Deathsmiles coming to XBOX360.....in Japan.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:59 am

Does look great doesn't it? I've not played any 'new' Cave shmups since getting Ibara on PS2 so I must say I'm really missing them. Shame that Microsoft, in their 'wisdom' turned down the chance to publish Cave's games on XBox Live.. another reason to point and laugh at the plonkers in MS marketing - they would have been ideal on that format.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:49 pm

Certainly does look nice! Here's hoping to a region free disk, or else I may be tempted to flash the drives firmware.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:18 am

Seems JPNXB360's will be coming down in price!

From neogaf via Cave-STG.com:
http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/new ... s/1854216/
via neogaf.com forums

Price cuts in effect starting 9/11. Good news for those who want to buy a JP X360 for all the upcoming ports. Only 19,800yen for an Arcade model. Hopefully that will equate to no more than $250 at shops like play-asia. It's probably the new Jasper chipset too, which is cheaper to produce (hence the price drop) and far more reliable.

Honestly, in terms of the quality of games, if you can buy only one of the 3 current systems you definitely need to get the X360. The Wii is total crap, and nothing good seems to be released on the PS3 anymore (not much on the horizon either, especially for shooting game fans).
Btw, not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere else on here but Ketsui and DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou Black Label are also being ported to the 360 by the same guys doing the Deathsmiles port.

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:40 am

It's a shame, that every new shooter is region locked. Hopefully this one is the exception. If the 360 was more reliable I would even buy a Japanese unit. But with RROD and disc drive problems I don't like the risk it...

JimMiller

Post by JimMiller » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:12 pm

Well, I agree with Type2xs there - it's hard to stomach importing a Jap 360 when you know it will more than likely not last the distance and break down at some point due to poor build quality :( However, although I know that people usually flash the 360's drive with dubious intentions - would doing this allow you to play games without the region problems as C=Style suggests ? I imagine it would work, but I don't want to fork out and then find out it doesn't. I'm a big fan of shooters and need to play these games one way or another :)

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:03 pm

Boxart attack!!!!

th3 duckst3r

Post by th3 duckst3r » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:09 pm

C=Style wrote:Certainly does look nice! Here's hoping to a region free disk, or else I may be tempted to flash the drives firmware.

must be region free to play .pointless flashing your 360 cause it still wouldnt play the game if it aint region free.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:45 pm

Bought a Jap 360 of Ebay for this and Otomedius Gorgeous.. I heard there's gonna be a limited Box set release of Death Smiles with figures and stuff.. They was a petition posted on 'Cave's website to make this and Ketsui region begion free but they said they have no plans at present to do this...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:09 am

I heard there's gonna be a limited Box set release of Death Smiles with figures and stuff
This would be awesome. I absolutely love the character desigins in this (no matter what the lolli-goth haters say) and would more than likely pick up the LE.

According to the developers blog Mushi Futari, ESPGII and DDP DFK are also contenders to get ported to the 360. And the developer has stated it would be his preference to port ESPGII to XBLA. Which would be a shame as ESpGII is so good it deserves a full release.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:09 am

Shinobi wrote:Bought a Jap 360 of Ebay for this and Otomedius Gorgeous.. I heard there's gonna be a limited Box set release of Death Smiles with figures and stuff.. They was a petition posted on 'Cave's website to make this and Ketsui region begion free but they said they have no plans at present to do this...
Man I need to get a Jap 360, they always seem so dear from import companies. Anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced one?

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:19 am

Incl Tax and postage, looking at around £230-240 from Play Asia. The problem with 360's is that they weigh a ton and for them to import NTSC-J models to Hong Kong and then selling them on bumps the price up.

Might be better if you can find a direct seller in Japan?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:49 am

Kaede wrote:Incl Tax and postage, looking at around £230-240 from Play Asia. The problem with 360's is that they weigh a ton and for them to import NTSC-J models to Hong Kong and then selling them on bumps the price up.

Might be better if you can find a direct seller in Japan?
Aye I was looking at Play-Asia, ebay also wasn't much help. I know someone in Japan but I'm not sure I know him well enough to start asking for him to send me a 360!! Might mean I have to bring forward those plans to take a visit over there.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 am

Haggar-san mo nihongo ga wakarimasu?

I'll most likely go with PA given the delicate nature of 360's in the first place. Although, second hand Japanese stuff is usually in excellent shape.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:29 am

Kaede wrote: Haggar-san mo nihongo ga wakarimasu?
No :P