OFFICIAL ISSUE 53 FEEDBACK THREAD

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:06 am

I am not a fan of the Boulder Dash piece, but that is purely the subject matter as I really like the concept of the feature. I love the cover and there seems to be plenty of good content (Kane and Enduro Racer are particular faves), but for me the design of the mag looks, well, wrong. It feels like there is no flow and that things are all designed individually with no continuity.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:35 am

Why should one relatively unconnected article flow seamlessly into another?

Anyway, post the damn cover :twisted:
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:39 am

Actually I was going to praise the designer as it just looks bloody excellent to me - he obviously doesn't just do a generic games mag job on it and each article has its own feel (highlights being Alex Kidd, Marble Madness and Boulderdash pages).

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:39 am

The Master wrote:Why should one relatively unconnected article flow seamlessly into another?
I didn't say they should. But a little continuity makes it look like a professional piece of work rather than a scrapbook of stuff thrown together (that was exaggerated for effect and is obviously not what I think of this issue).

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:45 am

Are Jase's Rants still running?
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:48 am

Not in this one (thank god)

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:14 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
It's a saturn shooter list. only about three shooters were released in the UK, so they're all Japanese. And besides it's not as though the machine's hard to chip/expensive to buy on import.

Still, we'll make sure that they're not all import only in future.
Theres no need to get all sarcastic, the machine IS hard to illegally chip yourself, even more so if you don't know one end of a soldering iron from the other..
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but why the hell are you complaining about what is a very small and mostly trivial standing element? It's not like you have to go out and buy every game you see there. It's just a bit of trivia, a bit of fun.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:33 am

Shock, horror! No complaints from me this month so far!!!

Obviously I'm not completely interested in all the articles, but then again, who is? Debates over which games are the best and should be talked about more rage on these forums all the time....and more often than not, I find that if I read an article that I wasn't particularly interested in, then something in it maybe prompts me to go and have a look at the game for myself and then I actually end up enjoying a game that I was never able to get into before.

Was interesting to read the interview with Ally Noble, I never thought any of the individuals that made up Denton Designs after Imagine collapsed ever got the recognition that they deserved, even though I didn't like every game that she was involved with.....in fact, just anything that touches on the Imagine collapse makes fascinating reading for me, maybe one day you'll manages an interview with Bruce Everiss himself (won't hold my breath though, that one could turn fugly in a hurry!)

Was also interesting to see a look back at Guardians Of The Hood (surely a contender for Retro Shamer if ever there was one)...correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't played that game for years, maybe not since it first came out. I seem to remember there was a lot of swearing in it...and even at the time it was completely panned for it's negative portrayal of ethnic stereotypes (if not the poor gameplay itself).

And once again, my name is in the mag :)

So, er, well done!

Love the cover too!
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:35 am

Got my copy this morning - much better than the last couple of issues. Particulary liked the desert island disks as BC Bill and Pedro were some of the first games I got for the spectrum, memories came flooding back.

Border down article was fantastic and PC-Fx is a much more interesting console than that amstrad thing last issue. The star wars history was dull though, the vast majority of star wars games have been complete tat and dont really deserve to be remembered.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:32 am

Can I see what the front cover looks like please? I hope it's good. :)

Many Thanks.

Also, has the Bargain Hunt section received a new makeover yet?

Thanks.

:)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:09 pm

Enjoyed the issue, enjoyed the Konami feature and the Making of Marble Madness. But Shaolin's Road and Pooyan in the "Six of the Best" and no Time Pilot, Gyruss or Gradius? I think Shaolin's Road is an appalling game, no redeeming quality to it at all. Likewise I love Tutankham so was horrified to see it in the other section...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:23 pm

Mayhem wrote:Enjoyed the issue, enjoyed the Konami feature and the Making of Marble Madness. But Shaolin's Road and Pooyan in the "Six of the Best" and no Time Pilot, Gyruss or Gradius? I think Shaolin's Road is an appalling game, no redeeming quality to it at all. Likewise I love Tutankham so was horrified to see it in the other section...
Yes I was stunned that Gradius wasn't in the 'Six Of The Best'. :?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:19 pm

been at work all day and all bloody night!

Just read the EXCELLENT boulderdash section - and loved it! One of my all time fave games :D

Will read more tomorrow or errrr later today :?

BTW, in the denton designs interview thingy bit - spell my bloody name right!
marKopoloman not marCopoloman :evil: :lol:

Oh, and I'll scan the cover when I get up (at 1ish) if its not already done!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:58 pm

Mayhem wrote:Enjoyed the issue, enjoyed the Konami feature and the Making of Marble Madness. But Shaolin's Road and Pooyan in the "Six of the Best" and no Time Pilot, Gyruss or Gradius? I think Shaolin's Road is an appalling game, no redeeming quality to it at all. Likewise I love Tutankham so was horrified to see it in the other section...
I disagree the fact that Shaolin's Road is an appalling game, I've got the arcade version on MAME on my PC and it has become one of my favourite Retro games as it is so fun, addictive and enjoyable to play. The arcade version of Shaolin's Road is a very recommended Retro Classic Game.

:)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:32 am

Hate to say it but I agree with Yethboth. Loved Shaolins Road on the Speccy and on the arcade. Its a travesty that Time Pilot isn't there though.