calling all uk Smash bros owners

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:16 am

Getting it in 45 minutes.

I am a little bit excited :)

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:35 am

retrogarden wrote:Getting it in 45 minutes.

come and play with me :wink: My Smash bros Fc 1891-2600-8651

i usually on 10pm ish

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:15 am

video-gamer-girl wrote:
retrogarden wrote:Getting it in 45 minutes.

come and play with me :wink: My Smash bros Fc 1891-2600-8651

i usually on 10pm ish
Okay, make it 45 minutes from now. The first shop - which wasn't a game retailer but is a large supermarket that rhymes with Gorrisons - didn't have it :(.

There's not many Wii owners in Colwyn Bay, 90% of the population are too poor and rather spend money on heroin, but people from more classy areas such as Llandudno and Rhyl have been known to drive to our shops to pilfer our games.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:23 am

Just bought it. Don't really like Smash Brothers, but got caught up in all the hype.

Oh, I have also moced this to 'All about the games'.
Don't know why people have recently started putting game threads in Off Topic :?

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:25 am

I thought I was going to miss the boat on this one, remembered to "pre-order" from Amazon at 4.56pm yesterday (Thursday).

With Nintendo's recent track record I thought I would be waiting weeks, but you never know.

Got an email at 6pm saying "your order has been dispatched"....it's just dropped through the letter box! Right, who's ass shall I lose with first?

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:58 pm

Will probably buy it tomorrow VGG, it better not be sh1t 'cos I was holding out for Soul Calibur IV.

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:53 pm

Any thoughts on it.

First impressions are that it's quite addictive, but don't play it online. It's too slow and there's too much lag :S

Single player and with mates though, it's a good laugh :)

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:57 pm

The online ain't too bad, it does quicken up after a while.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:59 pm

I 'll give you my 1st thoughts. Worst £35 I have spent since I paid to see Cats. Dreadful game. No scratch that, there is no game. Rubbish. Absolute rubbish. I was actually fuming after I played it. What a waste of cash :x

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:52 pm

LOL, you paid to see ats. Didn't you know it was Webber? Started writing musicals at school and he's never elevated past schoolboy dross imho.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:00 pm

SirClive wrote:I 'll give you my 1st thoughts. Worst £35 I have spent since I paid to see Cats. Dreadful game. No scratch that, there is no game. Rubbish. Absolute rubbish. I was actually fuming after I played it. What a waste of cash :x
Never played a Smash Bros. game before then? It's just more of the same with more bells and whistles. It's a game for the fans, it's unlikely to convert anyone.

Only paid £32.97 for mine (Tesco).

Enjoying it so far, love all the references to other Ninty games. Some of the requirements for the unlockables seem a bit harsh...

I've added the Friend Codes on here so far (Mayhem and VGGirl), my code is 0860-4698-0703 if anyone's interested.

Like the idea of being able to assign your own custom taunt comments to the D-Pad for friend matches...could be amusing...
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:05 pm

I wonder where the bells and whistles are, cos I couldn't see them :?
I have played the GC one and tbh wasn't a fan. But I thought they would have moved it forward. I honestly don't see what there is to like about the game.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Got my copy from Tesco, £32.71 (ASDA is the same price)

First thought, loads of copies for sale everywhere, certainly not as desirable as Mario Kart...

Had a few mates round for gaming night tonight... We had a few 4-player battles... None of us had a f**king clue what is going on with this game! First impressions are not good but wll read the manual tomorrow and see if that makes things clearer...
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:17 pm

witchfinder wrote:Got my copy from Tesco, £32.71 (ASDA is the same price)
Um...yes, that's the price I meant, didn't mean to give the impression that Liverpool Tescos are a rip off. :oops:

My thoughts to anyone who's bought it and doesn't get on with it is....stick with it for at least a couple of days before you sell it or trade it in. I never liked Super Smash Bros. on the N64 much, bought the Gamecube one on the wave of hype (much like SirClive did with this one) and didn't get on with that first either....but I stuck with it for a short while, got to learn how the special moves and Smash attacks worked...and slowly but surely it sucked me in, especially once I started doing the challenge mode and '1 vs 100' battles. As you get addicted to unlocking stuff, you find yourself suddenly getting better at the game and enjoying it too.

I can fully understand why lots of first timers are going to hate Smash Bros. though, it certainly isn't Street Fighter 2 and everything just seems like a confusing unplayable mess at first.

But it does get better, honest.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

JesteR

Post by JesteR » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:32 am

Hm, i got the game yesterday and i have to say that i think its bad. I don`t like it at all. I don`t understand all the hype. The fights are bad, controls suck, the camera zoom is sometimes confusing, the adventure mode is.... errr weird and the game feels cheaply made. If i compare it with Street Fighter 2 than the game complety fails in my eyes. I would give it a 60%. The only good thing are the nice render sequences in the adventure mode. But that`s it. For me it`s a bad game and i won`t play it really. I would sell it but i keep it for my Wii collection.