Favourite Flight Simulators

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Gnome

Post by Gnome » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:58 pm

Sierra's Red Baron on the PC for being realistic, simple, graphically impressive, reminiscent of Black Adder and very very atmospheric. Oh, and the brilliant manual and printed map used for navigation did help quite a bit too. A fantastic game. Other than that, Wings on the Amiga was great and so was TFX on the PC.
Usually blogging over at Gnome's Lair, steadily into Retro Treasures and some cabaret.

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:17 am

I used to spend many hours playing "Chuck Yeager's air combat" on a 386.

Chuck would brief me on the situation and I'd take to the sky without question...in many cases I was already in the sky so Chuck must have put me there or something. I guess Chuck must have been sitting behind me or something because his face kept appearing on my dashboard saying "Bandid on your six..BREAK!". When I had taught the hun a lesson Chuck would grin at me and say "That's good flying" or "You can fly on my wing anytime". We both knew he was lying, but it didn't matter. Sometimes Chuck would accuse me of bringing his plane back as "Swiss cheese" or he would jokingly tell me that I had died. He was such a card that Chuck.

Gnome

Post by Gnome » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:23 am

Chuck was creepy...
Usually blogging over at Gnome's Lair, steadily into Retro Treasures and some cabaret.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:36 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
hydr0x wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:I really enjoy Microsoft Combat flight sim on the PC.
I managed to pick up a big box version, still sealed for £1.50 the other week :)
the first one on 5.25 floppy disks? bought it from a flea recently for 0.50 :)
No Combat flight sim, the WWII Spitfire game (I know, but who would want to use anything else..)

I found it very easy to play with a good joystick, not complicated like the modern Flight Sims at all, just build your speed up, pull back on the stick and retract the landing gear.

Once your in the air keep an eye on the altitude and blast anything that moves above the Kent country side, fantastic...
£1 in Zavvi yesterday:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:50 am

Reach For The Skies (Amiga) Stirring stuff, and the campaign mode was brilliant. First time I actually felt like I was in a proper WWII dogfight in a computer game.

Combat Air Patrol (Amiga) Very underrated. Remember being really impressed by the fact you could direct several squadrons of planes in a bombing mission and switch between the cockpits of any one of them, something I don't think I saw again until Total Air War on the PC. Oh god, I sound like a flight sim nerd.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:33 am

EF2000 for me. All the DID simulations had a pretty high level of realism, but it was also one of the first games to have a proper 3D textured landscape allowing you to fly up fjords at wave top height.

I'm a big fan of Flight Simulation, Fighter Pilot, Tomahawk, F-16 Combat Pilot, F-19 Stealth Fighter, Knights of the Sky and MS Flight Simulator too though, as they were all good in their day.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:04 am

Loved Birds of Prey (amiga) for the huge selection of real world planes, and the fact you would fly each plane on a specific type of mission

Eg, A-10 Tank Killer on ground support missions, Blackbird for reconnaisance missions etc!

Devious

Post by Devious » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:13 pm

I remember playing F19 Stealth Fighter a few times for MS-DOS. I was never really any good at flight battle simulators, except for helicopter based ones like LHX Attack Chopper for MS-DOS and Black Dawn for the PSX. I've got about four flight battle games that came together but I haven't even played them much, if any. Nova Logic's Commanche was in there and the first Russian named flight game that came out for DOS, but the graphics of Commanche didn't seem to me to be as good as I remember them when the computer I was using was too slow to run the original properly. There was one plane flight battle game that I can't remember the name of that I have somewhere, I think, and I remember that I had to use every feature of Quaterdeck's QEMM to get it to run in the 640K of DOS on a machine that had SB16 installed and an ISO font that used lower memory. That game required every bit of 621K DOS low bytes to run. That game required a special boot configuration to be played and Windows 3.1 wouldn't load with that configuration. I probably spent the most time playing Chuck Yeager's Air Combat of the plane games.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:09 pm

It's funny... I guess flights sims are a genre that has become too complex for my sphere of interest, but I used to love them on the 8 and 16-bit computers. I was particularly addicted to Gunship on the Speccy (though I've tried to go back and play it fairly recently and it hasn't aged well at all).

It would be a toss-up between Falcon and F-18. Both were landmark titles for me on the ST and Amiga. So many great memories.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:09 pm

Sabreman wrote:It's funny... I guess flights sims are a genre that has become too complex for my sphere of interest, but I used to love them on the 8 and 16-bit computers. I was particularly addicted to Gunship on the Speccy (though I've tried to go back and play it fairly recently and it hasn't aged well at all).

It would be a toss-up between Falcon and F-18. Both were landmark titles for me on the ST and Amiga. So many great memories.
try Gunship on the C64 - it';s much more atmospheric and still playable
You really cant beat Tomahawk on the Speccy for chopper-sim fun though
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:14 pm

Gunship 2000 - on the Amiga

And not retro, but I have been enjoying Blazing Angels on the Wii

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:52 pm

Once you got used to the Stealth element of F19 it made the game a lot more interesting. You had to fly low and at a slow speed. If I remember correctly, also on an Amiga you could use an analogue stick on it.