Gamestation... MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mr. Pointless

Gamestation... MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT

Post by Mr. Pointless » Sun May 07, 2006 9:35 am

Basically I bought a DC Game, from one fo their shops. Said game was badly scratched all to hell and couldn't get past the intro. So I returned it, switched it for another game, only to find that there is a manual missing!

Aren't they supposed to put that there's no manual on the price sticker? :? :evil:
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

retro mania

Post by retro mania » Sun May 07, 2006 9:48 am

I wish they were more careful when pricing things in my local gamestation they have two nes both are boxed but one comes with a game yet there both priced at £25.00p. I don't know about anyone eles but whenever I buy something retro from gamestation they look at me like I'm wearing my trousers on my head some people just don't appreiate retro.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun May 07, 2006 9:54 am

So you got a faulty product, exchanged it without fuss for another and you're bitching?

Right.

And no, they don't mark no manual because they assume people can look in the case and see if it's there. They don't remove them. It's a trade-off, you can trade in games without manuals so some you buy there won't.

Not really any other sensible way to run Retro, they'd have virtually no stock if they demanded manuals.

Course some of their staff might be buttheads but that's true of anywhere paying minimum wage.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Mayhem

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Sun May 07, 2006 10:20 am

Dudley wrote:Not really any other sensible way to run Retro, they'd have virtually no stock if they demanded manuals.
Might make people take better care of their games (which is attrocious in general here compared to Japan for example) instead of slinging them around all the time then.

I'd also stop any second trade-ins of sports games too ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Mr. Pointless

Re:

Post by Mr. Pointless » Sun May 07, 2006 10:28 am

Dudley wrote:And no, they don't mark no manual because they assume people can look in the case and see if it's there. They don't remove them. It's a trade-off, you can trade in games without manuals so some you buy there won't.
Uh, this particular store has their "Retro Games" behind the counter
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

preownedgames.co.uk

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Sun May 07, 2006 12:18 pm

Every gamestation has different policies on retro stuff, some shrinkwrap them , some keep them all behind the counter, even the pricing policy doesn't always appear to be the same.

I do find this intresting though (and i'm not trying to plug my site here because it ain't even finished), when I launch preownedgames.co.uk the plan is to have a set price (and trade in) for each game and to deduct 20% for a missing manual and 30% for a missing box, which means "cart only" is worth 50% less than complete, there will also be a "MINT bonus" of 20% for rarer games which will push the price up if it's in really good condition.

So for example, let's say zoo keeper was £10 , the prices would look like this...

cart only - £5
cart and manual - £7
box & cart - £8
complete - £10
Mint condition - £12

Would be interested in seeing if anyone can think of a fairer way of doing things ?

M.A.G

Re:

Post by M.A.G » Sun May 07, 2006 4:36 pm

Dudley wrote:So you got a faulty product, exchanged it without fuss for another and you're bitching?

Right.

And no, they don't mark no manual because they assume people can look in the case and see if it's there. They don't remove them. It's a trade-off, you can trade in games without manuals so some you buy there won't.

Not really any other sensible way to run Retro, they'd have virtually no stock if they demanded manuals.

Course some of their staff might be buttheads but that's true of anywhere paying minimum wage.
Ever gamestation i've been to keeps the instructions with the disk. If its a cart game then the instructions are in the box. If its a disk game then the instructions are with the disk behind the counter. behind the counter

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun May 07, 2006 6:33 pm

I go to Ealing, Maidenhead and High Wycombe.

None of them do. The first 2 leave the manuals in, the last one leaves all the low value stock completely live. That's also the official policy of their owners Blockbuster.

Apologies on that point.

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Mon May 08, 2006 3:44 pm

Dudley wrote:I go to Ealing, Maidenhead and High Wycombe.
I visit High Wycombe too. I actually find the staff quite friendly when you are polite and since I appear to know what I'm on about they treat me with respect - it is probably a hard job what with all the young idiots running around the store and large groups of teenies hanging around looking suspicious.

Example: when I bought my N64 a while back, they chucked a few goodies extra free, including an official Nintendo carrycase :)

I've bought a few Dreamcast games in shoddy condition and if they haven't worked properly they've always been happy to refund.

I don't like some of the prices though... :x

big1aust

Post by big1aust » Mon May 08, 2006 6:30 pm

I've posted before on here about the idiosyncracies and inefficeincy of various branches of Gamestation.

My overall feeling is that , with the odd exception of some good counter staff who live for their games, they simply don't care. Unless you ask them to !!

