Official Issue 54 feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:02 pm

Mickey T wrote: Is Tiny Toons worthy of your time? probably not, thats why its there. kind of muddies the waters I know. It is a bit like the six of the best arguments, people seem to miss the "Of" in the title.
Why not try it and see? :)
but that's exactly my point. Tiny Toons IS worth your time. It might be short but while it lasts it is a great game.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:02 pm

I loved the Intellivision retro hardware inspection....this is what retro gameing is all about to me..........Lovinit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:32 pm

I just wanted to say thank you very much for the OutRun 2006 recommendation.

I didn't bother with it when it came out because I'm not a huge racing fan, but I do have great memories of playing OutRun as a kid.

Anyway I just got the PS2 version off Ebay for £2.41 & It arrived this morning & I have to say I'm loving it. Cheers guys. :D

JimMiller

Post by JimMiller » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:14 pm

Hi Craig,
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I really appreciated that and I'm very much looking forward to reading your next article :)

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:21 pm

Outrun. AGAIN????
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:34 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:Outrun. AGAIN????
Er, what? Number of OutRun making-ofs prior to this making-of: zero. Yeah, there was Stu's Definitive, but that's a series overview, and shouldn't stop a making-of yomping on in eventually. (See also: Defender, for which there's a chunky making-of next month.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

chrisgoodhead

Post by chrisgoodhead » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:35 pm

Think you mean "Don't Buy This" by Firebird - http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... loadpics=3[/quote]

That's the one!

I suppose being deliberately bad* means it shouldn't be featured in Retro Shamer. It's the games that sit alongside all the other games on the shelf pretending that they are just as worthy of your time, when infact they bring shame to us all by their very existence; they're the ones that should be named and shamed.

Although it has occured to me that perhaps it wasn't deliberately bad initially but when they realised they had produced a turkey, in some kind of post-modern ironic fashion (meaningless terms, I know) they titled it "Don't Buy This" and like the rebellious fools that we are we did exactly what we weren't supposed to do and bought it, in the process getting exactly what we deserved. A collection of appalling minigames.

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:25 pm

In terms of balance, I'd say the last couple of issues have got it spot on. Personally I love the pick'n'mix approach: it makes it that bit more exciting when the new issue plops onto my doormat as you don't really know what you're gonna get.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:47 pm

Very impressed with this issue. Well done and Thank You. Please keep this up. I am already excited in seeing what the Xmas 08 issue will be like in a few months time since this magazine has become so much better this year. :D

Well done once again. :D
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:29 pm

yethboth wrote:Very impressed with this issue. Well done and Thank You. Please keep this up. I am already excited in seeing what the Xmas 08 issue will be like in a few months time since this magazine has become so much better this year. :D

Just out of interest, which bits have become so much better and what are you most impressed with?

I take from your post that you didn't enjoy the mag as much previously as you do now?

Not wishing to put you on the spot, just want to know cos ive not enjoyed the mag recently as much as I used to (as documented) and just want another perspective on it!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

popmilo

Homebrew ...

Post by popmilo » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:02 am

One question:

From which game is a screenshot on the bottom of page 14 ?

quote: "James Bailey wants to see more homebrew reviews on games like Sirius, but how many Retro Gamer readers agree? Head to the forum and let us know."

So I guess name of the game is Sirius...
I can only see that it has 2x1 pixel size, wich might be commodore feature or amstrad or ... ?

Can someone tell me where to find more info on this game... it looks promising...

Havantgottaclue

Re: Homebrew ...

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:49 am

popmilo wrote:
So I guess name of the game is Sirius...
I can only see that it has 2x1 pixel size, wich might be commodore feature or amstrad or ... ?

Can someone tell me where to find more info on this game... it looks promising...
Atari 7800, actually:

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.h ... belID=2765

popmilo

Post by popmilo » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:28 am

Havantgottaclue wrote: Atari 7800, actually:

Thanks a lot !!! 8)

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:07 am

popmilo wrote:
Havantgottaclue wrote: Atari 7800, actually:

Thanks a lot !!! 8)
Sirius was reviewed in issue 53 as well, it's sadly not entirely complete but a very playable game (just don't put it into "hard" mode because the bugs in the character bullet system start acting up!)

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
yethboth wrote:Very impressed with this issue. Well done and Thank You. Please keep this up. I am already excited in seeing what the Xmas 08 issue will be like in a few months time since this magazine has become so much better this year. :D

Just out of interest, which bits have become so much better and what are you most impressed with?

I take from your post that you didn't enjoy the mag as much previously as you do now?

Not wishing to put you on the spot, just want to know cos ive not enjoyed the mag recently as much as I used to (as documented) and just want another perspective on it!

The Retro Shamer section is far better designed and much more attractive to look at.

I like reading the Retro Forum section where they have entended it to three pages and the Forum question bit now has our pictures on it from the best replies.

I like the 'Why You must play' section with the conversion comparisions of that particular game.

The collectors corner is much better with more photos and less text.

:)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth