Max Headroom
The Last Ninja series
Comic Bakery
Ocean Loader v2
Enigma Force
Suicide Express
Parallax
Spy Vs Spy
Glider Rider
Arkanoid
Yie Ar Kung Fu
Green Beret
Commando

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Green Beret on the C64, TREMENDOUS!
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:51 pm

I always enjoyed Chris Huelsbeck's work. Also the obvious choices of Hubbard and Galway etc.

I am also particularly fond of Hitoshi Sakimoto, Masahiro Yuge and Manabu Namiki who are responsible for some of the finest videogame tunes ever created especially for shmups like Kingdom GP, Mahou daisakusen, Soukyugurentai, DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou, Truxton, Dimahoo, Radiant Silvergun and Battle Garegga, even other games with incredible music like Vagrant Story and Midnight Resistance. Seriously talented people.

Also Yuzo Koshiro deserves mention for Shemnue alone!