Starting a new collection

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:33 pm

im going to go against the flow and say N64. there are loads of great games for it, that range from £1.50 up to £80 (thats for SiN and Punishment)

and it has Mario Kart 64, what more do you want?
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:39 am

Sega CD!

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:34 am

I would say the Dreamcast would be one of the most fun if you're aiming to get lots of enjoyment out of your collection. most (not all) games are reasonably cheap and you can still find them for sale in some shops and boot fairs.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:01 am

sscott wrote:I would say the Dreamcast would be one of the most fun if you're aiming to get lots of enjoyment out of your collection. most (not all) games are reasonably cheap and you can still find them for sale in some shops and boot fairs.
one should note though that some of the best games are quite expensive: Rez, Samba de Amigo, Power Stone 2, Street Fighter III and others

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:59 am

I should probably mention I already have a DC. I dont know why but I never really had any interest in collecting for it. Yes I play quite a lof of games for it but it just doesnt feel retro enough for me.

Not a fan of the Wonderswan as I believe all the games are in Japanese so Id want to be able to know whats going on. Which is a shame as I fancied getting my hands on the Wonderswans Final Fantasy.

Sega CD, well Ive had one before but the majority of games were pretty poor so I dont think Id enjoy that.

N64 suffers the same sort of attitude with me as the DC. Great games etc but it doesnt seem all that long ago since I owned one as a teenager :lol:

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:09 pm

Lorfarius wrote:I should probably mention I already have a DC. I dont know why but I never really had any interest in collecting for it. Yes I play quite a lof of games for it but it just doesnt feel retro enough for me.

Not a fan of the Wonderswan as I believe all the games are in Japanese so Id want to be able to know whats going on. Which is a shame as I fancied getting my hands on the Wonderswans Final Fantasy.

Sega CD, well Ive had one before but the majority of games were pretty poor so I dont think Id enjoy that.

N64 suffers the same sort of attitude with me as the DC. Great games etc but it doesnt seem all that long ago since I owned one as a teenager :lol:
Depends o several factors.

"Personally", I would not collect for the NES because the market seems to have fallen out, and surely it would be wiser to have a collection that could also be used as an investment for a rainy day, if ever needed??

I enjoyed collecting a full set of PAL Mega CD games. Yes, like you say there are a lot of below average titles cluttering up the library, but there are many classics too. Games such as Robo Aleste, Sonic CD, Wonderdog, Eye of the Beholder, Keio Flying Squadron, Yumeni Mystery Mansion Lords of Thunder, and then of course there's the obligatory Snatcher, Shining Force CD and the AMAZING port of Final Fight.

Even some of the Megadrive ports received overhauls making them a little bit better than their cartridge counterparts (Terminator, Jurassic Park). There's a nice no to collect and the most expensive game would set you back just over £200. (The next two rarest PAL titles would cost approx £110 each).

Dreamcast I would agree with you on. I personally don't like the majority of titles in the PAL library. I'm certainly NOT saying there crap, I just see too many below average titles clamming it up.

The Megadrive is another superb console to collect for, with a rather large range and amount of PAL titles.

As you can tell, I am a SEGA fan boy. I just CAN'T do cardboard boxed games when collecting which sadly rules out the Saturn and 32X for me.

I've actually just started collecting for the PS, and that too is a chore. Those cases sure break way too easy for my liking!

So, in order - I'd say :

1. Mega CD
2. Megadrive
3. SNES

I say SNES, as maybe you don't care quite so much about the cond of boxes than I do :lol:
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Lorfarius wrote: Not a fan of the Wonderswan as I believe all the games are in Japanese so Id want to be able to know whats going on. Which is a shame as I fancied getting my hands on the Wonderswans Final Fantasy.:lol:
WonderSwan games that are playable for non-Japanese speakers are:

