9/11

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

I think that...

...it is possible to burn down 3 steel frame buildings with 2 aeroplanes.
68%
...US military patented explosives, such as those evident in the projected dust, were used to demolish the 3 world trade centre buildings.
18%
...this isn't something I should be concerned about, no-one I know has been killed, I've never been to Iraq, why should I care? Pass me the joystick let's get back to Desert Strike.
15%

Total votes: 34

jimbo_too

Post by jimbo_too » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:58 am

Isn't it the case that sometimes things don't work the same in practicality as they might in a lab/text book?

It's prefectly feasbile that the towers collapsed as a result of the trauma of the planes hitting them. Sure, they collapsed like a house of cards but nothing ever works like you think it might. Also the shockwave of the other two collapsing could quite easily bring down other buildings.

TBH, I'm surprised there wasn't more devestation than there was - imagine if a tower had fallen sideways.

R.Prime - This is all very laudable, but you can't create a debate then sit there bashing all comers who disagree. That isn't the nature of debate. You remind me of the people who say that, yes, it's sad that Princess Diana died, but ISN'T IT WEIRD, ALL OF THE THINGS THAT DON'T ADD UP? Then before you know it, you join up the dodgy toxicology reports and the supposed pregnancy with the fiat panda that sped away from the crash, and suddenly like Poirot at the end of one of his tedious eponymous books/tv shows - "It was the Chuckle Brothers, with a hairdryer, in the drawing room"

Sometimes you have to face facts instead of looking for something that's not there...
Antiriad2097 wrote:Jimbo_too, 11% Troll :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:59 am

It does amuse me the way some people get so wrapped up in these conspiracies though, they read tons of rubbish on sites about it. People think the moon landings were fake, people think the world is flat.

The funniest one was hearing people think Jimmy Krankie is really a woman ! Ha ha how crazy are they !
jimbo_too wrote:Isn't it the case that sometimes things don't work the same in practicality as they might in a lab/text book?

It's prefectly feasbile that the towers collapsed as a result of the trauma of the planes hitting them. Sure, they collapsed like a house of cards but nothing ever works like you think it might. Also the shockwave of the other two collapsing could quite easily bring down other buildings.
Thats what i think. Nothing like this has happened before so it might not have happened how it did like you say in a lab/text book. Its not like they can do tests with crash test dummies with a Boeing and a huge tower block, they just cant.

R. Prime

Post by R. Prime » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:01 pm

type of steel used and how well it was insulated against fire.
It was insulated against fire. With asbestos, a fire retardant.

Coincidentally, or not, there was a billion dollars worth of asbestos removal that was required to be done on the buildings.

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:04 pm

What happened on the 9th of November?

R. Prime

Post by R. Prime » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:06 pm

R.Prime - This is all very laudable, but you can't create a debate then sit there bashing all comers who disagree. That isn't the nature of debate. You remind me of the people who say that, yes, it's sad that Princess Diana died, but ISN'T IT WEIRD, ALL OF THE THINGS THAT DON'T ADD UP?
Hang on a minute! When did I bash anyone?

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:06 pm

Graham Humphrey wrote:What happened on the 9th of November?
I think that was the date Guy Fawkes disappeared from his tomb and was taken up.....although I could be getting my stories mixed up.....I'm pretty sure there were Elves and Pixies in it somewhere though.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

R. Prime

Post by R. Prime » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:11 pm

People think the moon landings were fake, people think the world is flat.
Some people believe that God made the world in 7 days, but that has nothing to do with the laws of physics. Stick to the topic please.
Last edited by R. Prime on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:12 pm

R. Prime wrote:
Do you not accept that the impact from the planes and the resulting explosion could have damaged this insulation?

I feel I should point out that the wikipedia article R.Prime linked to has a very clear explanation of how the twin towers collapsed, and offers no support for conspiracy theories about controlled demolitions. link

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:13 pm

R. Prime wrote:

Coincidentally, or not, there was a billion dollars worth of asbestos removal that was required to be done on the buildings.
So you think if a huge jetplane went smack into the tower at 500 mph (or however fast it was) there woudl hardly be any fire ?

