Best innovation (in a shoot-em-up)

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JesteR

Post by JesteR » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:05 am

Honestly i don`t know. The last shooter that really impressed me was Gradius for the GBA.

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:49 am

I also loved the Jeep, Heli Co-op from Silkworm

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:52 am

Also I liked the fact in Zybex you started with all the weapons but at low power

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:23 am

The bullet graze scoring system in Psyvariar. It made me play in a different way and made you chase after bullets rather than avoid them.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:26 am

The capture balls for G-Darius, I loved it when you turned them into a massive laser that could counter the boss' massive laser and fill the whole screen with... massive laser.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:12 pm

Full 8-way movement of your ship around the screen for me was the best innovation for shooters. I always found the way in which your ship was stuck at the bottom of the screen in some sort of invisable horizontal forcefield whilst the enemy was "invading", way too frustrating!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:13 pm

Getting your captured ship back in Galaga - and then getting it to double your firepower!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:37 pm

Actually chaining enemies in Ikaruga for the first time... deliberately. Obviously one of the main focuses of the game, it wasn't after plenty of time was logged before I really began to enjoy this one. Simplicity executed to a tee and yet as interesting as ever.

Sadly, I was inspired by Radiant Silvergun to get Ikaruga since a Dreamcast was more accesible at the time but I played Ikaruga first and that is the lasting memory that I will have. At least it isn't a sweep by RS.
paranoid marvin wrote:Docking the ships in Moon Cresta to increase the firepower of your craft was pretty cool too (and totally unheard of) back in the day

also allowing your ship to be captured , then rescuing it in Galaga was again a novel idea
Incidently, there aren't many games like this... that I can think of off-hand. A more recent spin on the capturing and ship doubling idea is Toaplan's Dogyuun. Only 'catch' is that both 1P and 2P must be playing to dock.

I suppose you can use enemy ships of a certain size in Toaplan's Zero Wing, otherwise that is all I have.

Not so much in the way of docking or mating ships, but co-op in any Raiden game (outside Fighters) makes for a more powerful shot.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:49 am

The power-up system in Megadrive shooter Gaiares is pretty innovative - you send out a 'force orb thing' (for want of a better description) and grab new weapons from enemy ships!

Also BlazeOn on the Super Famicom has a similar mechanic but in that one you can actually capture and take over enemy ships.

Oh and I do love the Star Soldier machanism where instead of just being killed when you get shot, it just downgrades your power-up level... until you have none left of course, at which point you actually get killed!
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:51 am

Tumiki Fighters/Blastworks has a pretty decent capture mechanic, where you can bolt multiple enemy sections onto your ship, all at different angles. Also Gigandes where your ships sort of ball shaped and you can attach weapons to all 4 sides and then rotate them around.
Splink!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:21 pm

The black and white ship flippy bullet eating thing in Ikarag... Ikagru... Ikiragu.... you know the one :roll:

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:01 pm

I liked the turncoat mini bosses in Darius Gaiden.

The whole danger mechanic in more modern shmups - like the increase in power when in danger (Bangai O) and scraping in the likes of Psyvariar and XII Stag.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:43 am

just remembered the power up system in cotton 2, its awesome.

you can grab enemies and lob them at other nasties, or you can pull off a street fighter 2 esque special move which encapsulates the baddies a bit like bubble bobble. you can then grab this captured dude and lob it around for 'massive damage' and score multiplers (which power you up) . if you then shoot the captured baddie you get health back.

game looks nice too...

Blue Triangles

Post by Blue Triangles » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:14 am

Probably the graphical effect used in the Konami Snes shoot 'em' up Axelay, on the vertical scrolling sections. I thought it was extremely clever at the time.

Mr_Staypuft

Post by Mr_Staypuft » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:27 am

To me, the most ground-breaking innovation in a shmup happenned in 1981.

At that time, Konami's Scramble was the first (I think*) shooting game
in which the levels advanced, graphically... so you could judge your progress by the scenery.

Previous shmups had static backgrounds, or scrolling starfields that just repeated.
And since then... almost every scrolling shooter has had a series of graphically advancing levels.

*I'm pretty sure Vanguard was later in '81.
(I'm sure someone (eg RevStu) will have a precise answer on this.)