Their turnover and profit on brand new common top console stuff means that they don't have much time for the retro stuff and , of course , they buy in at such low set prices and then sell their retro stuff at such a high mark-up it barely matters to them.I've seen the same game with a 3 or 4 quid price differential on the same stand, with no discernable difference between the 2, countless times.

My particular local store now know (after 3 years of "covert" raiding) that I intend to buy from them to sell on at a profit and they'll even tell me if they think there's a bargain I might be interested in. If their counter staff get any sales related bonus, it surely isn't on retro stuff , it'll probably be for selling new 360s and PSPs.

I've usually found them polite when I bring a game back that's scratched or the like but 99% of problems are ironed out at the counter because I insist on seeing the disc before I buy in most cases - and they don't mind.

Not always true in some branches but overall they're pretty good about it.

They seem to do some strange things from HQ however one of which was the holding back of all PS1 Final Fantasy titles for a long period of time and then flooding the shelves of every outlet with FF all priced ridiculously high (20 - 25 quid each). Now every outlet I enter seems to have loads of FF all at daft prices !! Anyone else noticed this?

For the example given , I'd have taken the game back and asked for a complete game in good condition, swapping discs, manuals and even boxes (particularly for a DC title) until it met my requirements and it's almost always worked. If you take a game to the counter and you KNOW they have more than one copy, ask to see them all before buying and make up your own best composite of all they have available. If they think you are a serious gamer, many of them will help out as much as they can.

Cheers
big1aust

mementomike

Re:

Post by mementomike » Tue May 09, 2006 4:29 am

Dudley wrote:I go to Ealing, Maidenhead and High Wycombe.

None of them do. The first 2 leave the manuals in, the last one leaves all the low value stock completely live. That's also the official policy of their owners Blockbuster.

Apologies on that point.
They are owned by Blockbuster :/
Thats a bit of a s*$t sitatuation for us gamers then as as much as I think the service in these gamestation places is lousy as hell its the only place on the street I know of where you can walk in and buy retro items.

Blockbuster is going down the pan officially so good luck to gamestation unless Blockbusters switch to online rental helps them in anyway (their a bit late mind).

Problem I find with gamestation is everything they sell thats retro and cheap I can find cheaper on ebay and I aint got to talk to some yob who thinks he knows what hes talking about when it comes to games.

mike

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue May 09, 2006 8:51 am

You kid me. Most Megadrive and Master System stuff in GS is £1 after BOGOF.

You won't even find postage for that 99% of the time on ebay.

I won't comment on Blockbuster except to say I worked there for 2 years until March. If you're wondering about the High Wycombe store it only closed thanks to a REALLY huge bribe from Sainburys.

mementomike

Re:

Post by mementomike » Tue May 09, 2006 12:09 pm

Dudley wrote:You kid me. Most Megadrive and Master System stuff in GS is £1 after BOGOF.

You won't even find postage for that 99% of the time on ebay.

I won't comment on Blockbuster except to say I worked there for 2 years until March. If you're wondering about the High Wycombe store it only closed thanks to a REALLY huge bribe from Sainburys.
sorry should have been more specific and I was now (in hindsight) talking utter b#$%ocks now ive reread it!

What I was meant to say was on my recent dealings with gamestation (which have all been regarding gameboy advance boxed software), you cannot get them any where near as cheap as on ebay. (second hand or new)

Yes your right about the older retro stuff being so cheap (jees im thinking of gameboy advance as retro!). Brought a couple of dreamcast games today for 5 pounds (bogof)

:)

Mike

retro mania

Re:

Post by retro mania » Tue May 09, 2006 12:26 pm

[quote="Dudley"]You kid me. Most Megadrive and Master System stuff in GS is £1 after BOGOF.

Not in my local gs more like about £3 for cart only which is still cheap to be fair. But the prices soon start jumping up for boxed games they have mario kart (snes) boxed for 25 quid.

Mr. Pointless

Re:

Post by Mr. Pointless » Tue May 09, 2006 1:48 pm

mementomike wrote:They are owned by Blockbuster :/
Thats a bit of a s*$t sitatuation for us gamers then as as much as I think the service in these gamestation places is lousy as hell its the only place on the street I know of where you can walk in and buy retro items.
Try Chips. They're pretty good. The Hartlepool store is in an unusual place, which probably explains why it's almost empty, but I've found a few things that GS probably wouldn't touch (Me grins at the PC version of Virtual On I bought there... even though XP says no :D ), and the staff is a damn site better than GS's, mainly because, they're the ones who went to the trouble of setting up shop.