Chocobo's Dungeon
Crazy Climber
Digimon Ver. WonderSwan
Engacho!
Golden Axe
Golf Nice On
Gunpey
Gunpey EX
Judgement Silversword
Kaze no Klonoa: Moonlight Museum
Makaimura
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
One Piece: SwanColosseum
Rockman & Forte
Rockman EXE WS
RUN=DIM: Return to Earth
Tane o Makutori
Tarepanda Gunpey
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Wonder Classic
XI [sai] Little
Pocket Fighter
Space Invaders
Guilty Gear Petit 2
Final Lap Special
Magical Drop
Mr. Driller
Pro Wrestling
Puyo Puyo 2
Puzzle Bobble
Rainbow Islands
Shanghai Pocket
Side Pocket
Space Invaders
Street Dance
Densha de Go
Desnha De Go 2
Tetris
Wonder Classic
Wonder Stadium
Wonder Stadium '99
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:47 am

Thanks for the suggestions all. I'm still umming and aahing about which way to go but come payday (Monday) I should hopefully have decided. At the moment its looking like a NES or Mega CD collection. I may even go for both.

I've always loved the NES, I just see R.O.B and go all gooey eyed :lol: and at least with a MEgaCD I can always dabble into the MD scene as well.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:10 am

Lorfarius wrote:Thanks for the suggestions all. I'm still umming and aahing about which way to go but come payday (Monday) I should hopefully have decided. At the moment its looking like a NES or Mega CD collection. I may even go for both.

I've always loved the NES, I just see R.O.B and go all gooey eyed :lol: and at least with a MEgaCD I can always dabble into the MD scene as well.
Well, if you decide on the Mega CD, let me know.

I am in the process of selling off the majority of my collection and have at least 70 games for sale. And as they are from my personal collection, all are boxed and mint/complete.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:28 am

I'd have a slight bias but I'd say NGPC, Vectrex or 7800 ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:55 pm

Mayhem wrote:I'd have a slight bias but I'd say NGPC, Vectrex or 7800 ;)
I had quite a decent Vectrex collection up until last year at Retro North. However the console died at the event and I was never able to get it fixed :( Sold it for spares in the end.

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:19 pm

Dreamcast or Saturn, start now while they're relatively cheap to collect for!

Perhaps something more obscure like the 3DO or CD32?

Personally I collect for Saturn and dabble in Dreamcast (have about 30 titles) and MegaDrive (have about 35 titles)
For the latter two I generally only keep good games that I genuinely enjoy playing.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:29 pm

I don't have a particularly large collection of any one console but much prefer buying sega stuff because its usually boxed and often in better condition than Nintendo stuff (for obvious reasons), though every time I take a DC game out the box I''m scared the case will break (as they often do). Have about 50 mega drive titles, 30 saturn and 30 DC. While people like Shadowman enjoys a variety of games/consoles etc... he has taken his Megaman collection to an extreme I couldn't possibly get away with with my wife on the scene! He seems to play to completion every MM game he collects so probably enjoys his collection on both levels.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:07 pm

sscott wrote:I don't have a particularly large collection of any one console but much prefer buying sega stuff because its usually boxed and often in better condition than Nintendo stuff (for obvious reasons), though every time I take a DC game out the box I''m scared the case will break (as they often do). Have about 50 mega drive titles, 30 saturn and 30 DC. While people like Shadowman enjoys a variety of games/consoles etc... he has taken his Megaman collection to an extreme I couldn't possibly get away with with my wife on the scene! He seems to play to completion every MM game he collects so probably enjoys his collection on both levels.
Your right about about my MM collection, I thought it would be more worthwhile to go after a series as it would both give me something to collect and at the end of the day I'd also enjoy playing (almost) every one of the games I'd acquire. Otherwise I'd personally go after a full set of Dreamcast games as its one of the few consoles I could realistically see me being able to get (close to) a full set. Only downer is that there would be so many games I wouldn't touch!
Neo Geo Pocket Colour is another system which wouldn't be to hard to collect a full set, there are a couple of games that would set you back a bit and if you chose to get them complete (in clamshell packaging) it would bump the cost up quite a bit.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:10 pm

Just start the Sega Saturn collection and stop kidding yourself that you're interested in the other consoles! 8)
Thoughts and prayers.