Anyone with a PS3....HELP

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

fry8

Anyone with a PS3....HELP

Post by fry8 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:15 pm

right, i know this isn't strictly about retro games, but it kind of is.
I really need someone's help.

I felt like playing one of my PS1 games on my PS3 but since i'd been using an HDMI cable it said that I needed to change the video output settings. So i did and changed it to scart and it came up with a screen on the scart input. This went off though, and now there is sound thru HDMI port and i can move on the menu, but i can't see anything and there's nothing on the scart input.

The PS1 game plays now.... but i can't see it on HDMI and i can't see or hear it through scart.

Someone help. Does anyone know what to do?

Or could someone atleast map out the PS3 menu for me so i could reset it to HDMI blind?

Thanks.

drws

Post by drws » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Whilst its powered off plug in just your hdmi cable (i.e not scart as well), then power on by holding down the power button for at least 5 secs when you should hear two-beeps.
This is the ps3 video reset option that is *supposed* to re-detect your attached video cables and go to the vid setup screen again.

fry8

Post by fry8 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:34 pm

right ok, i'll give that a go now. I think i'll stick to using the goold one PSX for playing PS1 games.

Incedently, anyone know how to safely change it to be able to PS1/2 games without screwing it up as i have managed to do?

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:34 pm

Yeah, do the following with whatever cables you have in and it will automaically detect and display correctly....

Turn off the PS3. Hold the power button for about 10 seconds to turn it on (you should hear 2 beeps). The PS3 should now be back to the default video settings.

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:56 pm

Never had any problem playing any PS1 games on PS3 through HDMI, and I normally have problems with everything!

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:02 pm

I don't see the problem with PS1 games playing on your PS3. Mine is hooked up via HDMI and plays PS1 games fine. I mean, it's emulation. If your PS3 will display PS3 games, it'll display PS1 games.
What exactly was the PS3 requesting you do?

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:33 pm

My PS3 plays Playstation 1 games fine without messing around with cables.
Just bung it in the drive and up it pops..?

Are there certain games that won't run via HDMI..?

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:45 pm

This is a real strange problem. The ONLY PS1 game I can't get to work in the PS3 is "Ready 2 Rumble Boxing", which is just not compatible with it.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

fry8

Post by fry8 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:50 pm

i don't know, it seems to be my ps3 only then??

I tried playing xmen vs streetfighter, its working now but it didn't via HDMI, only through scart.

:?:

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:24 am

only game i've ever not been able to play through HDMI was tekken 5 (ps2)

The safest way to switch from HDMI to SCART could just use the safe vid mode rather than doing it through the menus.

Switch off, plug scart cable in, put tv on scart channel, pres and hold power button until it beeps twice, audio and video is now set to 576i through the AV/Multi socket
Repeat but with HDMI plugged in instead of scart to fire it into the hdmi auto detect menus

I think the problems stem from HDMI not being able t take a 576i signal, only 576p (at least with ps3) this means there may be games that used odd graphics tricks that don't convert well to progressive scan
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:58 am

Scooby1970 wrote:This is a real strange problem. The ONLY PS1 game I can't get to work in the PS3 is "Ready 2 Rumble Boxing", which is just not compatible with it.

:) Mark
Well thats no great loss, the game is fantastic on the Dreamcast, it sucks big time on the Playstation.
Maybe it's a safety feature to stop you playing crap versions of games..?

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:11 am

Opa-Opa wrote:Maybe it's a safety feature to stop you playing crap versions of games..?
:lol:
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...