Perhaps you also think if you have an alarm fitted on your car it'll never get nicked ?

Do you think asbestos companies did tests with a plane flying into a building very very fast to see if the asbestos would hold up in a fire like that ?

So did someone from the US Government leg it up the stairs and set fire to parts of the building where the crash was as surely it wasnt the building on fire because of the asbestos protection ?!?!

As for 'bashing anyone' you did that in the first post as apparently we're too thick and stupid and we're all robots who believe everything we're told.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Back on the whole WTC destroyed by Aliens debate, its just not credible. When engineers need to carry out a controlled explosion on buildings a tenth of that size they spend weeks prepping the building, stripping out concrete, putting explosives inside the structure where the concrete has been stripped out etc etc. the WTC was a home or business for thousands of people. An operation of that scale, with that kind of accuracy couldn't have been carried out by a few covert operatives taking plastique in there 1lb at a time in their pockets. It would have involved a covert operation of unprecedented manpower and complexity that would stand an almost certain chance of discovery or failure......and nearly all governments are prepared to take that kind of risk killing their own people.

I'm sorry but the whole concept is just absurd for so many reasons, and if the American establishment was looking to engineer a reason to go into the Middle East themselves, they certainly wouldn't have needed to destroy the Financial heart of New York to do it....Bush Snr proved that over a decade before.

I think the next topic should be on UFO's and whether all our Bovine species have been replaced with covert government spy drones who are gently poisoning us with genetically engineered methane gas while also monitoring us for speeding and road tax evasion.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:17 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
I think the next topic should be on UFO's and whether all our Bovine species have been replaced with covert government spy drones who are gently poisoning us with genetically engineered methane gas while also monitoring us for speeding and road tax evasion.
As an agent of our glorious soon-to-be masters, I can confirm that this is the case.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:17 pm

Moo!.

R. Prime

Post by R. Prime » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:19 pm

Do you not accept that the impact from the planes and the resulting explosion could have damaged this insulation?
That's right, I do not accept that. Fire retardant is sprayed directly onto the structural steel.

I feel I should point out that the wikipedia article R.Prime linked to has a very clear explanation of how the twin towers collapsed, and offers no support for conspiracy theories about controlled demolitions
Well that's because anyone can edit Wikipedia. I could edit it right now and put the alternative theory back in. But then someone would remove it.
My link to the wiki article was for the benefit of the user who did not know a third building collapsed.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:22 pm

R. Prime wrote:
That's right, I do not accept that. Fire retardant is sprayed directly onto the structural steel.
I'm stunned by that. You seem to think the insulation was amazingly strong and could withstand anything, even a huge jet plane flying into it at x mph.

Sorry but you do sound like some brainwashed type person, you read lots and lots of stuff like this (forget the sources, must be true its on the net) and you really think you know the whole story and your few years doing physics is better than all the top scientists etc.

Quite scary knowing people like you just wont accept any other answers, you mock us for 'following like lemmings' but on the other side of the fence its quite disturbing reading your views and how you wont accept certain things.

jimbo_too

Post by jimbo_too » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 pm

R. Prime wrote:
R.Prime - This is all very laudable, but you can't create a debate then sit there bashing all comers who disagree. That isn't the nature of debate. You remind me of the people who say that, yes, it's sad that Princess Diana died, but ISN'T IT WEIRD, ALL OF THE THINGS THAT DON'T ADD UP?
Hang on a minute! When did I bash anyone?
Maybe not so much bashing, what I'm getting at is that you've basically set up your stall to convert us to the idea that 9/11 was a deliberate act of sabotage by a morally bankrupt American government. You repeatedly reply to sensible answers with "I know physics", as if that is somehow the end of the argument.

Physics are a set of usually immutable laws that work on this planet, most of the time. They probably work differently on other planets, with materials we have not yet experienced - how about the fact that the theories of General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics work fine on their own, but somehow when brought together they don't work? The numbers should add up but don't. That's managed to upset a lot of physicists because it shows that they don't know everything yet. Not everything works as it is supposed to, that's how things happen. You get weird coincidences, then people look at it later and see conspiracy.
Antiriad2097 wrote:Jimbo_too, 11% Troll :lol: